GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,700
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, bradauasd4780
» Online Users: 1,043
2 members and 1,041 guests
g41965, IrishLake

Old 09-07-2004, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Fight Erupts at SDSU Yard Show

I was there last Friday, but had left right when Sigma came on and did not see the fight. The Deltas and AKA was quickly resolved and the show went on. All of that crap aside, all the orgs that took part did a great show.

Fight erupts on Free Speech Steps

Crowd of more than 300 witness violence during dance performance

By Joe Zarro, Editor In Chief

About six young men wearing Omega Psi Phi letters interrupted Phi Beta Sigma's dance performance and assaulted the performers in front of more than 300 students last Friday afternoon.

Students had gathered around the Free Speech Steps to watch members of Phi Beta Sigma perform. The fraternity was participating in a step show, an annual tradition among African-American fraternities and sororities, which are geared to draw interest in the organizations from new students.

The incident quickly turned into a brawl, with members from both fraternities throwing punches, while others attempted to break up the situation.

"As soon as I saw commotion I went over and saw a large group huddled and fighting," SDSU alumnus Derek Koehler said. "It looked like a large group of mixed people. Definitely a lot of people fighting.

"I noticed people who looked like they were in the same club breaking it up. They were breaking it up themselves before any officers got there."

A non-student punched a man wearing Omega Psi Phi letters involved in the initial assault. At least five men wearing Omega Psi Phi letters punched and kicked the man.

When campus police arrived, the fighting had been reduced to pushes and shouts. The suspect, believed by campus police to be the primary instigator, had fled the scene along with several others.

Student witnesses who did not flee were cleared from the area. Suspects were interviewed by officers. According to campus police at the scene, no major injuries occurred and nobody was taken into custody.

Omega Psi Phi, a national African-American fraternity, does not have a recognized chapter at SDSU. The fraternity has only one member who is a student at the university. He was not involved in the incident.

The men who started the fight are believed to be alumni and members from other campuses.

"It's unfortunate (the incident happened) because the step show has been a successful event," Doug Case, coordinator for fraternities and sororities, said.

"It's shameful some non-students marred a good tradition."

Earlier in the afternoon Alpha Kappa Alpha, an African-American sorority, offended the Delta Sigma Theta sorority during its portion of the step show. It started an altercation between women in the audience, but it was resolved without campus police.

"There was a smaller fight between girls who were spectators," biology senior Jeff Rush, who was near the incident, said.

The incident was minor in comparison to the violence that erupted later, but both disputes concern university officials. According to Jack Beresford, assistant vice president of marketing and communications, a university meeting will be held this week to discuss the safety of students during activities on the Free Speech Steps.

A video camera was present during the fraternities' fight and may help campus police in its investigation of the event. Anyone with specific information about the incident is encouraged to call campus police at.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-07-2004, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

this is the second time a bunch of ______ whooped a bunch of ____ out in cali. smh...
Old 09-08-2004, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: On your nearest moniter waiting to be called a b*tch
Re: Fight Erupts at SDSU Yard Show

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaSigStan
I was there last Friday, but had left right when Sigma came on and did not see the fight. The Deltas and AKA was quickly resolved and the show went on. All of that crap aside, all the orgs that took part did a great show.

Fight erupts on Free Speech Steps

Crowd of more than 300 witness violence during dance performance

By Joe Zarro, Editor In Chief

About six young men wearing Omega Psi Phi letters interrupted Phi Beta Sigma's dance performance and assaulted the performers in front of more than 300 students last Friday afternoon.

Students had gathered around the Free Speech Steps to watch members of Phi Beta Sigma perform. The fraternity was participating in a step show, an annual tradition among African-American fraternities and sororities, which are geared to draw interest in the organizations from new students.

The incident quickly turned into a brawl, with members from both fraternities throwing punches, while others attempted to break up the situation.

"As soon as I saw commotion I went over and saw a large group huddled and fighting," SDSU alumnus Derek Koehler said. "It looked like a large group of mixed people. Definitely a lot of people fighting.

"I noticed people who looked like they were in the same club breaking it up. They were breaking it up themselves before any officers got there."

A non-student punched a man wearing Omega Psi Phi letters involved in the initial assault. At least five men wearing Omega Psi Phi letters punched and kicked the man.

When campus police arrived, the fighting had been reduced to pushes and shouts. The suspect, believed by campus police to be the primary instigator, had fled the scene along with several others.

Student witnesses who did not flee were cleared from the area. Suspects were interviewed by officers. According to campus police at the scene, no major injuries occurred and nobody was taken into custody.

Omega Psi Phi, a national African-American fraternity, does not have a recognized chapter at SDSU. The fraternity has only one member who is a student at the university. He was not involved in the incident.

The men who started the fight are believed to be alumni and members from other campuses.

"It's unfortunate (the incident happened) because the step show has been a successful event," Doug Case, coordinator for fraternities and sororities, said.

"It's shameful some non-students marred a good tradition."

Earlier in the afternoon Alpha Kappa Alpha, an African-American sorority, offended the Delta Sigma Theta sorority during its portion of the step show. It started an altercation between women in the audience, but it was resolved without campus police.

"There was a smaller fight between girls who were spectators," biology senior Jeff Rush, who was near the incident, said.

The incident was minor in comparison to the violence that erupted later, but both disputes concern university officials. According to Jack Beresford, assistant vice president of marketing and communications, a university meeting will be held this week to discuss the safety of students during activities on the Free Speech Steps.

A video camera was present during the fraternities' fight and may help campus police in its investigation of the event. Anyone with specific information about the incident is encouraged to call campus police at.
Now see they were just talking about this on another board complaining about how my bruh's are always putting 100 sigmas to 10. They should say some crap about the six Ques that started the damn fight. Screw the bullsh*t. They just asking for a beatdown interrupting my frat's show like that!

Now as far as the Delta/AKA fight, I ain't in that. However, THAT'S Cali greeks for ya. Cali greeks are truely on some other stuff fa real. You think that's bad? Try covering the LB Stepshow.

Imperial1

Last edited by DeltAlum; 09-08-2004 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:34 AM

Imperial,

I edited a couple of words in your last post. Please feel free to PM me if you object. I don't want to delete anything in this thread, but do want this forum to keep higher standards than some others.

Thanks.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:33 AM
Banned

Ummm sounds like a bunch of gangs. All this over who can dance/step better?

-Rudey
Old 09-08-2004, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Ummm sounds like a bunch of gangs. All this over who can dance/step better?

-Rudey
No stupid. All this happened because a few ignorant greeks decided they wanted to disrespect to start some sh*t. That's why the Cali greek scene is on some crazy stuff right now.

Imperial1
Old 09-08-2004, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
Imperial,

I edited a couple of words in your last post. Please feel free to PM me if you object. I don't want to delete anything in this thread, but do want this forum to keep higher standards than some others.

Thanks.
If you gone edit my post, at least make some edits in which there are words that I would say. I don't say stuff like "screw that." lol

Imperial1
Old 09-08-2004, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Imperial1
If you gone edit my post, at least make some edits in which there are words that I would say. I don't say stuff like "screw that." lol

Imperial1

Although mods have many impressive far-reaching powers, mind-reading is not one of them If you are concerned that we would replace your obscenities with words you would not normally use, we suggest that you consider that before posting something we would need to edit.

And in the future, please PM us if you have questions regarding edits/deletions as they will no longer be discussed in the thread.

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2004, 12:07 PM
Banned

I thought about this and instead of having these weird fights, they should have a dance off straight out of Zoolander.

-Rudey
Old 09-08-2004, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: In Purple, Green and Gold wishes and Crawfish Dreams
Send a message via AIM to DIVA1177 Send a message via Yahoo to DIVA1177
Angry

I can remember going to step shows as a child and having a great time. There was a fight or two that I can remember but for the most part you didn't really have all of that foolishness. It is a part of the "brag" factor in step shows. I am sure that whatever the Sigmas said it was not something that the Ques had not heard before. That is not really the point but folks should be BIGGER than to come to blows, IN PUBLIC, WITH LETTERS ON, talking about "reppin the frat". It is really sad.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by DIVA1177
I can remember going to step shows as a child and having a great time. There was a fight or two that I can remember but for the most part you didn't really have all of that foolishness. It is a part of the "brag" factor in step shows. I am sure that whatever the Sigmas said it was not something that the Ques had not heard before. That is not really the point but folks should be BIGGER than to come to blows, IN PUBLIC, WITH LETTERS ON, talking about "reppin the frat". It is really sad.
So you think they should have done a dance off like in Zoolander too? I really want to see a dance off and if any groups adopt it, I'll go to your step show.

-Rudey
Old 09-08-2004, 02:41 PM

Let's drop this gang thing right now. That is stereotyping of the worst kind.

We don't know why or if these two organizations don't like each other in this case, but to intimate that these folks are gang members is wrong.

We will have a civil discussion here.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Just a FYI, it's a Southern California thing.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
Let's drop this gang thing right now. That is stereotyping of the worst kind.

We don't know why or if these two organizations don't like each other in this case, but to intimate that these folks are gang members is wrong.

We will have a civil discussion here.
It's sad when people make an accusation like this to try and create "facts on the ground". Because of you, now people may call this a stereotype or involve race somehow.

This is about getting into fights collectively as a group, hence a gang. Is there wrong with the truth of that? Using your fraternity or sorority as a group to back you and fight another group, well that's what gangs do and it has nothing to do with stereotypes.

-Rudey
Old 09-08-2004, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Dear Moderators,

Can you tell me why my last post was deleted? It appears you are discriminating against me, as my post had nothing in it that broke any rules.

Signed,

Karen