GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,479
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, ReaghanW2002
» Online Users: 2,541
2 members and 2,539 guests
ReaghanW2002

Old 05-07-2004, 03:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Summer Rush 2004

Okay, my summer rush thread from last year (here) was a moderate hit with the GC rush crowd, something different not done or been seen by most people. Since there are some new people who missed it, I've decided to chronicle the summer rush season once again.

This week is finals week (one more to go tommorow for me...in 5 hours). Friday of finals week means that rush apps are given to the houses from all the guys who have sent them in. Should get them tommorow around noon. The process begins with sorting out who the rush chairs are going to call right away, and making sure to pull the apps of guys that are known by members of the house already.

Since I'll be staying in Lincoln this summer I'll be able to post more regularly than I did last summer.

A lot of things are similar, and I'll post a rush schedule later of the types of events we have and where they're at. But of course with new rush chairs there are some new wrinkles as we try to complete our pledge class.

If you have questions about summer rush, please check out my thread from last summer. There is a very complete post from me at the top of the second page. As always if those don't answer your questions, feel free to ask, I realize that for many of you this is entirely foreign way of doing things.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-07-2004, 04:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Sounds like a plan neighbor..

good luck in the coming months!
Old 05-09-2004, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up There is no place like Nebraska

Betarulz!

You did a great job last year and I look forward to reading your 2004 rush thread.

FYI: I did my graduate work at UNL in the early 80's. Even back then, Beta was one of the top houses. Not only did y'all have the respect of the the Greeks but from the rest of the campus and the Lincoln community as well.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!

I LOVED your thread last year. So happy you will post another one!!!!

GOOD LUCK!
Old 05-11-2004, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, Rush is already going at near full steam.

Being in Lincoln this summer, I'm already seeing a difference between my vision of rush this year compared to last. I hung out with the rush chairs last night and so got to hear all of the going ons for bascially what was day one of the rush season.

I also have two guys that I work with that are going to be going through rush this summer and so will be able to add a little about what they are going through.

Basically so, far there were over a 130 some rush apps in by friday, which was the last day of our finals week. This is a very positive sign as it was almost 40 more apps than were turned in last year at this time. Plus there seems to be a lot more out of state guys goign through.

I know that a lot of houses were making calls on friday afternoon due to the guys from work (we'll call them J and D for short - these are made up initials btw) J told me yesterday that he had three lunch meetings already set up for this week with different houses. I haven't talked to D yet, but I'm slightly disconcerted b/c the rush chairs said they didn't see his app. However I'm encouraged b/c the little sister (a lovely ChiO) of one of last years rush chairs gave her approval of D. Considering she got 5 of her friends to sign with us last year, and had approved of at least 3 or 4 others she knew from various conferences and all, she's pretty much like a de facto chapter member. So we'll see what happens.

As for the rush chairs, 2 of them already had 6 meetings with rushees set up each. The other one has 5 so we're already having 17 guys to meet at the end of Day one. Today I know the rush chairs were goign to spend a lot of time cleaning up the house, and not so much time on the phones, but if they timed it right, they hopefully got a lot of the cleaning done before the time when a lot of rushees are getting home from school.

Starting next week, we'll start holding Barbeques at the house on Thursday nights. I'll be out of town next week attending UIFI so I won't have much to say about it. Also, unfortunetly I have my Kaplan course for the MCAT on thursday nights too, so I'll only be able to make the BBQ for little bit less than an hour each week.

Our first rush party is going to be out in Ogallala NE, at the home of the one of our previous rush chairs. It'll be the 29th of May and a chance to hit up Western Nebraska early, and much farther west than a lot of houses travel for events. We've been there for the past 2 years and it's always been a good time. I'll be missing this event though as well, to go to Sioux Falls for my cousin's HS graduation.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Looking forward to reading ya again this year again, it was great last year and you have some great insight!
Old 05-13-2004, 08:29 AM

I really enjoyed your thread last summer. Thanks for sharing again this year! I can't wait to see what happens this summer, especially for you since you'll be in Lincoln to observe everything that's going on.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
I am looking foward to reading all about it!

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 05-14-2004, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay

This will be my only update for the next week because I will be leaving for home tommorow and then be headed to UIFI session 2!

We are planning to give a bid card to a rushee next week when the rush chairs meet with him.

He's in the honors program for comp. sci and management, ACT score of 33, is valedictorian of his HS, state wrestler qualifier, baseball player, and friends with one of my pledge brothers. He was in town and at the house for a weekend during the semester and actually played in Tri-Delts Batters Up softball tournament for us, so he knows a bunch of guys already.

As for J and D.

J will be having lunch with one of our rush chairs today at 1pm, and I'll be working with him tonight so I may just have to give an update when I'm home to let everyone know what he's thought so far. Several of the sorority girls that work with us have told me that they are pushing him away from certain houses and know that he's pretty excited about Beta. I'm really glad that these girls are helping him out, telling him which houses he shouldn't be in. Makes it so I don't have to say as much about the other guys and can just focus on selling Beta.

I worked with D last night, and he told me that he had gotten his first call before he got into work. His rush app was just released to the houses yesterday so that's why. D's stepbrother was a member of my chapter before I got there, so he's kind of a legacy. He's super, super, super excited about Beta, and may be developing into a rush crush, so I'm trying to calm him down a little bit about the whole thing. He is worried about his grades and ACT score comparing to some of the other guys we're rushing. He's afraid we're not going to call him, but I think I allayed his fears a little by telling him that he can always show up and do some of the work on his side.

Since I have the time, I'll give a quick little profile at the types of guys who have meetings set up so far. These are the descriptions the rush chairs posted on our message boards (Obviously all identifying information removed for GC)

Rushee A - FBLA president, all-state honorable mention for basketball, national honor society (NHS), 30 ACT, and 4.0 GPA, prom king

Rushee B - 24 ACT, 3.708, Track, cross country, NHS, and Chess Club.

Rushee C - 25 ACT, 4.0, Baseball player, all district first team football, also a thespian member, NHS...

Rushee D - 32 ACT, 4.0 GPA, football, golf, basketball, student council, Regent's Scholar

Rushee E - 30 ACT, 4.61 GPA, pre-med Peter Kiewet Scholar, Regents Scholar, varsity tennis, baseball, and basketball

Rushee F - 30 ACT, 3.93 GPA, Heisman State Finalist, citizenship award winner, State Honors Scholar, NHS, FBLA

Rushee G - top 3% of his class 30 ACT 4.3 GPA. varsity tennis and basketball and was an all-acadmeic athlete. NHS

Rushee H - 17/249 in his class 28 ACT 4.11 GPA. into community service...

Rushee I - 30 ACT and a 3.95 GPA. Super invovled kid with many leadership positions...has won several awards for English and writing.

Rushee J - Transfer student from a well known University in the south - in HS played sports..class president...33ACT/1490 SAT

Rushee K - 28/226 in his class...30 ACT/1370 SAT/3.936 GPA. varsity golf, was a distinguished scholar, and was in several other clubs. highly recommended from an alumnus.

Rushee L - 30 ACT and a 3.98 GPA. Athletic kid who shows leadership. Placed 8th at the state DECA convention. coaches Baseball for 10 year olds.

Rushee M - 6/433 in his class...33ACT/1430 SAT/4.684 GPA. He is an all-state soccer/many athletic as well as academic honors.

Rushee N - 28 ACT and a 4.3 GPA. class pres, played varsity sports, and was homecoming royalty. Reccomended by a graduating senior

Rushee O - Top 15% of his class 26 ACT and 3.8 GPA. cross country lacrosse, shows leadership, and did a good amount of community service.

Rushee P - 33ACT/1440 SAT/3.84 GPA. seems like a really involved kid with lots of community service. (Rush chair talked with rushee's mother for 15 minutes before the rushee got home...always promising when you get the parents involved, and I bet few other houses would do similar things)

Rushee Q - 31 ACT and 3.7 GPA. Was recognized as "Mr. <name of HS Here>" on student council, senior class board, and was in several other clubs

Rushee R - 34 act 4.06 gpa Co-captain of football team, peter kiewit distinguished scholar,student council rep, president of National honor society (little brother of one of my best friends - she's a Theta)

Rushee S - 28 act 4.409 gpa Deca President, student council, baseball, basketball, tennis

Rushee T - 30 act- 3.65 gpa- Frisbee golf Club, latin club, weekly trips to elementary school as a reading tutor, national honor society

Rushee U - 29 act-94.3 gpa, like a 3.8 -really involved, if you want to read about him call me or something cause i am not going to write it all. <-------this is what the rush chair actually wrote. Comes reccomended by one of my pledge brothers too

So these are the guys who have been called and had meetings set up from the first batch of applications. As you can see, some ridicuosly high quality guys. Just going through and reading all of the things these guys have done has me seriously impressed. Hopefully we sign some of these guys. I should make it a point though to say that we will still be meeting tons of kids throughout the summer. Guys will be coming through during New Student Enrollment, and there will be more apps trickling in each week. Plus these are only the guys who have meetings...some guys have been called but nothing set up. Also we can always count on some guys to just show up at our rush events.

Anyways, sorry for the length, and thanks for sticking through it if you made it this far.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SiKeS
jeeez if I was rushing with those guys, i'd be quite a bit self-concious also...
Old 05-14-2004, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Dam! I'm happy that I wasn't rushing with these guys! Sounds like you have some really great guys going through! Good luck on getting them!

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 05-14-2004, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Baltimore, MD - Missing Sitting on the Green Monster with Johnny Damon and Teddy Bruschi
Send a message via AIM to PlymouthDZ
Wow.. sounds like no matter who you choose.. you're getting a phenomenal group of men.. Best of Luck!!!
Old 05-16-2004, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

wow...
impressive credentials and this is just the first round.
have fun.
i know you'll be successful.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, that first group of rushees has great stats. Good luck with them!

I missed your thread last summer so I went back and read some of it. Really interesting! I'm looking forward to reading about this summer's rush!
Old 05-17-2004, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Update

Okay, so a quick update

J had a great meeting with our rush chair last week. The rush chair told me that he felt that he could have given J a bid card then and been confidant that he made a good decision. So J just has to come to the house and meet some more guys and it looks like he'll be getting his card. The rush chair said that he really liked the way J carried himself and was real social and said things that made our rush chair think that Beta was the place for J.

I got to see the new batch of rush apps last week too, before I left, and they weren't nearly as impressive - I think that the rush chairs only pulled three apps to call out of the about 25 in this second batch, and none of those three were of the same quality of the 21 I've outlined. But I guess, considering there were only 21 guys out of the first 130-140 that we set up meetings with, then obviously there isn't always going to be guys in every group that we feel we have to meet with ASAP- once the summer gets farther along the number of meals out the rush chairs have will decrease some. The rush chairs are also realizing that they can call some of the other guys who are such studs and invite them to events rather than necessarily taking them out.

An arguement similar to last years rush about the importance of the app is simmering right now. One of the guys in question has us in a sticky situation. The kid is the little brother of an APhi that is really an excellent friend of Beta. She's dated two guys in the house and is friends with many of us. Her lil Bro has even come with her to some parties of ours and so most guys know and like him, but his app isn't so hot. I think he's been called and I would bet taht if he got a bid card he'd sign immediately, but it's a question of whether he should get a card. I think that he should simply b/c we need guys who show add something a little different. Plus I feel like we know this kid pretty well, many of us have met him and like him as a person, and if he got in he would fit into the chapter and would be everyone's friend.

There's also another kid who is actually good friends with J, and he has a 34 ACT but a 3.0 GPA, plans to walk on to the football team. Questioned simply because of the dichotomy of his ACT and GPA.

So that's it for now.

The Rush chairs have meetings set up everyday this week throughout the state from Omaha to Ogallala, and even one kids in the Kansas City area. Busy week no doubt, and of course the first rush BBQ. Some guys might get a bid card that night. Who knows by the time I next update we might have two pledges.