GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,665
Threads: 115,520
Welcome to our newest member, aanneaeswifta59
» Online Users: 1,824
2 members and 1,822 guests
naraht, Xidelt

Old 12-13-2007, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Concussion Experiences

As I write this, my husband is on his way home with our son, who sustained a light concussion during a wrestling match. The coach says he's disoriented.

Has anyone had experiences with concussions? Has anyone had lasting side effects from them?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

If I remember properly, you should wake him up and make sure he's oriented every two hours for the first 24 hours. If he doesn't seem alert, is drooling or whatever, then you need to take him back to the ER.

Unless he has several severe concussions, it shouldn't be a problem. Was he unconscious for long?
Old 12-13-2007, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
If I remember properly, you should wake him up and make sure he's oriented every two hours for the first 24 hours. If he doesn't seem alert, is drooling or whatever, then you need to take him back to the ER.

Unless he has several severe concussions, it shouldn't be a problem. Was he unconscious for long?
That was the drill I followed after my room mate received one.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I experienced a concussion after being hit head on by a drunk driver. It was mild (even though my car had no air bag, thank God for me wearing my seatbelt) but my mom insisted on me having an MRI to make sure all was ok (and it was). I have not had any long term effects as far as the brain goes however my nasal septum was crushed and I have had to have 3 rhinoplasties. I hope your son is ok.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I had a concussion when I was ten years old. I wasn't unconscious for very long but it wasn't considered "mild."

My parents did the same thing Honey mentioned with waking me up every few hours and making sure I was alert. I had a headache for several days but no lasting damage.

I'm sure you'll be watching him like a hawk so as long as he can focus when you wake him he should be just fine.

Best wishes for a smooth and speedy recovery.

ETA: It's not unusual to be disoriented at first. I definitely was. That part cleared up after about 8 to 10 hours as I recall.

Last edited by Leslie Anne; 12-14-2007 at 01:53 AM. Reason: more stuff to write
Old 12-14-2007, 03:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I had a concussion when I was 9 y/o (after a slip and fall in a flooded restroom at school). From what I remember, the doctor/nurse checked my eyes throughout the night to make sure I was conscious. I was released from the hospital the next day with no complications.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I've had a minor one from a soccer collision.
There's the "keep you awake for 24 hour" bit, which I think my mom did for a bit, but then just checked on me to make sure I was sleeping fine. The checking the eyes is to make sure the pupils are equally dilated because one not working right is a sign of damage. The disorientation fades, it's just the brain trying to sort itself back out again.

The biggest thing I heard was NOT to do anything that would get you re-concussed for however long your brain was recovering from it, a concussion on top of an existing one is a lot more dangerous.

But you don't need to bubble wrap the kid's head or anything, just no wrestling until the doctor says.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Best wishes for a speedy recovery to the "man-child" of the Carnation Nation. I've never known you had sons too!?!
Old 12-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, NutBrnHair, we have 4 sons from 7 to 17!

Turns out that both our son and another wrestler were thrown on their heads (both flagrant fouls) during matches. I also found out that the same thing happened to a kid from the school where I teach when they wrestled this same school...plus another of my students got punched in the head.

Both boys are still a little spacy but much more with it today. However, they can't wrestle for at least 2 weeks.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

have the refs never heard of a dq?

i hope that "carnason" is feeling better and is fully recovered when he goes back to wrestling.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Ooo! Bad pun! I feel so awful about 'carnason' that I might let him have that FSU shirt back. For a short time.

Drolefille, you were right, the coach says that the 2 boys can't wrestle until the doctor clears them...in 2 weeks. My husband, who teaches at their school, said that several teachers commented to him that their eyes looked kinda glazed. Our kids have been injured in various sports but a concussion is a new one for us.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:13 PM

My husband was mugged when he was 12, and wound up with a concussion. He doesn't remember the incident. He was kept in the hospital for 2 days. When he was discharged, the doc told his mother he should take it easy... so my super-over-protective MIL forbade him from participating in ANY extracurricular activities for the rest of the school year. Y'know, because it's so easy to get a concussion from singing in the choir. Anyway, he was back at school about a week after the attack.

Hope your son and the other wrestler have speedy recoveries.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

If they were really concerned, they wouldn't have sent him home quickly. Sometimes they'll keep someone on the 23 hour stay unit to keep an eye on them. Hope they feel better soon (and I hope someone does something about the vicious wrestling team too)
Old 12-15-2007, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
My husband was mugged when he was 12,
Did anyone else have a Friends moment? Phoebe and Ross? Just me?
Old 12-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Banned

One of my sisters had a nanny who shook her baby. There was no injury involved until she saw the video (hidden in a stuffed animal). She slapped the nanny, who denied the whole episode. People are so stupid.