GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,666
Threads: 115,521
Welcome to our newest member, banessjnry522
» Online Users: 880
0 members and 880 guests
No Members online

Old 11-17-2000, 08:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Post VERY disheartened

Ok, correct my spelling if I mispelled disheartened.

Anyway, last night, Bryan brought home a stack of tests that needed to be graded. He's student teaching in a 7th grade geography class.

The students had to label a map of the world. Some of the things were slightly hard. Here's the list. Forgive me if I spell anything wrong

Greenland
Los Angeles
New York
North America
Mexico City
South America
Boinos Aries
United Kingdom
London
Europe
Africa
Mogadishu
Madagascar
Nile River
Caspian Sea
Mediteranian Sea
Bay of Bengal
India
Saudia Arabia
Asia
Indian Ocean
Japan
Phillipeans
Austrailia

Ok. Anyway, 7th graders were putting NEW YORK CITY as an island in the atlantic ocean. Los Angeles as cities in Russia, North America in Europe, the Indian Ocean in the Pacific, the Nile river in Russia, the UK in Holland, the Mediteranian in the Artic Ocean. . .

Is this what our future is going to look like?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-17-2000, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

If I have any say in it, no one will pass my class if they don't know when to use apostrophes, or other basic grammar rules. But that's sad....7th grade!!!
Old 11-18-2000, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

When I took World Geography in high school, there were some sophomores in my class. One of them said "You need a passport to go to Texas, right?" Another girl couldn't find Arkansas (we're in Louisiana - those states TOUCH OURS!) and she said "oh so THAT'S where Arkansas is!" when I pointed it out to her.

Another guy couldn't find the equator. Although, I don't think he could read or write either...
Old 11-18-2000, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

That is disheartening to see them miss those geographical locations. It could be that some of those kids are challenged. I dont think I ever missed those kinds of questions though. However, I was learning disabled through most of junior high and high school. It didnt stop me from writing great term papers though, or completing college. I guess everyone has their own learning style. I was never a test person, so I guess those kids just need to work extra hard if they want to make it.
Old 11-19-2000, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Goodness, it is sad!

In high schools, it is very sad! The students are graduating and cannot WRITE! They cannot write a sentence correctly, not to mention a paragraph. I'm not going to mention a TERM PAPER. I was like dayum! These are REGULAR ED students. I teach Special Ed and I'm like, those regular ed students need to be taught like special ed students with all the MODIFICATIONS AND ACCOMMODATIONS.

Yet, once ALL these kids get out into the working world, all the MODS AND ACCOMMs will be OUT THE WINDOW!

These are the kids who are supposed to take care of us?!!?!!? HELP US ALL!
Old 11-20-2000, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

mgdzkm433,
sorry,but you asked for corrections :-)
it is
Buenos Aires
Mediterranian Sea
Philippines

Other than that, I feel strongly with you. Those results are horrid!
Best,
matthewg
Old 11-20-2000, 08:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Matt, my weekness through school was spelling--as you can see.

The sad thing about what I had to say, this wasn't a handful of students. Out of 6 periods--all 7th grade geography--the least missed on the map was 3. Which is ok. BUT--most students missed between 10-14. Only a HANDFUL out of 6 classes did ok. Nobody made an A on the test. Bryan was pretty upset. He had 6 weeks teaching a 10th grade honors ancient history class, then he went to 7th grade geography for 6 weeks, his six weeks will be up on the 29th. He has been working with these kids on labeling maps since he got there--almost 6 weeks ago, and now on the test, they can't even tell where New York City is!! I think it's not only sad, but scary!! I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't the greatest student--not by any means, but I have NEVER thought New York City was an Island in the Atlantic Ocean!

I would understand if it were a few students, and they sort of slipped through the system, but this is a whole CLASS of students. I admit, West Virginia's school systems aren't great, but darn it, we aren't THIS bad!!!

Ok, open for discussion--what things do you think should be done to prevent things like this? Should parents be held responsible? Teachers? The Students? Should we be proposing new programs in schools? Should we cut classroom sizes? Should there be more discipline? What do YOU think?
Old 11-20-2000, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

MediterranEan Sea

(Sorry, but YOU went there! )

Quote:
Originally posted by matthewg:
mgdzkm433,
sorry,but you asked for corrections :-)
it is
Buenos Aires
Mediterranian Sea
Philippines

Other than that, I feel strongly with you. Those results are horrid!
Best,
matthewg
I thought that geography was a subject taught in ELEMENTARY school! How can children progress to 7th grade and not know such basic information? How can we as a society create internationally aware citizens if they don't know where other countries are located?! This is truly a SAD commentary on our educational system.

------------------
mccoyred

Dynamic
Salient
Temperate

Real Women Dream of Wearing Crimson and Creme
Old 11-20-2000, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by mgdzkm433:
I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't the greatest student--not by any means, but I have NEVER thought New York City was an Island in the Atlantic Ocean!
Actually, NYC IS an island in the Atlantic Ocean. Sorry, had to say it. I agree with the rest of your points though.

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Old 11-20-2000, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Technically speaking Corbin, NYC is on a peninsula, it IS called the Island of Manhattan, but if you look at a map it is not an island. Of course, Statan and Long Islands are islands, but technically, NYC isn't on an island.

[This message has been edited by mgdzkm433 (edited November 20, 2000).]
Old 11-20-2000, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mgdzkm433:
Technically speaking Corbin, NYC is on a peninsula, it IS called the Island of Manhattan, but if you look at a map it is not an island. Of course, Statan and Long Islands are islands, but technically, NYC isn't on an island.
Hey, point well taken. I had never looked that closely, and have never been to NYC. One would assume though, that if they called it an island, it would be an island. I guess that's what I get for thinking Thanks for the correction.

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Old 11-20-2000, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Where I live, parents can sign a waiver so that their failing children can pass to the next grade in elementary school. It is a very embarrasing practice. But that would explain why some of our children don't know basic information.
Old 11-20-2000, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Manhattan is an ISLAND NOT a peninsula.

The island of Manhattan is only reachable by bridges, tunnels and ferries.

NYC, however, is NOT an island. Basically because NYC encompasses Manhattan, Staten Island, Brooklyn, Bronx and Queens. Queens and Brooklyn are connected to Long Island, but are NOT considered a part of it. Bronx is north of the rest of NYC, connected basically to upstate NY.

So, NYC is not an island in the Atlantic but Manhattan sure it. And since most people mistakenly only refer to Manhattan when talking about NYC, the student is not technically correct but is to some degree.
Old 11-20-2000, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mccoyred:
[B]MediterranEan Sea

(Sorry, but YOU went there! )

Oups - you are so right, I am very sorry!
Old 11-20-2000, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MIDWESTDIVA:
But that would explain why some of our children don't know basic information.
It's not only our children, but some of our peers (present company EXCLUDED) who don't know basic things like the capitol of the state in which they reside, the name of the President, that Washington D.C. and Washington state are 2 different places on opposite ends of the country.

I've noticed, in GA at least, that there's been a shift from teaching the basics: Math, English grammar and composition, geography, spelling, civics & government, etc. to teaching the material that is on these "end all, be all" standardized tests. I remember taking standardized tests when I was in public school in NJ. We were told not to study for them, that we were going to run into things we hadn't been taught but DON"T WORRY ABOUT IT. Now it's all about teaching the test which is most likely comprised of things these kids will literally never see again, not even in an applied sense. It's times like these that I'm glad I grew up in the 80's, but at the same time I'm afraid of what the "educational" system available for my children will be like. No wonder parents choose to home-school their kids.