GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,659
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, KamCumming
» Online Users: 1,438
1 members and 1,437 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 03-19-2004, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Thinking about rushing

Hi. I'm thinking about rushing for a fraternity, if it ends up being my thing. I have some questions about doing so, though. It's the middle of march here (Just got out of my last class before spring break), and all of the get-togethers are either exclusive to greeks, or you never hear about them. This makes me wonder how I'm supposed to get to know a group if they are so to theirselves. Someone told me you don't do that until rush, but how are you supposed to get to know someone in a week's time?

These are just some things I don't get, but if someone would like to enlighten me on this, I'd be more than happy to listen.

SMSUBear
Old 03-19-2004, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
when are you planning on rushing? next semester?
Do the fraternities on your campus have parties at the end of the semester or so? That's usually how the guys here get to know fraternities. Or ask a guy wearing letters in your classes.

Good luck though. It's very rare that I see a male potential new member starting a rush thread. It's refreshing.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm kinda afraid no one will be interested in giving me a bid. I rushed once, and got a bid from one fraternity, but to be truthful, they were way too wild for me. They were nice, but I don't think I ever saw them not drunk. They would all get drunk during their rush parties, and you're not supposed to do that. I actually ended taking off the next semester, and when I came back, that fraternity wasn't there anymore. I don't know where they went. There's an apartment at the old house, and I can't find anything on the school's website telling me what happened or where they went to. I'm also kinda afraid that the same thing will happen if I join a fraternity

I wasn't ready to rush before, and I'm not going to accept a bid just because I got one (even if it is the only one).

SMSUBear
Old 03-19-2004, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you have national fraternities at your campus or are they locals (meaning they are only at that campus.) You said your campus is smaller so I am wondering if it's the latter (or a mix).

I would give it another try honestly. Obviously you have some experience going through the recruitment process. Technically all campuses should have a dry rush period (ie no alcohol) and if the group doesn't follow that rule, that should be a red flag for sure.

Go with who you feel comfortable with, not where ALL the guys are going. And go in with an open mind. I have known guys join up with a fraternity that was "the" fraternity on campus. They didn't last very long.

But have some confidence!

ETA: nevermind the first paragraph. i did a little research and you have:
Alpha Gamma Rho
Alpha Gamma Sigma
Alpha Kappa Lambda
Alpha Phi Alpha
Delta Chi
Iota Phi Theta
Kappa Alpha
Kappa Alpha Psi
Kappa Sigma
Phi Beta Sigma
Phi Delta Theta
Sigma Chi
Sigma Phi Epsilon
Sigma Pi
Theta Chi
on your campus.

Last edited by chideltjen; 03-19-2004 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sure there are brothers of the groups in your classes...try doing group work with them or asking to study with them and get to know them that way. Also, just approach them! Let them know you are interested in their org. and you'd like to get an invite so you could get to know more of the guys better.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks. I go to SMSU (Southwest Missouri State University). It's about 18,000 people (13,000 full time), and the school has about 1,400 greeks. It's fairly large, almost all of the sororities are over 100 people, and the fraternities are usually around 50 people).

I'd still like to know what happened to the fraternity who gave me a bid. Just in case they got the boot, I won't say their name, but they aren't on their school website, or their fraternity website. I haven't seen any of them around campus either, now that I think about it. Hmmmmm...

SMSUBear
Old 03-19-2004, 04:58 PM

Try looking at back issues of your school's newspaper online (if it's online) or on the fraternity's website. You might be able to find out what happened that way.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SMSUBear
I'd still like to know what happened to the fraternity who gave me a bid. Just in case they got the boot, I won't say their name, but they aren't on their school website, or their fraternity website. I haven't seen any of them around campus either, now that I think about it. Hmmmmm...
They could have had their recognition pulled. You said that they were drinking during rush. Maybe the school had been following them for a while and when you left, they did something that was the final straw and they had to disappear.

I won't speculate. But do what 33girl said and check newspaper archieves... or hell... search around here. Hoosier always seems to find articles on greek orgs that are having issues.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by starburst21
I think they also have/had Lambda Chi Alpha. (And no, I haven't heard anything about their chapter getting dropped--but I guess it's possible?)
Wasn't Lambda Chi, but I was wondering why the Theta Chi's took their big ol house. Big step up for TX, cause they were in a regular house about a half of a mile away from campus.

My Cousin was a Lambda Chi. He went to Truman State.

SMSUBear
Old 03-19-2004, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I know the SigEp chapter there is pretty good one of my friend's brothers is in it. Otherwise check out Sigma Chi..okay I might be partial
Old 03-19-2004, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bsp-mich24
I think you should go for it like Jen (Chideltjen) said, keep an open mind & follow your heart. I know it is a different setup for the guys but you may want to check out 2-3 groups like the others have mentioned.

Good Luck and please keep us posted (some of us are "rush thread junkies)!
Old 03-19-2004, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by starburst21
Just out of curiosity, what's your major?
Dietetics... I'm not a muscle head, but I'm big on eating healthy (my gf told me that was cause I am a Virgo).

SMSUBear

Last edited by SMSUBear; 03-25-2004 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

LXA is no longer on SMSU Campus, various reasons, but I would imagine all of the reasons for being Dis Chartered can be lumped into one word :"Stupidity"!

Of course, the correct word would be "Risk Management".

Yes, I would defently try to contact Members. If you just blend into the crowd, you can go unoticed. Not knowing rush schedual at SMSU or how the add PNM I cannot give to much advice.

Good luck, I think there are many Good Fraternitys there!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-20-2004, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

hijak/ I am just excited to see people mention Truman State! I went there and don't run into that many people who know the school.

SMSUBear is your cousin a current member or an alum? (just curious)

end hijak/
Old 03-20-2004, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

He's alum, graduated last year or the year before... I can't remember.

Truman State is ranked the best public university in the midwest which doesn't offer a doctorate program. They have their ducks in a row.

SMSUBear