GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,665
Threads: 115,520
Welcome to our newest member, aanneaeswifta59
» Online Users: 1,308
2 members and 1,306 guests
KDKells, Zach

Old 08-03-2003, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

What Direction is Men's Fashion Going?

So I work at the Gap on weekends (if they schedule me), and today I was putting the new Men's Low-Rise Boot Fit Jeans on the sales floor. These jeans are $68.00. Over the past two years I have seen men's clothing at several stores get slimmer and slimmer, and generally more feminine. In my opinion some of the stuff thats out today is ok, but a lot of it is terrible. Fellas what do you think about this?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-03-2003, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

i agree...some stuff is really cool, and makes you look better than the plane old jeans. but some stuff goes over the line and should only be worn in places like europ where most people are open to different things. i know i would not roll into a party at my house with a pair of ass tight jeans wih all kinds of crap on them.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Personally I think that guys fashion is getting more feminine and feminine. It's kinda getting gross. I'm sorry but I really don't want to see my boyfriend in jeans that have a lower rise than mine!
Old 08-03-2003, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I'm not a guy, but mens' fashion was a hot topic in my Fashion Forecasting class last semester so I'm gonna comment on it anyway. Both mens' and ladies' fashion are being influenced a lot by the Euro-trash look, but I think that's just a phase in the return to a more dressed-up style. For the past ten years or so, mens' fashion has gotten more casual (hence all the baggy jeans and polo shirts), but now we're seeing more men who want a more polished look, especially at work. A guy in my class did a presentation about mens' businesswear, and from his research he predicted that suits will make a comeback to replace the "business casual," which was terrible anyway. I tend to agree with him, from what I've seen. So don't worry about the tight pants...they'll be replaced soon enough.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree - a few stores (like Structure/Express) which I used to really like have gotten more into clubbing clothes, and in my opinion, more feminine.

Some stores are fighting the urge to go that way - but many have gone downhill that way.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Just got back from the Galleria! MY, OH MY! You are sooooo right about Express-I was looking for the eyelet lace! A&F-we did a circle of the place and left. I SWEAR they purposely wrinkled their clothes and tore them up...it looked cheap and trashy. UGLY!!!

Went to Lacoste, picked up one shirt and saw this guy wearing the tightest jeans and the girl next to him-well, they looked like the anorexic twins!

We went to the standards but skipped AE and popped in and out of GAP-by the end of the day, EVERY shirt looked the same and very little imagination as far as color shades were concerned.

NICE SHOES though. Have you seen the new style? Really nice looking. Jeans, polos, rain jacket, 2 prs of shoes, 2 long sleeves 2 short sleeves and shorts-put on top of our last little jaunt and he's pretty well set. Banana Republic had some cute things for women though-nice skirts!

WHY are they still selling cargo shorts-they have been around sooooooo long. He didn't pick any up, but several of the stores are still pushing them. Are they STILL "in"?

Last edited by justamom; 08-03-2003 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to steelepike Send a message via Yahoo to steelepike
Gay Gay Gay very Gay.

not trying to upset anyone but thats my take on some of the great new fashions out for us guys. Looks like I am gonna keep wearing my unhip threads
Old 08-03-2003, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm more into the casual businesswear, and casual preppy (Polos, kakhis, etc.)

I still like some of Express' jeans, and some of their polos, but that's it.

I'm a huge fan of Polo and Brooks Brothers, but don't have the money - so I get by with what I can, even if most places are going down the toilet.

Gap is still decent, and you can get some good stuff at department stores - some of the best bets are the outlet stores though (Polo outlet stores have some really good stuff at really good prices).

Collin
Old 08-03-2003, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I went to Express for men with a friend tryign to find him a club outfit. The clothes are almost GIRLY. They had this pink ruffly shirt, no lie. Purple too. More power to guys if they like that kind of thing, but I personally would not be attracted to that at all.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I go for the "causal preppy" look as well, but lately all the mens stores have the "refugee" look. Ripped jeans, wrinkled clothes, muted colors. The one new thing that I bought were the relaxed boot fit jean from the gap. Surprisingly they are comfortable. Justamom the cargo shorts are still in. On my campus it seems that all people wear when it gets warm.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
I was watching something yesterday that said that men's fashion is going toward a more "European" standard, which means clothes that fit closer to the body, that are well-tailored, and that men will learn to pick -- and love -- excellent accessories. Personally, I say "Hallelujah!" I'm so tired of the baggy Abercrombie-esque jock/prep look on men.

I'm secretly trying to sneak things like this into MisterMadly's wardrobe.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:52 AM
Super Moderator

I really don't go into the GAP anymore at all. Everything in that store at least to me seems pretty feminine. I buy most of my stuff at the Dept. Stores and A&F. Those at least for the most part seem to be pretty "normal" by my book.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-04-2003, 07:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Matt, I was wondering about those shorts!

HA! The shirts are like those from an old SHAFT movie! I swear I saw some just like them in YEEEEEEEEARS past.

We did step into some of the European brand stores and OH MY,
my son just looked like WT??? He too is very casual preppy-but likes his jeans and shorts looser than I do. At least they aren't
down to his ankles!

One place that really gets to me is the Buckle-their employees really try to sell you EVERYthing. She tried to get ME to try on some of their stuff! Yeah-Right!
Old 08-04-2003, 08:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I feel like less and less people are wearing cargo pants - I stopped wearing them because they were always too big on me - I'd rather just go in a regular pair of kakhis or jeans that fit a bit better.

I know by the time I graduated not too many people were still wearing the cargos - I stopped around junior year, and now don't really like the bagginess of them anymore.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, they've been replaced by less baggier, carpenter-style and its spinoffs.

A lot of CRL tends to find it's way into my wardrobe, with the odd lesser brand of a Brody or Point Zero.