GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,666
Threads: 115,521
Welcome to our newest member, banessjnry522
» Online Users: 1,259
2 members and 1,257 guests
g41965

Old 04-21-2003, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Introducing ASC, What's in a name? Are all mulicultural GLOs "inc"

Hi, I'm co-founder of a 'local' fraternity, which is by it's very nature both instantly multicultural, and national. Confused? Please read on.

The question before you today regards multinational. Are all multinational fraternities "incorporated." We're incorporated as far as our being a non-profit organization goes, but I'm pretty sure that isn't what's meant by "incorporated." Do multiculturals go national via NIC, or some other national fraternal body?

The fraternity is also social and somewhat professional: membership is limited to individuals who either have a degree and are working professionals in the Intelligence or National Security communities, or are actively enrolled in IS or NS graduate degree programs, or undergraduate programs - with the expressed objective of earning a master's.

Bottom line: Alpha Sigma Chi is the world's first cyber GLO - or at least the first one focused on the Intelligence and National Security studies/professional communities.

The fraternity has been under wraps and under construction for some time, but our official internal founding date is 04-02-03. One professor and two students at American Military University founded the organization. AMU is part of the American Public University system. AMU is accredited, but not a brick and mortar university.

On its face that's not a righteous reason to found a GLO, I understand that, and we fully understand that we're breaking from tradition in this one regard. However, cyber does not mean limited to online undergrad and grad courses, not at all.

Much of our market share (and we know the demographics) is comprised of students at universities that do not feature a residential Greek community - this is our niche - our target audience. When's the last time someone posted here who goes to National Defense University, Joint Military Intelligence College, or Armed Forces Staff College? Answer: probably never - not unless they went Greek at some other institution, and that's rare - because most of them went to an academy, like USNA, or a private academy, like VMI.

The same thing holds true for already credentialed professionals, like myself. We didn't have the opportunity to go Greek - and frankly, that sucks.

Our fraternal ties will be for life - like a Mason, only a traditional GLO in every way, other than not being residential. Our initiation process is already structured, and it is a challenge, but one undertaken with the goal of teaching the true meaning, connotation, and weight of terms like "brotherhood."

Anyone, including a student or professional from an Allied nation, who meets the definition described above can apply. Acceptance depends on motive, demonstrative commitment, and potential for contribution (in terms of volunteerism, not financial).

Grades are not a consideration. We don't want to know what some 50-year-old spook's (community name for a spy) GPA was back in the day. That, and the fact that mentally challenged people do earn degrees, and do make a vital contribution to national defense in the focus communities. Those individuals are welcome in ASC.

Race, sexual orientation, politics and spirituality are non-issues for the most part. Politics cannot be anti-American in agenda or action: pledging allegiance to the Flag of the United States is a requirement - "under God," so that is self-exclusionary for hard-over atheists.

National? When we have 5k members spread all over the US we'll ask NIC, or the appropriate concern, to tell us if we're national.

Incorporated? Yes, we're a corporate entity, but what does that mean in the Greek community, does that extend to multicultural, or is that strictly an African-American convention?

www.alphasigmachi.com Check us out from time to time and watch us grow!

Last edited by Dfran; 04-21-2003 at 03:42 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-22-2003, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's the "problem" with the phrase "go national" in your case (and I don't mean this as a negative on your fraternity in any way). Usually, a first chapter is established at one school. Other chapters are established elsewhere, until you have enough that you, the guys who run it, feel that you're national - you don't have to do it through NIC or any other umbrella conference.

However, it sounds as if membership in your org is not restricted by school. Thus, how do you define a "chapter" and add a second or third one? Because "national" in the case of GLOs means "more than one chapter, geographically spread out a bit."

So I would think you can't "go national." Your organization can't be organized logically into a chapter system. Now that doesn't mean you aren't national to begin with. It's just a big gulf separating you from most other GLOs. Chapter organization is one of the major hallmarks of Greek life - NIC, NPC, NPHC, multi-cultural and non-collegiate alike. So it's interesting to see a GLO modeled differently - but I wouldn't worry about the concept of going national in your case.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree that this is how it appears on its face... The thing is that there will be chapters at schools other than AMU. That's just the jumping off point. All the schools I mentioned are but a smattering.

If there's three guys XYZ University and they want to start a chapter that's encouraged. Doesn't have to be a non-residential situation. The whole idea of letting already degreed professionals in is to not limit membership to active college students.

The reason for this is that most of the men in the Intel and NS world have not had the opportunity to be in a GLO. You'll see a thousand academy rings for every mainstream private university class ring with Greek letters.

The plan is to advertise and network the existence of ASC through venues like greekchat, and campus news media, and word of mouth in the community, in order to attract candidates who're in those non-traditional, non-residential schools. They will in turn establish a chapter when the numbers are self-supporting.

At residential schools there are professionals who're seeking advanced degrees in the economy (civilian world), and they too can start a chapter. This should prove especially true at universities like George Mason, Georgetown, and Maryland U, which offer International Affairs and National Security degrees. Being located in "the District" there are probably thousands of graduate students in those fields whose profession is in National Security or Intelligence: representing the active duty military, civil service, and defense contractor communities.

Quote:
Originally posted by FuzzieAlum
Here's the "problem" with the phrase "go national" in your case (and I don't mean this as a negative on your fraternity in any way). Usually, a first chapter is established at one school. Other chapters are established elsewhere, until you have enough that you, the guys who run it, feel that you're national - you don't have to do it through NIC or any other umbrella conference.

However, it sounds as if membership in your org is not restricted by school. Thus, how do you define a "chapter" and add a second or third one? Because "national" in the case of GLOs means "more than one chapter, geographically spread out a bit."

So I would think you can't "go national." Your organization can't be organized logically into a chapter system. Now that doesn't mean you aren't national to begin with. It's just a big gulf separating you from most other GLOs. Chapter organization is one of the major hallmarks of Greek life - NIC, NPC, NPHC, multi-cultural and non-collegiate alike. So it's interesting to see a GLO modeled differently - but I wouldn't worry about the concept of going national in your case.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Ah, I didn't realize that you were really tied to that school. In that case, ignore my message!
Old 04-25-2003, 02:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
National - I think that FuzzieAlum is on target in that you don’t need NIC or anyone else’s blessing to be “national.” It depends on what your governing body decides. Now certain umbrella groups have different criteria for membership that does include a specific number of chapters. NPC, for example, states that a national organization must have at least 13 chapters. The last chapter established cannot be less then two years old. I am not sure about NIC though. You may also want to check out the Professional Fraternity Association. www.profraternity.org/index.html

Incorporated – This is really related to the business aspect of the organization. All of the NPC, NIC and NPHC organizations are incorporated as well as many other GLOs. A group doesn’t have to be incorporated to exist but it saves A LOT of hassles if you are. However, the use of the term “incorporated” is a preference particular to each one. AOII is incorporated but it is our policy to use the term only when legally required. There have been numerous discussions on GC about this topic.

Good luck.
Old 04-30-2003, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck with your fraternity. Online bonds can be tight. I am a member of an online chapter of my sorority, and I feel so close to my online sisters. Members of land chapters come and go, but the sisters that belong to online chapters are not pulled apart by moving across city, state, or ocean. We have one member from England, and it is wonderful to share the Beta Sigma Phi sisterhood around the globe.

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 09-13-2003, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

To be considered an incorporated sorority or fraternity means that the organization officially registered itself in a particular state. When they do this, they are legally documenting the objectives of the organization, the name of the organization, the trustees, etc. It also means that no other organization may use your organization's name. Members of the organization must sign articles of incorporation, and it is filed in a governmental office of that particular state. So the term "incorporated" should be viewed only as an official, legal governmental term. Not something that sounds cute after a sorority or fraternity name, knowwhaddImean?