GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,662
Threads: 115,520
Welcome to our newest member, Matthew1
» Online Users: 1,676
3 members and 1,673 guests
ComradesTrue, g41965

Old 01-21-2003, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Formal Ideas in Midwest

The $500 foreign formal isn't happening so we need to determine what we're going to do. Chicago, St. Louis, and Indianapolis are all very close. Any ideas?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-21-2003, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
Thumbs up

I know I'm biased because I'm from there, but Chicago is the most exciting of those cities. Unfortunately, it is probably also the most expensive.

Maybe you could book one of the boats that go out on the lake. We always did that for Post Prom and it was a blast!

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 01-22-2003, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Why not do it in a neighboring town/city so that people don't have to fork out major cash to go? It seems silly(to me) to spend upwards of 150-200 per couple to go do something you could probably do in a nearby town that would be just as good. This way you could all save a little cash. Last time that I checked, college students were always up to save a little bit of money, with it costing less the chances of more people going increases, thus the possibility of a bang up night with the whole house instead of a just the select few who are able to afford the travel and having to take the time off of work to go.

Just MHO.

Old 01-22-2003, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AOII_LB93
Why not do it in a neighboring town/city so that people don't have to fork out major cash to go? It seems silly(to me) to spend upwards of 150-200 per couple to go do something you could probably do in a nearby town that would be just as good. This way you could all save a little cash. Last time that I checked, college students were always up to save a little bit of money, with it costing less the chances of more people going increases, thus the possibility of a bang up night with the whole house instead of a just the select few who are able to afford the travel and having to take the time off of work to go.

Just MHO.

I definitely agree. Formal is not a vacation, it's one night out with your sisters... and it can be special no matter where you are. You still haven't said if you're national or local... because I assume that most every national org. has rules about how far you can travel for insurance purposes. If any of those cities are within an hour, they might be good. But I know it takes a LOT longer than that to drive from Indianapolis to Chicago, so... hrm.

All you really need is a nice banquet hall SOMEWHERE close.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

We're a well known national
Old 01-22-2003, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Formal ideas

A couple of the best formals I ever went to took place at museums. You can rent out the whole museum, or just an exhibit/wing if you have a smaller group. They set up tables, a dance floor, etc. just like in a hotel ballroom, only you have all the wonderful things in the museum to look at. Art museums are very elegant, but science museums or aquariums are the most fun. Chicago has terrific museums, and I think Indianapolis has a couple of good ones too.

My senior year, I went to a formal in a giant downtown F.A.O. Schwartz toy store. That was a total blast! We went nuts playing with the toys when we weren't dancing. Probably the best party location I've come across.

Ivy
Old 01-22-2003, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

chicago- navy pier, they do these kind of things.

Just a thought though. I know one of our frats that goes to chicago every year and does a lake boat has to make the reservations very far in advance. Think of all the high school proms, all the fraternities and sororities in the area. Add in the factor of business groups/meetings, charity events, etc and you have lots of people all looking at the same places. You'd better get a move on if you want a 'prime' location...
Old 01-22-2003, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

There are tons of places in St. Louis and Chicago. Economy-wise I think St. Louis is cheaper compared to costs for taxi's, bars and hotels. But there is 10x more to do in Chicago

Here's just a few ideas ...

St. Louis-wise there are tons of hotels downtown that host formal events and Laclede's Landing - an area of bars and restaurants by the river and Arch is nearby. There's is also Union Station - that has an awesome hotel and is also near the Landing and my fave bar of all time, Have a Nice Day Cafe (or as we call it Happy Day Cafe - its a chain bar and can get old but its where my friends and I used to always go since we were 18.) Or there is also Westport Plaza - another area of bars and hotels.

Chicago is filled with hotels and bars. There are boats and venues off Navy Pier. The W Hotel Lakeshore is a blast if you can book something there - but I am sure they are packed. Cheaper options may be something by O'Hare but then you are limited as far as getting to bars afterward.

If you are willing to go a little more rural, there is Lake Geneva in Wisconsin and Starved Rock State Park south of Chicago or Rend Lake in Southern Illinois - using a state park lodge facility for formal and staying in furnished cabins afterward or a Ski formal, formal dinner and dance and then skiing the next day or the day of is another idea. There are a few ski resorts in Illinois(northern) and Hidden Valley outside St. Louis. Hidden valley is fun if you are new at skiing but its not a Vail or Aspen resort.

Hope this helps a little ... Where are you exactly at?
Old 01-23-2003, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I think that you can have your formal at a local banquet hall or hotel so you won't have to worry about traveling too far.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I went to a formal in Lake Geneva last year - it was SO MUCH FUN

and it was the off-season (March) so it wasnt as expensive
Old 01-23-2003, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kevlar281
Ok go to St. Louis. It a brewery town and I know many breweries will rent you out banquet space inside their brewery. Not only that but they will also allow anyone of age to drink all they want. Maybe it doesn’t sound like the most elegant thing but from a guys perspective this would be the best formal ever.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:21 AM
Ginger

Quote:
Originally posted by alphachiohmy
If you are willing to go a little more rural, there is Lake Geneva in
I don't have much to add, but I couldn't help but remark how funny that statement is to someone from Wisconsin... to most Wisconsinites Lake Geneva is anything but rural

Anyhow, yes it is a very nice area (my family is from there) and if you go during the off-season (anytime between October and April) it can be relatively inexpensive.

There are also some very nice places in Milwaukee... the Domes (a few bio-sphere like domes where they have different climates and a fancy-shmancy hall), several of the hotels, etc. And, as Kevlar mentioned, many breweries

Last edited by Ginger; 01-23-2003 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevlar281
Ok go to St. Louis. It a brewery town and I know many breweries will rent you out banquet space inside their brewery. Not only that but they will also allow anyone of age to drink all they want. Maybe it doesn’t sound like the most elegant thing but from a guys perspective this would be the best formal ever.
Kev, can you give me some names?
Old 01-23-2003, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by est
Kev, can you give me some names?
Here's the link. I’m surprised to see their charging for beer but I guess the event I went to they had worked something out since it was in the brewery. Anyways that link has everything you need; reservations, menus, maps, pictures, etc.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh also if you make the reservation inquiry could you please list me as your referral. Just put my email Kevlar281@hotmail.com. Thanks