GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,673
Threads: 115,521
Welcome to our newest member, zajmestexaxd198
» Online Users: 872
0 members and 872 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Tau Delta motto and letters?

So I've been doing some research lately into Delt, in hopes of doing a better job at Pledge Ed (of which I'm in charge), and so far, I haven't found a single solid answer. Please help me out if you know anything.

I've been real interested recently exactly WHY DTD has the letters that we do. For whatever reason, our motto ("Labor for the Beautiful and the Good") is listed only 2 places: on our wikipedia article (lol) and tucked away in a dusty corner at the bottom of a scholarship subpage on our national website. By no means am I a classical language scholar (4 semesters of Latin got old REAL fast), so of course I can't translate the motto into Greek. Any help on that front? Our mission statement ("Committed to Lives of Excellence") is much more widely used than the actual motto, and so many people, including active brothers, don't know the difference between the two, most having never heard the real motto.

However, even if our letters do not represent our motto or mission statement, what else COULD they mean? So, that prompts me to ask if any of you happen to know any possible definitions to the individual letters? Anything anybody could give me would be great; there seems to be nothing available anywhere online. It's rather bizarre...

Much appreciated
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-05-2009, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, paleeeeze! Not even a good try.

Last edited by Leslie Anne; 11-05-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

What?
Old 11-05-2009, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlftheDelt View Post
So I've been doing some research lately into Delt, in hopes of doing a better job at Pledge Ed (of which I'm in charge), and so far, I haven't found a single solid answer. Please help me out if you know anything.

I've been real interested recently exactly WHY DTD has the letters that we do. For whatever reason, our motto ("Labor for the Beautiful and the Good") is listed only 2 places: on our wikipedia article (lol) and tucked away in a dusty corner at the bottom of a scholarship subpage on our national website. By no means am I a classical language scholar (4 semesters of Latin got old REAL fast), so of course I can't translate the motto into Greek. Any help on that front? Our mission statement ("Committed to Lives of Excellence") is much more widely used than the actual motto, and so many people, including active brothers, don't know the difference between the two, most having never heard the real motto.

However, even if our letters do not represent our motto or mission statement, what else COULD they mean? So, that prompts me to ask if any of you happen to know any possible definitions to the individual letters? Anything anybody could give me would be great; there seems to be nothing available anywhere online. It's rather bizarre...

Much appreciated
QFP, because the OP is an idiot.

If you truly are a Delt, you should have other sources to get information. You're not, though, so your weak attempt to get over on folks is obvious.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Much appreciated
Here's an idea - why not ask someone in your organization? Oh wait, you aren't a member.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

lmao @ the OP thinking that someone here would actually answer his question.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

The letters mean "Don't Tell D'at guy."

Duh.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow. Just wow.

Someone's a sack of crap.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Much appreciated
Your entire post, most especially the bolded portions, speaks directly to content that is obviously a part of DTD ritual and is therefore private and proprietary. Any Delt who has been initiated according to that ritual would know this information. There is really no way any Delt (or for that matter any member of any other GLO with the exception of DU being a non-secret organization) would reveal this information here or to someone whose membership in DTD is questionable. Furthermore, threads requesting the content of any given ritual is not permitted.

Thread closed.

Last edited by SAEalumnus; 11-05-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Closed Thread