GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,577
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, annagoolet2907
» Online Users: 1,882
1 members and 1,881 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 01-27-2009, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
I remember liking most houses when I went through rush too. We had to cut one after our first day and there was really only one that definitely came to mind. After philanthropy day we could only go back to 4 houses (out of 7 remaining) and that was a tough decision.

Updates please!!!
Old 01-27-2009, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

For round 2 we could attend up to 5 parties for skits. I was really nervous but I felt pretty confident about getting most of my top choices. However, when my Pi Chi called my name to give me my schedule, my plastered on smile disappeared.

1. Break
2. Demeter
3. Athena
4. Aphrodite
5.Hestia

Um, excuse me? This has to be wrong. Alright, Pandora I can understand. I could even see why Hera cut me, but Artemis? I loved them so much! What was wrong with me?? I told my Pi Chi’s this, but they assured me that the chapters I had left were great and I should give them a chance. Of course, dropping out was never an option, but to lose 3 of my top 5 favorites after round 1? I was disappointed. I sulked for a few minutes, but then plastered the smile back on and went with a few other girls to the designated “break” area.

I took some time to think and was immediately grateful that I got Demeter back. I had regretted cutting them the night before because I really like them. I only cut because I was sure they wouldn’t take me back. I did really love Hestia, and Aphrodite surprised the heck out of me. I figured I could give Athena a second chance too. So going to my first party I was feeling better, but any time someone said they were on their way to Artemis, I felt a pang of sadness. Oh well, everything happens for a reason, right?

First party was once again Demeter. The chanting has begun. I thought it was way cool. I was less nervous this time because at least I knew they wanted me. I talked to a new girl and we got along well. I liked her, definitely. One of the girls from the night before came over and gave me a hug. I was so happy to be back here! I ended up talking about fashion with another girl, and by the time their skit started I was already feeling good about them. The skit itself was absolutely adorable! I could see myself with these girls without question. The fact that they’re so new, which had initially deterred me, was starting to become more and more attractive.

Second party was Athena. Another chant, also cute. The conversations were lackluster. I was talking to one girl for awhile and there were quite a few uncomfortable pauses. I found myself hoping the skit would start soon so the awkwardness would end. The skit on the other hand was HILARIOUS. At the end of the party, I just didn’t feel the connection.

Third was Aphrodite. No chanting here, but that’s alright. I got paired up with a girl who I had met the night before. Part of the reason I liked them so much was this girl, who I had an odd childhood connection with. We got along really well, and I could actually see myself being her sister. The skit was cute, but not fabulous. It didn’t matter because the girls I talked to more than made up for it. I’m starting to wonder (as are a lot of my friends) why these girls have such a negative rep. They’re really cool, real girls. I liked that.

Last, but certainly not least, was Hestia. Cute cheer at the beginning. I liked them a lot already, but after tonight, I felt like I was meant to be there. They are a larger group on campus, so they’re pretty diverse. Not one girl was like another. I was paired with a girl from the night before who I had hit it off with. We’ll call her Ashley. We had a lot in common and hit it off instantly last night, and were paired up tonight. So Emily, Ashley and I talked for a few minutes before the skit started. AWESOME. They danced and sang. It was really cute and funny. Afterwards, Ashley and Emily took me around to meet more people so that we weren’t the only people talking. I ended up being surrounded by 5 girls at one point, and I loved every single one of them. I felt such a strong connection, and at the end of the night Emily told me that everyone really liked me. I had been burnt by a “see you tomorrow” at Pandora, but this felt more likely to be true. There was never an awkward pause or a dull moment.

Ranking at the end of the night was easy. I had to keep three and cut one. Without a moment’s hesitation I ranked like so (again, top 3 in alphabetical order because they’re not technically ranked):

1. Aphrodite
1. Demeter
1. Hestia

2. Athena

By the end of the night, I didn’t even care that my former favorites had cut me. I felt like they were just being fake, and who wants that?
Old 01-27-2009, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I really like that you're ignoring the rumors & hearsay regarding some of the chapters. It really is best to form your own decision. I'm rooting for you to find the place where you belong best. Keep up the updates!
Old 01-27-2009, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydoll2012 View Post
By the end of the night, I didn’t even care that my former favorites had cut me. I felt like they were just being fake, and who wants that?
The members in chapters that cut you may have genuinely liked you. However, it's not up to one person to decide who gets invited back. You might find when you're on the other side of recruitment that your chapter will cut PNMs that you like.

But anyway, I'm glad that you were able to move on after the initial disappointment.

Waiting for another update.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
The members in chapters that cut you may have genuinely liked you. However, it's not up to one person to decide who gets invited back. You might find when you're on the other side of recruitment that your chapter will cut PNMs that you like.

But anyway, I'm glad that you were able to move on after the initial disappointment.

Waiting for another update.

True. Decisions such as this are not made by one or 2 girls. Once you're an initiated member of your sorority, you'll find that alot goes into it, and it's not necessarily true that the women in the chapters were being "fake." It's just that inviting you back was not their decision alone to make.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Day three, Philanthropy night! I was running late so my Pi Chi Annie called me over as soon as I walked in to give me my schedule. EEP! It looked like this:

1. Hestia
2. Athena
3. Aphrodite

No Demeter. After a moment of disappointment I was immediately excited. Girls in my Pi Chi were starting to drop like flies. It was getting intense.

I started the night at Hestia. I was picked up by a girl I hadn’t met yet, and we hit it off pretty quickly. We did a craft, but I barely had time to finish because we were talking the whole time. Emily came around after a few minutes and we took a few pictures together. I felt like I was already one of these girls. The slideshow was adorable. They all seemed to have so much fun together! I could feel the love.

Next was Athena. I was picked up by the same girl that got me on the first day. She was absolutely adorable, but again, conversation was generic. The craft was cute, and their slideshow was AWESOME, but I still just didn’t feel the connection.

Last was Aphrodite. These girls just kept on surprising me. Cute craft, nice slide show, lots of fun conversation. One of the girls I knew from class last semester came over and we chatted for awhile. I ended up giving everyone hugs when I left. I really like them.

Ranking kept getting easier and easier. We only cut one this round. Again, top 2 in alphabetical order:

1. Aphrodite
1. Hestia

2. Athena
Old 01-28-2009, 08:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I like that you are so open to the choices that you have! I'm sure you will be happy in one of these orgs.

Elizabeth Barrett Browning , A Flower in a Letter
<>
Old 01-28-2009, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I really love this story.. I want more!
Old 01-28-2009, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

haha, alright I'm just going to post the rest. almost done!

Last day. Pref in the morning, bid night later. Longest day of my life. I walked in just barely on time and got my schedule. I was feeling pretty good about who I’d gotten back, so despite running on only about 3 hours of sleep, I had a big smile on my face. Annie handed me my schedule and smiled back:

1. Hestia
2. Aphrodite

Yes! Finally a round went my way. I was sleep deprived, extremely hungry (NO ONE had time to eat this weekend because sleeping and getting ready for parties kind of consumed everyone’s time), and rather nervous. I lined up for Hestia and looked at the girls around me. These were my potential sisters! When the sisters came out to get us, I was excited to see that Emily was paired with me!! Their ceremony was very touching. I don’t cry easily, but I teared up quite a bit. You know how they say you just know? I knew.

Aphroditewas next. I went in, thinking that it would take a lot to make me change my mind. They brought it though. The ceremony was gorgeous, the songs were amazing, and all of the sisters were sobbing. A lot of the PNMs were too. I didn’t. I really liked these girls, but at the end of the day, I just wasn’t one of them.

This took me awhile to decide for sure. What if I was wrong? What if Hestia was actually all wrong for me? What if I was meant to be an Aphrodite? I mean, I really liked their ceremony and they were consistently one of my favorites throughout the week. A lot of my really good friends were set on them. But then, as I was walking down the stairs by myself to go to the gathering room, I saw a display with all of the chapters’ letters. I went straight to Hestia. It just felt right. Ranking was tough, but I knew I was making the right choice.

1. Hestia
2.Aphrodite

A lot of my friends suicided for the one they wanted. I could be happy either place, so I didn’t. I went back to my room for some much needed sleep before bid night.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Bid night came at last. It seemed to take forever, but I was FINALLY going to find my home. I got all dolled up, threw a coat on, and ran out the door with the other girls on my floor. It took FOREVER for the Pi Chi’s to give us our bid cards. They called us over in random order. Every girl before me got the group she wanted. Finally, Annie called my name and handed me the envelope. I’m surprised I didn’t rip the card in my frenzy to get the envelope open. I let out a high pitched (but tastefully quiet) squeal. I’m now, officially a Hestia!!! Which is…………

GAMMA PHI BETA!!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations! I loved your story and am so happy you found your home.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations!!!! Thank you so much for sharing your story! You kept a positive outlook throughout recruitment and it paid off with your #1 choice!
Old 01-28-2009, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Many congratulations. Thank you for your honesty in this process.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

CONGRATULATIONS AND WELCOME! Pink carnations to you and your sisters - may your new member period be the start of a lifetime of love in Gamma Phi!
Old 01-28-2009, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations on your bid to Gamma Phi Beta!