GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,666
Threads: 115,521
Welcome to our newest member, banessjnry522
» Online Users: 839
0 members and 839 guests
No Members online

Old 02-06-2001, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Studying!!

Okay, well this past semester I had a class that really screwed things up for me! Anyway, besides that- i dont really have good study habits. I never want to study and then when i start reading i get sleepy! Does this happen to anyone else? Actually the one class that doesnt make me sleepy is my intro. MIS class. Well i take that back- the class is really boring, but i enjoy reading the book. I guess this is all very normal, but what are everyone elses' study habits. Like for example, do you study every night, and if so- how many hours. What time of day do you study? I CANNOT do all-nighters. I never could, and i really dont think those are helpful in any way. There comes a certain point in the day (usually late at night) when your brain almost shuts down so studying would be worthless for some people. I mean, come 4am- there is no way i could be studying for an exam and actually absorbing information- but thats just me i guess.

What i am getting at is that I really want to get a high GPA this semester- its not really for rush, but its really more for myself. Any study tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

------------------
"He is not perfect, you are not perfect. The question is whether or not you are perfect for each other"
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-07-2001, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Gizmo
Well, I understand how you feel about not being able to pull all-nighters. I have on occassion (only three in my entire college career as of today) but they are not as effective as doing the work at other times. I know that when I am tired, I work only about half (if that much) as efficiently at absorbing information or even answering problems. So, the most important thing for me to do is to get a consistent amount of rest each night. So that is step one for me. (Worked great for the first four years of my engineering degree.) Most of my friends consider this one odd but I do require 8 or 9 hours of sleep each and every night. So scheduling that in first is a necessity that my engineering friends never can comprehend. But I have succeeded in making a 4.0 more than half of my semesters in college and that as a chemical engineering major!

Second, I try to study consistently during specific parts of each day. I work best in the mornings, so this semester I am waking up at 5 AM so I can have 2-2.5 hours to myself to get up, eat, answer email, do the dishes, and other things just for me. Then I start to work around 8 AM (except when I am checking Greekchat ) and I am in a good mood when I start. I then try to work until about 5 or 6 PM. This ending time will depend on how well you are working and exactly how much you have done for the rest of the day. I find that if I have been well motivated for the rest of the day, that is about the time I start to drag. On the other hand, if I have not been productive or I took a longer break during the day, then I find I can still go for another couple of hours.

The third tip I have is to do your reading when you are most alert. I am a morning person, so mornings or early afternoon are the time I read and absorb that information best. I generally can do problems at any time, even when I am tired, so I save them for last. The only times I can't follow this is when all my classes are in the morning or my groups only want to meet in the afternoons. Sometimes you just have to deal with the complexities of group work. But it sure can be a pain.

Another good tip is to make sure that you stop for meals, preferably with friends because that will help you relax between bouts of work. But don't talk about your classwork except to complain about the shear magnitude of the work. No details. Also, once you have hit your ending point for the day, do something relaxing before going to bed. Talk to a friend, have dinner or at least a snack if you worked through dinner, listen to some music, do your dishes, draw, whatever you do to relax that takes however much time you have left before going to bed. You will sleep better without equations and information cycling through your head.

The one thing that will make you most motivated is to make sure that you take the time that you really need for yourself. For me this semester, I have to do work everyday of the week. (Engineering capstone courses are so unrealistic! *groan*) But in my earlier years, I always reserved the weekends for my sisters and my family and me. If you enjoyed your relaxing time, then you will be more motivated to make sure work doesn't overflow into that time.

I hope these ideas help. Of course, the one thing underlying all of these ideas is time management, but I figured that had to be taken for granted! *grin* Also, I bet you already have that to some extent if you know you can't pull all nighters.

Good luck!
OUgizmoASK
Old 02-07-2001, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

It is a fact that the brain is more open to suggestion in the morning. You've just waken up, and you haven't got a lot on your mind. Also, certain stages of sleep resemble hypnosis. So, I study in the morning. I retain things better. All the weeks before a test I will study consistently, and then the morning before I will get up very very early, and read all the chapters and notes over again. That way everything is fresh on my mind. Sometimes I re-copy or type out my notes.

If you are having trouble in a class, make sure that you talk to the professor. If s/he knows that you care, that could definately affect borderline grades. And you may get some extra credit.

One of the biggest things I've notice in my lengthy college career (all of one semester ) is that it is really important to go to class. Most of the grades that I made had nothing to do with work, but with attendance. I made one 'B' last semester and that was in Sociology. I hated that class and NEVER went. Everything else was made easy because I went to class. ALL of the people that I know have failing grades skip their classes.

Get a planner. Schedule your time well and you can get tons of studying in. If you are giving a presentation or speech, try to go first because the teacher (usually) is more lenient in grading because you didn't have as much time to prepare. And you will feel better because you have gotten it over with. And most important - Don't procrastinate!!!

Hope all this helps! Good luck!

Allie
Old 02-10-2001, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HeidiHo
I think peppermints, or something along the minty line ups alertness. I figure you can't hurt things by sucking on an altoid during a test...
By now, I assume you know what you need to do to learn something, it's motivation that might be the problem. It wouldn't matter if I read my text 60 times, I wouldn't remember. I have to write it out...a few times. TAs can be the biggest help. Going to class helps a ton (trust me, I know) Against most advice I've ever gotten, I usually only study the day/evening before a test. That only works, for me, if I've gone to class & taken good notes in class. Just get motivated. Think of how nice it would be to have that goal GPA...
Heidi
Old 02-10-2001, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone for your great advice. This week coming up I have two exams and then a third one the following monday. I have been reading/studying mainly everyday so thats always a good thing- unlike cramming the day before. I dont do well when i do that- ive tried! Anyway, i have taken one exam already and I made a B+. I was a little dissapointed because I really wanted an A, better luck next time i guess!! Oh- and i totally agree about how going to class is very important- unless im really sick or something- i always go

All the study tips given are very helpful!! Thanks again!

------------------
"He is not perfect, you are not perfect. The question is whether or not you are perfect for each other"