GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,665
Threads: 115,520
Welcome to our newest member, aanneaeswifta59
» Online Users: 1,764
0 members and 1,764 guests
No Members online

Old 01-19-2011, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
To sum it all up (LOL) I thought the same thing that AOIIAngel did - that QAs are based on PNM preference and that it benefits the PNMs first, chapter second. If you really could QA dump people into the smallest chapter, there wouldn't be a smallest chapter.
Just because a small chapter makes quota and gets a lot of QAs one year doesn't mean that all of them show up to bid day. It doesn't mean all of them complete the NM period and initiate. It doesn't mean that all of them stay in the chapter until graduation. In order to be a QA, a PNM has to rank said smaller chapter, though it happens frequently that they rank because they feel forced to, so it is more likely that these PNMs turned NMs aren't going to be members for the rest of their time at college, as compared to PNMs who are ranking said smaller chapter because they want it.

Last edited by violetpretty; 01-19-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-19-2011, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2013 View Post
Forgive me for holding off on the last post for so long, it's just I know this would be my longest post...and I have a Chapter meeting at 10
Did I miss something?
Old 01-19-2011, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I think QAs tend to benefit the middle chapters the most, using both smaller-chapter and PNM-preference systems. The chapters with the best return rates don't get to bring many PNMs to pref and the smallest chapters don't get many actual NMs or initiated members out of QAs. Meanwhile, the middle chapters generally have more PNMs at pref night and are more likely to get PNMs to try out and stick with their "second choice" chapters. I am fine with that, because it stops the most "selective" chapters from really pulling away from the pack.

That's how I've seen it play out, anyway.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Did I miss something?
She joined a professional, co-ed fraternity.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedg View Post
I think QAs tend to benefit the middle chapters the most, using both smaller-chapter and PNM-preference systems. The chapters with the best return rates don't get to bring many PNMs to pref and the smallest chapters don't get many actual NMs or initiated members out of QAs. Meanwhile, the middle chapters generally have more PNMs at pref night and are more likely to get PNMs to try out and stick with their "second choice" chapters. I am fine with that, because it stops the most "selective" chapters from really pulling away from the pack.

That's how I've seen it play out, anyway.
I agree. At some schools were tiers aren't so heavily ingrained, the smallest chapters can make headway, but it may not be as rapid as a single recruitment cycle.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 01-20-2011, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
No no no no no. That's not how it works.

You did not get "shoved out" of Joan because there were girls who didn't get Rachel or Trudy or whoever. I think the way your Rho Chi told you was a little misleading. She should have said: if you are INVITED BACK by only one house, you are assured of a bid to that house. The way you put it makes it sound like she was saying "well if you would have blown off going to Peggy, Joan would have offered you a bid." That's not how it works. That would have gotten you kicked out of rush with no chance of any bid to anything.

Also, you were not high up enough on Joan's bid list to be a QA, which as vp said you would have been eligible for ONLY by putting down both groups. Basically you put down Peggy not because you could ever see yourself there, but because you thought it would help you get Joan.

I definitely think you made the correct choice in declining your bid.
Yes, I wrote my post a little hastily and didn't word it properly, but I definitely knew that we were guaranteed bids if we went to Pref, but we were guaranteed A bid, not our #1 choice or anything. Only IF you are invited back to a single house for Pref, then since you're guaranteed a bid if you go to Pref then naturally you are guaranteed a bid to that one house you were invited to. It doesn't mean "well I got two houses, I guess I'll just show up to one and I'll be set!" or anything, and Panhel was clear to state that which is great.

And I know a girl who blew off a House Tour and got kicked out of rush last year, and this year Panhellenic girls were also very sure to emphasize that you must go back to all parties you are invited to (unless you received a bid from them last year, in which case you are not obligated to go back if you're re-rushing unless you want to).
Old 01-20-2011, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

What gets you in the door (but only that far)

-Letters of rec/resume: one that gives good insight to your interests and personality (not "She was in the National Honor Society. She is smart. She is pretty. She...") will make it way easier for each sorority to set you up with a girl that you'll get along with. The letter itself puts you on their radar just slightly (compared to most girls out of 1000s that don't get letters), and you're more likely to like their house based on talking to a girl you get along with. More importantly, the girl rushing you will probably be more likely to think you're a good fit for the house, and hopefully prevent you from being cut after the first round at the very least.

-Legacy status: while some houses value this more than others, if you don't get along with the girls, or they don't want you back, why would you want to be in this house? Your mom's/sister's/great-aunt's chapter is probably completely different anyways. Even if she graduated from the same chapter, years later it's probably going to be different. (I guess if your sister is a current active at your current chapter, that's a different story.)

-Appearance: Yes, it's fun to go rush shopping. Yes, it's fun to get ready with your girlfriends. Yes, it makes a great first impression and shows you care about your recruitment. But that's it. Seriously. And that's a good thing! Who wants to be in a house where they're ALWAYS dressed up to the 9s and you can't ever walk around the sorority house without makeup? Nobody...which is why no houses are like this. Show your individuality (unless you're in the South, I guess ), wear something comfortable (nothing's worse than being distracted by your clothes while trying to have a conversation, especially a rush conversation), and then forget about the whole clothes thing after you head out the door. Focus on connections, not consumerism.

Basically, all the superficial qualities about you (looks, high school achievements, who you're related to) are great starters to pique a sorority's interest in you. But the things that REALLY matter, the je ne sais quoi of how you'll know the sorority's right for you, and how they'll know you'll be a great sister, can only be figured out by the recruitment process, by conversations and questions, by hashing out how well you like them in comparison to others, and them with you.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
-Letters of rec/resume: one that gives good insight to your interests and personality (not "She was in the National Honor Society. She is smart. She is pretty. She...") will make it way easier for each sorority to set you up with a girl that you'll get along with. The letter itself puts you on their radar just slightly (compared to most girls out of 1000s that don't get letters), and you're more likely to like their house based on talking to a girl you get along with. More importantly, the girl rushing you will probably be more likely to think you're a good fit for the house, and hopefully prevent you from being cut after the first round at the very least.

-Legacy status: while some houses value this more than others, if you don't get along with the girls, or they don't want you back, why would you want to be in this house? Your mom's/sister's/great-aunt's chapter is probably completely different anyways. Even if she graduated from the same chapter, years later it's probably going to be different. (I guess if your sister is a current active at your current chapter, that's a different story.)

-Appearance: Yes, it's fun to go rush shopping. Yes, it's fun to get ready with your girlfriends. Yes, it makes a great first impression and shows you care about your recruitment. But that's it. Seriously. And that's a good thing! Who wants to be in a house where they're ALWAYS dressed up to the 9s and you can't ever walk around the sorority house without makeup? Nobody...which is why no houses are like this. Show your individuality (unless you're in the South, I guess ), wear something comfortable (nothing's worse than being distracted by your clothes while trying to have a conversation, especially a rush conversation), and then forget about the whole clothes thing after you head out the door. Focus on connections, not consumerism.

Basically, all the superficial qualities about you (looks, high school achievements, who you're related to) are great starters to pique a sorority's interest in you. But the things that REALLY matter, the je ne sais quoi of how you'll know the sorority's right for you, and how they'll know you'll be a great sister, can only be figured out by the recruitment process, by conversations and questions, by hashing out how well you like them in comparison to others, and them with you.

eloquently and succinctly stated!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I am printing this off for my daughter when it is her turn to go through recruitment! Very well stated!
Old 01-21-2011, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

You are correct.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think this was ever updated (seeing as the last post is from January 2011), but SC2013 is now one of my best friends and a member of my chapter! We all adore her to pieces
Old 07-11-2012, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Which chapter? Joan????
Old 07-11-2012, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holiday View Post
Which chapter? Joan????
No, not Joan. I will let the ladies from that chapter claim her. One chapter did informal recruitment.

Congratulations!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope I'm not stepping on her territory by revealing this, but she told me she hasn't been on here in ages, so I think it's fine. MelindaWarren and I are proud to call her a sister of Sigma Delta Tau!
Old 07-16-2012, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaeb View Post
I hope I'm not stepping on her territory by revealing this, but she told me she hasn't been on here in ages, so I think it's fine. MelindaWarren and I are proud to call her a sister of Sigma Delta Tau!
Now that I have read the entire thread I've just got to know which character SDT is!!!