GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,666
Threads: 115,521
Welcome to our newest member, banessjnry522
» Online Users: 858
1 members and 857 guests
Goldenpansy

Old 09-23-2004, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Newer Orgs Expanding

I am very interested in the growth of newer organizations, namely those who were founded less than 20 years ago. I have noticed several that have a few chapters, while there are a select few that have expanded at a rapid rate, sometimes doubling even tripling in a 5 year period.

I am curious to know how a fairly new organization’s infrastructure accommodates to such growth. It seems as though most (inter)national boards/headquarters are made up of a small number of officers. Do the more established chapters have to take care of themselves while the national organization seeks out new chapters? What happens when a chapter is struggling due to neglect by the national organization?

What is the true intent for an organization's expansion? Are some organizations simply looking to expand rapidly for namesake? Does rapid expansion a successful organization make?

Thank you for your feedback.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-23-2004, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Different for Everyon

I think the answer to your question would be different for every organization, depending on their goals. With many organizations, expansion occurs not because that organization seeks out new schools to expand at, but rather because students at a particular school seek out that organization.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Re: Newer Orgs Expanding

Quote:
Originally posted by GinaD79
I am very interested in the growth of newer organizations, namely those who were founded less than 20 years ago. I have noticed several that have a few chapters, while there are a select few that have expanded at a rapid rate, sometimes doubling even tripling in a 5 year period.
In my limited experience, I've found that some organizations are more cautious and interested in fortifying before expanding while others are comfortable in the process of fortification even while they are expanding. The latter is the case for Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority, Inc.

Quote:
I am curious to know how a fairly new organization’s infrastructure accommodates to such growth. It seems as though most (inter)national boards/headquarters are made up of a small number of officers. Do the more established chapters have to take care of themselves while the national organization seeks out new chapters? What happens when a chapter is struggling due to neglect by the national organization?

The organizations that survive are the one's that are set up like a business. I know that Theta Nu Xi has quite a few entrepreneurs and experienced businesswomen who have contributed to the success of our organization. In addition, we have many dedicated and patient individuals who have worked tirelessly to see us thrive. For us, as mentioned by LatinaAlumna, we do not seek out aspirants. They pursue us. And, with the structure of our National Board, chapters are not neglected regardless of growth.

Quote:
What is the true intent for an organization's expansion? Are some organizations simply looking to expand rapidly for namesake? Does rapid expansion a successful organization make?

Theta Nu Xi was founded on principles that live on today. Women are initiated only after they have demonstrated a sincere dedication to our mission statement and five tenets. In addition, we are concerned with quality over quantity. Our message is spread through current members as well as expansion which is why both are vitally important to our Sisterhood. Last, we do not measure the success of our organization by the number of chapters and members we have. The measure of success lies in gauging the level of leadership, multiculturalism, self-improvement, academic excellence, involvement in/service to the campus/community and bonds of Sisterhood our members have achieved.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to marali
Talking new to the forum

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to comment on this topic. I've been around GC for a few months and I finally decided to register. I'm currently in a local sorority and my sisters and I are trying to decide whether or not to take things to the regional level. Oh btw, we have been a local for 2 & 1/2 years and currently we have 10 active sisters and 25 alums. So we are quite small.

Anyway, I saw this topic and wanted to respond. For those of you who are in orgs that are expanding at a good pace (however you want to define that), what are your strategies to really get girls interested? I guess more specifically, I was intrigued by preciousjeni's response in that Theta Nu Xi does not go out to recruit, but rather girls come to them.

Preciousjeni, can you maybe share some insight about Theta? What do you think makes girls flock to your organization the way they do? I mean, I truly think that's great that you are able to get interests that way. I know from friends of mine in other orgs, they have made vast efforts in expansion in terms of going out to schools and pretty much campaigning to get girls to start chapters. I know that they have also had girls come to them, but not in the way they would like. So I'm interested in knowing what is it that you think makes girls come out for your org?

Anyone else who has had this type of experience, please feel free to comment!! I'm curious to hear from fraternities too!

Thank you!
~Marali
Old 09-24-2004, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I couldn't really tell you why aspirants seek Theta Nu Xi, only why I sought Theta Nu Xi. I saw a professional, strong and meaningful organization and was well impressed. On the other side, I see what it takes to present the qualities I mentioned.

Theta Women are always out in the community helping others and meeting people. We have a high standard for appropriate womanly behavior (though we're all human and make some mistakes.) But, especially when representing our organization, we maintain our professionalism. I can't stress that enough - be a professional. As I've said before, the most successful organizations are well-run businesses at the executive level. The rest of us benefit from the hard work of our inter/national boards.

Theta Woman are also taught to be discreet (again, we're human and slip up occasionally). We do not go around airing out our business between Sorors nor do we get huffy and trash-talk our organization. We are also HUGE proponents of Greek unity. We believe that each person can find her own home even if it's not Theta Nu Xi and we appreciate her for that. I'll say right now that I encourage any of you GCers who have not met the Theta Women on your campus - if we have arrived on your campus! - to get to know them and work with them on events and such.

I think one of the key elements to Theta Nu Xi's expansion is our great love for our organization. I believe women see how deeply we care about each other and how loyal we are to our Sisterhood. People want to be part of a supportive group anyway - that's kinda how we are psychologically.

When you DON'T go out searching and, instead, allow your actions and words to reflect the genuineness of your Sorority, people will take notice and become interested.

Last edited by preciousjeni; 09-24-2004 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to marali
Thumbs up Wow!

Thanks preciousjeni! What a great response! I really appreciate your insights. I definitely agree w/ being professional. I think that is so true and it does make one's org stand out from the crowd.

I hope others respond to this, I'd really like to hear other comments about this as well.

Thanks again preciousjeni for your response! It was very helpful

~Marali
Old 09-25-2004, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess I have always wondered if expanding fast can sometimes be too fast. I have heard of newer organizations that concentrate on expansion so much that they have neglected their established chapters. It caused a lot of people to even disaffiliate from that organization because of the lack of support.

By human nature I can see how a person can look at a well designed website and conclude that it must be a good organization, but how do people decide on an organization by not personally knowing a member or see first hand how the organization works? Take for instance multicultural organizations; the purpose of so many organizations are so much the same how do you know if the organization is right for you from the internet? I know so many people that picked an organization because the colors were cute and I am looking for something more than that. There are so many choices.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

brownsugar952,
I too am wondering the same things about organizations that expand very quickly. I am not personally aware of anyone who has disaffiliated due to the national overseers neglect, however I could see this happening if an organization is growing at a speedy rate and does not have the staff to help newer and older chapters.

"but how do people decide on an organization by not personally knowing a member or see first hand how the organization works?"

In the case of establishing a chapter far away from already existing chapters, how can a woman really even see how the organization works? preciousjeni, I took a look at your organization after you posted, and it looks as though you ladies have branched out to several different locations, often times where a nearby chapter does not already exist. I imagine this is quite a challenge for the organization as well as the interested ladies. How does Theta Nu Xi deal with this challenge?

"I know so many people that picked an organization because the colors were cute . . . "

I have brought up the question about colors and website on GC before in regards to interest. How do others on GC feel about this issue? Is it more impressive to an interest to have fabulous colors? What are interests really looking for?
Old 09-27-2004, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
"but how do people decide on an organization by not personally knowing a member or see first hand how the organization works?"

In the case of establishing a chapter far away from already existing chapters, how can a woman really even see how the organization works? preciousjeni, I took a look at your organization after you posted, and it looks as though you ladies have branched out to several different locations, often times where a nearby chapter does not already exist. I imagine this is quite a challenge for the organization as well as the interested ladies. How does Theta Nu Xi deal with this challenge?

In many cases, the aspirants do have a chance to meet Theta Women before they make any decisions. Often, however, the women simply do internet research and find out about Theta Nu Xi.

However, and I can only speak for my organization, the process for setting up a colony is intense, difficult and requires the dedication of a few good women. I don't see ANY way that you could make a mistake as to whether or not you truly want to be a Theta Nu after you've begun the colonization process. The interaction between the Sorors and the aspirants is constant and it is made very clear that the aspiring women are under no obligation to complete any process set forth. It is also a policy that we treat women who have discontinued the process with the utmost respect as they have made the mature decision to step back from Theta Nu Xi until a time when they are more able to fulfill our expectations.

Don't be fooled by our youth. We have our stuff together and if you approach us, you better have your own stuff together. We are NOT the org to join if you want to be a letter-wearer.

Quote:
"I know so many people that picked an organization because the colors were cute . . . "

I have brought up the question about colors and website on GC before in regards to interest. How do others on GC feel about this issue? Is it more impressive to an interest to have fabulous colors? What are interests really looking for?
LOL! I've heard the color comments before too. One thing I really appreciated about Theta Nu Xi in the beginning was that only select information is put on the website. You won't find our symbol, mascot, colors, flower, etc. explicity laid out for all to see. These things are special to the Sorors and hold no value for anyone else. What IS on the site is information about how to find Theta Women in your area as well as a great deal of explanation about the mission of our Sorority.

Old 09-27-2004, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I see what you saying about your sorority's interest seeing a lot of you all before they make a decision but do they also try to meet other sororities to see if they fit with others better? How does an interest know that your sorority is more "professional" if they don't get a chance to meet others the same way? Or do you find that most of your interest equally try to get to know other sororities?
Old 09-27-2004, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhirlwindTNX
I'd just like to say how honored I am that Preciousjeni is my soror. You are explaining things perfectly!

THETA NU!!!!
Old 09-27-2004, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

ONE LOVE, Soror, One Love!!

To answer brownsugar's question,

Quote:
I see what you saying about your sorority's interest seeing a lot of you all before they make a decision but do they also try to meet other sororities to see if they fit with others better? How does an interest know that your sorority is more "professional" if they don't get a chance to meet others the same way? Or do you find that most of your interest equally try to get to know other sororities?

I didn't actually say that Theta Nu Xi is "more professional" than other orgs. I said that we heavily stress professionalism. Personally, I have found that - for the most part - Theta Nu Xi interests (who are not already in contact with/friends of Theta Nu Xi Sorors) are well educated about multicultural sororities and have done their research. Those who do not come prepared quickly find that Theta Nu Xi is not the place for them. It is very serious. There are other multicultural sororities out there that present themselves as professionals just as Theta Nu Xi does. When the interests find all of these sororities in their research, it is up to the interests themselves to make their own determination as to which organization is most in line with their own needs and drives.

It is not the responsibility of Theta Nu Xi to see to it that aspirants have made the right decision after extensive research. We expect women to approach us after that part of their work is complete.

Our National Board is also easy to contact with any questions or concerns. There are many ways to find out about Theta Nu Xi without necessarily knowing a Theta Woman personally. Aside from contacting National Board members, interests can find numerous articles about individual chapters as well as looking at the individual chapter sites for information on what's happening. As multicultural sororities grow, there will come a time when it is no longer necessary to make that leap of faith when approaching an organization. There is really nothing to be done about it at this point except to encourage interests to research, research, research.

Old 09-29-2004, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

preciousjeni,

In response to

"I have found that - for the most part - Theta Nu Xi interests (who are not already in contact with/friends of Theta Nu Xi Sorors"

I just thought of something. Are there chapters of your organization that are started by friends of sisters? I wasn't sure because previously you stated:

"we do not seek out aspirants. They pursue us . . ."

So I made the conclusion that many of your aspirants find the organization online, as you mentioned in your last post. Or is there a mix of word of mouth/friends and online aspirants?

Also, are there ever times when the organization doesn't want to expand to a college, even if there are dedicated ladies willing to put in the time and effort at that particular institution?
Old 09-29-2004, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
brownsugar952,
I too am wondering the same things about organizations that expand very quickly. I am not personally aware of anyone who has disaffiliated due to the national overseers neglect, however I could see this happening if an organization is growing at a speedy rate and does not have the staff to help newer and older chapters.
I've actually seen this happen with several sororities and fraternities. I've even seen an entire new chapter fold within the first three weeks because they didn't receive any type of assistance from their national, and the new members even told me about it because they didn't know what they should do. It's sad.

I'd really like to give props to Theta Nu Xi Sorority, Inc. for being so professional and for taking a stand against letter-wearers!! You have really distinguished yourselves in the greek world thus far, and especially among the MCGLOs!! All the best to you, and I hope to see some chapters in CA soon!

Old 09-29-2004, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I just thought of something. Are there chapters of your organization that are started by friends of sisters? I wasn't sure because previously you stated:

"we do not seek out aspirants. They pursue us . . ."

So I made the conclusion that many of your aspirants find the organization online, as you mentioned in your last post. Or is there a mix of word of mouth/friends and online aspirants?
I was responding to your question about chapters being founded in locations that seem far from another chapter. However, certainly women who are familiar with the organization and who wish to found a chapter may have that opportunity. BUT, Theta Nu Xi does not go to these women and ask them to start the process. The women have to approach us first.

Quote:
Also, are there ever times when the organization doesn't want to expand to a college, even if there are dedicated ladies willing to put in the time and effort at that particular institution?
As with all organizations, this is inevitable.