GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,563
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, VickiWhita
» Online Users: 1,479
1 members and 1,478 guests
shadokat

Old 11-02-2001, 06:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Help! Sig Ep Lavaliere!!!!

Hi there All!
My boyfriend is a Sig Ep Alum, but I'm still in school. We've been contemplating the whole lavaliere idea, but he's been out of school and where he went, they really didn't hold much importance to lavaliering your girl friend. On my campus, it's a very special thing for every sorority girl.

Our question, does Sig Ep do anything special when a lavaliere is given? Ceremony? Song? Poem?

Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-02-2001, 06:52 AM
GreekChat Member

If you are asking about what HIS chapter would do, I would say it would depend on the chapter.
Old 11-02-2001, 12:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sue_XO Send a message via Yahoo to Sue_XO
I don't know about Sig Ep but I assume all groups do something special for their brothers. My bf was an ATO alum and he lavaliered me. It meant a lot to me - candlelights are always special! But ATO did not do anything because he was an alum. So I hope your bf takes the next step!!
Old 11-02-2001, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Check your PM.
Old 11-04-2001, 09:52 PM

There are two things involved here ~ what your boyfriend's fraternity does, and what your sorority does.

I don't know what Sig Ep does ~ as I've never dated a Sig Ep ~ nor have I ever been lavaliered by an active member of any fraternity. What the local Sig Ep chapter does (if applicable) is really up to them. Your boyfriend should inquire with the local collegiate chapter, or if none, with the local alum chapter. If they don't want to do anything, I would suggest your bf just buy the lavalier and present it to you.

As for your sorority ~ I can only share my story. My husband is an independent. He learned about the lavaliering ritual, but since he is not a member of a fraternity, he couldn't "lavalier" me in the traditional sense. Instead, he chose a pendant, a little gold heart, and gave that to me as a "lavalier". My sorority then held a formal candle-lighting ceremony for me, just as if I had been lavaliered by a fraternity member. (BTW, I was my chapter's ritualist at the time ~ so saying "guess what, we're lavaliering someone tonight" held a lot of weight )
Old 11-06-2001, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!! My mother has my father's Sig Ep pin (probably a big "no no"). Let us know what happens!
Old 05-01-2006, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

In my chapter, Alaska Alpha, we don't do lavaliering. If the couple is really serious we do pinning. We have a public ritual in the ritual book for it and your boyfriend presents you with his badge. This is taken very seriously. I am actually pinning my girlfriend next week and am really excited about it....
Old 05-01-2006, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Quote:
Originally posted by Alaska_SigEp
I am actually pinning my girlfriend next week and am really excited about it....
AWW!
Old 05-02-2006, 04:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Alaska_SigEp
In my chapter, Alaska Alpha, we don't do lavaliering. If the couple is really serious we do pinning. We have a public ritual in the ritual book for it and your boyfriend presents you with his badge. This is taken very seriously. I am actually pinning my girlfriend next week and am really excited about it....
From this post, it sounds as if lavaliering and pinning are two separate things. I'm assuming lavaliering involves lavaliers and pinning involves the pin allowed for sweethearts, etc? Is there any other significant difference between the two?
Old 05-02-2006, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

in my day, lavaliering was akin to "going steady", pinning was pre-engagement, and of course, an engagement ring meant a trip up the aisle.

in our candlelight circle, once around was for lavaliering, twice around was for pinning and if we made it to three times around, it was really exciting!!
Old 05-02-2006, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jestor
From this post, it sounds as if lavaliering and pinning are two separate things. I'm assuming lavaliering involves lavaliers and pinning involves the pin allowed for sweethearts, etc? Is there any other significant difference between the two?

Lavaliering comes before pinning. Pinning is where you give the girl your actual fraternity pin, not a sweetheart pin (whatever that is).

Pinning is way more hardcore than lavaliering.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl

Lavaliering comes before pinning. Pinning is where you give the girl your actual fraternity pin, not a sweetheart pin (whatever that is).

Pinning is way more hardcore than lavaliering.
That depends on if the chapter even does pinning; mine did not (as most of the chapter didn't even own a badge). For us, lavaliering = pinning = pre-engagement.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

lavalier was all we had....if I had lavaliered a girl, and wanted to take to the next "level" I would have given her my pledge button (what we call pin)
Old 05-02-2006, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by FSUZeta
in my day, lavaliering was akin to "going steady", pinning was pre-engagement, and of course, an engagement ring meant a trip up the aisle.
I think that's the "traditional" way it works(ed) -- at least back when I was in school.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FSUZeta

in our candlelight circle, once around was for lavaliering, twice around was for pinning and if we made it to three times around, it was really exciting!!
This is how we did it in my day too! A box of candy, a note and a candle were anonymously delivered to the house - -usually to the chapter president or the house mother. After dinner, there was a joint meeting with the pledges and collegiates (yes we were still pledges in those days). At some point in time, the President was given the note, candle and candy by the housemother if she did not get it herself. We would make a huge circle, the note would be read, the candle would go around and then would be blown out at some point depending on whether it was a laveliering, pining or engagement.

At one of our formal dances there was the candy, candle and note so we did the circle at that time. Our dates were part of the circle. When it went around the 3rd time, one girl's bf blew out the candle and proposed right there! Was really romantic and thankfully for him, she did say yes.

DaffyKD