GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,665
Threads: 115,520
Welcome to our newest member, aanneaeswifta59
» Online Users: 1,569
2 members and 1,567 guests
naraht, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 08-12-2000, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting. I think this forum might just be for me, according to your description. According to the description hung on the door (i.e. the link to this one) it's not. The organization I am trying to affiliate with is already an established National, albeit a new one. However, we are working to bring a chapter to our school.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-12-2000, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Asia,
I'm not sure what you mean but this whole forum is for organizations that are national (not just located in one state) but aren't as big as other well established national orgs (like in the NPC, IFC, NPHC, etc). For instance, my org has 5 chapters (in different states) and 3 colonies. We're trying to establish ourselves like other sororities in the NPC are. So, this particular thread goes along w/ that. Since our orgs are young, we tend to deal w/ starting chapters, colonies, interests more often than those orgs that have been around longer. Not that they don't do this or anything. It's just as a newer org, we are in the practice of this more. Does the title of the forum make more sense now?

[This message has been edited by ZChi4Life (edited August 12, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by ZChi4Life (edited August 13, 2000).]
Old 08-13-2000, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Interest Groups/Colonies/Chapters

Beginning a new org on campus of a national org can be fun, exciting, and a lot of hard work! During this time, a group usually has to go through a lot of phases in order to achieve the ultimate goal of chapter status.

If you're trying to get a new org started, but don't know about all the steps, this thread is for you to post your questions and concerns. It is also for those who are involved in the process who may have questions, comments, and/or complaints about the stages they are in.

------------------
A Radiant Lady of
Zeta Sigma Chi Multicultural Sorority, Inc.
http://www.umich.edu/~zchi
Old 08-13-2000, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, then, I guess I'll just put my feet up and consider myself home!!

Thanks for starting this forum!! Let's hope we can generate some good discussion here!
Old 08-13-2000, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Great! Welcome home Hey Asia, what stage are you in as far as your process of getting a chapter? IG or Colony? It's interesting cuz in my research of new sororities, there are some orgs that have a stage known as "associate chapter". It's kinda like a step above the colony stage. It's really interesting how some orgs operate.
Old 08-14-2000, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Yay! I'm happy to see this new forum! Although I haven't begun yet, I'm hoping to join a group of girls interested in chartering a new chapter of a Panhellenic sorority. Looks like I'm home, too!
Old 08-16-2000, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

we are lowly IGs. Then there is a colony stage, then associate chapter, then full fledged chapter
Old 08-16-2000, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
I'm so glad to see everyone here! Asia, I'm curious about the IG-Colony-Associate-Chapter-Chapter progression...how are the requirements for Associate Chapterhood different from being a Colony, or from being a full Chapter?

Here's what I know about the differing levels of a new group's membership:

Interest Group: a small group of people express formal interest in beginning a Chapter. They achieve a set of goals associated with establishing a new organization on campus, as well as learning about and publicizing the new organization, and growing in size.

Colony: a larger group, working specifically toward the goals of operating as a full Chapter. Major projects such as rush, philanthropy, publicity campaigns, and new member education are set up, as are basic business procedures for the newly formed group. The group continues to learn about the goals and ideals of the organization, and begin to bond.

Chapter: the group has satisfied the National Organization that they have the ability prosper as a Chapter, both at the business and sisterly/brotherly level. The group (and the individual members) have full rights of membership.

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Old 08-16-2000, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

This is interesting!

For our sorority, the stages are what equeen outlines, except we don't use the term "colony." Our term for that stage is Sorority-in-Development (SID Chapter for short).

We also have a one-year status (begins when a chapter is chartered and becomes an Active Chapter). Chapters in this status have all the rights of older chapters, but a few additional requirements are outlined for them.

------------------
FultonB117@aol.com
Old 08-16-2000, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

BFulton,
That's cool to call them SID. I like that cuz that's exactly what is going on. Sweet. I learned something new
EQ, that's how my org does things too. We have to be an IG for a certain period of time before coming a colony. We apply for colony status (pray we make it!) then move on to becoming a chapter. During colony, we pretty much function like a chapter, except we don't do Rush. We again work, work, work and after we've achieved our goals, we apply to become a Chapter (pray) and then hopefully we can move on to becoming a full fledged chapter. At this status we have all the rights and privileges as the other members. There is like 1 or 2 things we can't do until after a certain period of time, but other than that, we are legit in the eyes of Nationals.
Old 08-16-2000, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Hey I have a question.

At the colony or SID status, are you guys allowed to wear letters yet? I know some orgs who function this way. I was just wondering who did this. My org does not. We can't do that until we become a chapter.

If you are not allowed to wear letters, can you wear the letters written out? Can you use them (greek letters or written out) to promote the colony?
For us, we had to say "Associate Members of Zeta Sigma Chi"--written out. We couldn't wear the letters written out either.

[This message has been edited by ZChi4Life (edited August 16, 2000).]
Old 08-16-2000, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

In my sorority, the process is an Interest group, a Colony, and then a Chapter. Once a Chapter, you have all the rights and priveledges of every other chapter/member. The Colonies have to get there name out on campus so they can use the sorority letters as long as it also says Colony.
Old 08-17-2000, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Wink

Just wanted to get my wet feet. My organization don't call our colonies colonies. We called them Sigma Epsilon Chapter or SEC. Since every SEC must be a Balanced Man, they are considered members but not brothers until they have gone through the Epsilon rite of passage. Have never experienced an SEC chapter. My chapter been around for over 20 yrs.

I do know that the requirement are very stringent. Our HQ (that is what they like to be called, not national) is very picky in determining SECs. Last time I check there are about 15 SECs out there, and this year, 6 of them receive their charter.

Jus like to say that I wish you all good luck. My organization probably faced the same challenges you all did. It got big through the dedication of alumni. That is what you need, dedicated alumni to push forward your organization.

------------------
I have sold my soul to the evil corporate world. I'm quite happy about it.
-Anynomous
Old 08-18-2000, 12:25 AM
Artimis

Quote:
Originally posted by ZChi4Life:
Hey I have a question.

At the colony or SID status, are you guys allowed to wear letters yet? I know some orgs who function this way. I was just wondering who did this. My org does not. We can't do that until we become a chapter.
(edited August 16, 2000).]
Our colony memebers are treated as Candidates. Since our candidates can wear lettered shirts with either just greek letters "ASK" or the letters spelt out, colony memebers can do the same.

IG's are required to use "An Interest Group of Alpha Sigma Kappa" and a Colony has to specify they are such.

------------------

Beta Chapter Alumna and Founder

Sisters by nature; Friends by Choice
Old 08-18-2000, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Clothing with our letters may be worn by candidates and initiates, colony and chapter members. However, member pins and lavaliers may only be worn by initiates. Also, our crest may only be displayed by initiates.

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--