GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,574
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, ajacksonjunioro
» Online Users: 1,590
3 members and 1,587 guests
Mooch279, PGD-GRAD

Old 08-12-2004, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani

ETA: where did I belittle anyone's advice? I said that much of the advice is good.
That wasn't aimed at you in particular. I'm switching between typing a report at work and typing on GC, so I may not make a lot of sense.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-12-2004, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

We have a stickied thread remininding PNMs to talk to their universities to get the specifics on their recuitment, too.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
Spin it into something positive. Find a way to work those things in a couple of times in the same conversation so it sticks in your recruiter's head. When you leave the house and someone asks about Randi Rushee, the recruiter will say, "Oh she's a senior credits-wise, but she just transferred and will be here three more years!"
This just reminded me of a story from my rush. I heard from a friend that I was actually cut from her sorority because one of the sisters I talked with thought I was bragging about how smart I was. I said I was a sophomore credit-wise because of AP credits, but it was only my first year and I was still going to be there for four years because of my program.

It goes to show you - rush really varies campus by campus and chapter by chapter.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: People who rush over and over and over again--don't they eventually get the hint?
Old 08-12-2004, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I know someone who went through formal rush twice and informal once or twice. (I forget.) She eventually got a bid in the fall of her junior year through informal. She became a good sister.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Munchkin03
Re: People who rush over and over and over again--don't they eventually get the hint?
Good question. I think it depends on the person and the campus. I believe, personally, if it were me, I would have rushed once and that would be the end of it. But maybe then trying informal?

Example: My friend tried to become a founding sister of XYZ when they colonized at my school. She was not invited. Ironically, she rushed the following fall and got a bid from them, becoming a member of their first pledge class!

And for seraphimsprite, I think you could have said that very same thing to someone else and they wouldn't have taken it as bragging. It just goes to show how people "hear" things.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to DZTUBAGIRL Send a message via AIM to DZTUBAGIRL Send a message via Yahoo to DZTUBAGIRL
Quote:
I think unfortunately some don't. There is a girl at my school that has been through formal recruitment I think 2 times. She also goes to most of the informal parties for most of the sororities. She has not gotten a bid so far. She is a nice girl but very strange. She is a very outgoing person but she doesn't know what not to say. She talks to a stranger like she would talk to her best friend, ie. too much information. It was really sad last formal recruitment because we have a "rush the hill" where all the sororities gather at one dorm and the new members run to meet us. Well she was on one of the floors crying. I felt so bad for her but she just keeps puting her self through it. Maybe by some grace of god she will find a home but I just don't know if it will happen after all this time.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

It's so awkward because obviously no one is going to TELL the person that they should stop rushing...and i think it varies, because i know girls who went through recruitment, didn't get a bid and then tried again and went where they wanted because they had experience and knew how to play the game better (game = conversation, making friends in each house, etc.).

i don't know if i could ever be like "Uhhhh, you probably don't want to rush again..."
Old 08-13-2004, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I hate to hear statements like this because I know a wonderful girl who rushed formally three times, COB'd at two houses and interviewed for a new colony before finding her home.

Freshman year she really didn't know much about rush. (This was pre-Internet people!) She didn't have anyone write recs for her. Her brother's girlfriend told her that she was perfect and wouldn't have to worry one bit about getting her choice of houses. She was also told that as an ABC legacy, she would definitely be at the top of their list. Didn't happen. She did well with most of her top choices until being cut from all but one before pref - the one house where she just did not feel comfortable.

Later that fall, she interviewed for a new colony but was not invited even to their pref party. That spring she was asked to COB with two sororities - again no invites to pref.

Sophomore year she rushed again thinking she would have a better chance now that she had friends in some of the sororities. Unfortunately, although she was at the top of her class in high school, her freshman year grades hurt her going through rush again. This year she was cut from ALL houses right before pref.

In the middle of that year she ended up transferring to another school because her first school did not have the program she wanted and she wanted to closer to home as well. That's when I first met her and thought she was great. I was astounded that she was not already in a sorority because I thought she was definitely Greek material. She fit right in with my close group of friends which included girls from the top houses on campus.

I brought it up with her to see if she was going to rush in the fall and that's when she told me all of her crazy history with rush. Against much protest I convinced her to go through again. This time she had her grades up and had secured multiple recs for almost all houses. Although she didn't get her top choices - groups that take almost exclusively freshman - she did end up in a group that she fell in love with on the very first round of parties.

She was a huge asset to her sorority and they even begged her to stay longer and delay graduation so that she could hold office. I think it is a tragedy that she would have been deprived of this experience and that the girls in that chapter would not have been able to know her if she had just "got the hint."
Old 08-13-2004, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: The girl who gave to much info: It's unfortunate, but some people are like that, especially if they're nervous and worried that there's nothing to talk about. I sometimes have the habit of doing that!!!
Old 08-13-2004, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to DZTUBAGIRL Send a message via AIM to DZTUBAGIRL Send a message via Yahoo to DZTUBAGIRL
Quote:
Originally posted by Taualumna
Re: The girl who gave to much info: It's unfortunate, but some people are like that, especially if they're nervous and worried that there's nothing to talk about. I sometimes have the habit of doing that!!!
I'm not saying that is the reason why she can't get a bid. I am just saying that no one is going to give a bid to someone that talks about having gas and stuff like that. I can understand someone being outgoing but that is just rediculous. Sorry if this sounds mean but that's the way I feel.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

You'd be suprised at what people will say...especially drunk. A local at my school has flat out told women that they'll never get a bid and not to bother aymore. It creates some ackwardness...but they do it. Some women get the hint, some still don't. I also think it is pretty presumptive to tell someone that they'll NEVER get a bid. mixes change, and especially in small chapters, it can be the difference...
Old 08-13-2004, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Agree: Not being remembered is probably the #1 reason, followed by a conflict with a current sister. We also worried that shy girls would not enjoy our tendency to be chatty and boisterous.

I was heavily cut, but it was my own fault. I rushed as a sophomore (the norm) and had made the mistake of running around with one of the wildest boys on campus freshman year. I wasn't wild, but was cut by the sororities of all the girls he had dated and by those who found his behavior horrifying. Still painful, even though I knew why I had been cut.

(Two years later I made the mistake of hooking up with him one more time. We left the club separately, and thought no one noticed. Next morning my best girlfriend called & yelled at me because she had heard about it in the ChiO bathroom. Called another friend, who chewed me out because she had heard about it in the TriDelt bathroom. Forget the ASAs - they just gave me that "what a disappointment" head shake at lunch. Thought I'd be safe at dinner with the studious, non-clubbing KKGs, and one asked if that wasn't Mr. Player I had been dancing with last night. That's when I realized that at 35,000+ students, Penn State was way too small a school.)
Old 08-13-2004, 01:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Smile

Sometimes, perserverance is the key:

Fall seven times, stand up eight. ~Japanese Proverb

Quote:
Old 08-13-2004, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LionTamer
(Two years later I made the mistake of hooking up with him one more time. We left the club separately, and thought no one noticed. Next morning my best girlfriend called & yelled at me because she had heard about it in the ChiO bathroom. Called another friend, who chewed me out because she had heard about it in the TriDelt bathroom. Forget the ASAs - they just gave me that "what a disappointment" head shake at lunch. Thought I'd be safe at dinner with the studious, non-clubbing KKGs, and one asked if that wasn't Mr. Player I had been dancing with last night. That's when I realized that at 35,000+ students, Penn State was way too small a school.)
That's kind of sad that these people had nothing better to talk about than your business.