GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,667
Threads: 115,521
Welcome to our newest member, Dysonqhl
» Online Users: 1,090
0 members and 1,090 guests
No Members online

Old 07-10-2008, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Paying for Grad School

I'm going to be a junior this fall and I've started to think about grad school. I have a general idea of what I want to study (journalism or education) and a few ideas about where (probably in-state at Kansas/KState or perhaps somewhere in Texas).

I test well. My grades are fine but not spectacular, though I've been improving significantly.

But here's the thing. I'm taking on quite a bit of debt just to finish my bachelor's, and I've promised myself I won't take on more to get my master's.

I know none of you can predict my future, but here's my question: Is it possible to pay for a master's degree without taking out loans (and without help from your parents)?

Anyone making it work with scholarships/GTA positions/something?

Btw, my mom is disabled so I qualify for the maximum aid available. I just don't know what's available.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-10-2008, 02:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I would definitely look into the aid you mentioned. I'm paying for school out of pocket, but my it's technically my parents money (my fund they started when I was born--we used loans for my undergrad, so it was all still available), so I don't really fit the criteria you specified. I know one guy who's paying for it out of pocket, but he works like crazy to save up for the upcoming semester before it arrives. His wife just had a baby and I think she works to put money toward it, too, and they are just barely making it with him going part time. What kind of job do you have or are willing to get? You have two years to start saving so that will give you a headstart.

I have a scholarship, but it doesn't even pay for one class a year--it covers like books and half my fees and that's all. There are some on-campus jobs in the university writing center, offices, etc. that you could probably apply for and, depending on your area of study, you may be able to get a GA gig, but it depends. In my studies (counseling) only doctoral students are allowed to have those--MA students don't qualify. Check with the school you're thinking about going to to find that out.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 07-10-2008, 06:09 AM
GreekChat Member

There are a lot of jobs that offer tuition reimbursement if you are advancing in your field. I didn't pay a dime of my own money for my grad school credits because of this. It may mean working full time and going to grad school part time though.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Definitely look into a TA position. I financed almost all my grad education that way and you may find, as I did, that actually you like the teaching aspect of your field better than the research and become a professor.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

being a GA i got tutition, healthcare, and a small stipend. i was able to get by without taking loans, but i did live with my parents. the stipend would not have been enough to pay rent, even with roommates in the DC area.

however, if you go the GA / TA route, AND obtain outside scholarships or other awards, you can make it work. good luck!
Old 07-10-2008, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know about the journalism programs you're looking at, but when I was undergrad I knew a lot of grad journalism students who were working full-time while taking classes. A good number had employers (newspapers, radio/TV outlets, PR firms, etc.) who were picking up at least part of the tab. You may want to explore that option.

Also, you may want to check out the websites for Quill and Scroll and the SPJ to see about graduate scholarships.

Right now I'm working full-time and doing law school during the evenings, so I feel you on paying for school with a minimum of loans. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

I received a graduate assistantship, and I shouldn't have a problem making it work without loans. My assistantship is covering my (out of state!) tuition, and I'm receiving a stipend of $12,500 to live off of. Depending on where you live, that can go far.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Not only are there TA-ships, if you have any experience in Residential Life or Greek Affairs, some large schools offer assistantships that provide housing AND a stipend in exchange for working 10-15 hours a week with RAs or Greek Affairs. A one-bedroom apartment in a location near campus that I didn't have to pay for? Fantastic! I did this for my second year in graduate school, and it helped out immensely. The funny thing? Some people in my cohort laughed at me for "being an RA." I got the last laugh because those idiots have twice the loan burden that I do.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Not only are there TA-ships, if you have any experience in Residential Life or Greek Affairs, some large schools offer assistantships that provide housing AND a stipend in exchange for working 10-15 hours a week with RAs or Greek Affairs. A one-bedroom apartment in a location near campus that I didn't have to pay for? Fantastic! I did this for my second year in graduate school, and it helped out immensely. The funny thing? Some people in my cohort laughed at me for "being an RA." I got the last laugh because those idiots have twice the loan burden that I do.
And, in some cases, you get better housing than students who have to pay for it on their own. All in all, not a bad deal if your school offers it.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for your advice everyone.

I work in a department office on campus right now, and many of their GTAs are working on their master's. I'm not sure about the education and journalism, since those are both professional schools.

And I know the school I currently attend has all those cool programs with student housing, which I wouldn't mind. It's a dry campus (boo) but it's worth it to escape without more debt!
Old 07-13-2008, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsmilehawk View Post
I test well. My grades are fine but not spectacular, though I've been improving significantly.
My grades weren't the best either (3.0). It definitely helps that you are improving them and that you are involved with other things (e.g., Greek life). Don't let one lackluster part of your application prevent you from pursuing your goals.

Quote:
Is it possible to pay for a master's degree without taking out loans (and without help from your parents)?

Anyone making it work with scholarships/GTA positions/something?
Yes!

This fall I will actually be attending school out of state for free + stipend. I will be a grad student (and GTA) at West Virginia University, and I am in the Communication Theory and Research program. (You might want to check that program out, by the way. I hear that many people in the department focus on educational communication.)

I would add that your money will probably be tight, even with the stipend.

I would also advise you to start now with your research. Get informed about specific universities, and show interest. Write them exactly why you want to study at this school and who you want to research with / have as a professor. And get involved in your academic interests (say, tutoring if you want to focus on education).
Old 07-16-2008, 01:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey LightBulb, I think I will look into the program you're talking about. I actually came very close to attending West Virginia for undergrad.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Quote:
Hey LightBulb, I think I will look into the program you're talking about. I actually came very close to attending West Virginia for undergrad.
Keep me posted! WVU seems like a fun school with great spirit and morale, and the people are very nice.

First impression: I drive up to the garage to pay for parking, and another driver flags me down. Oh no, I thought. She's going to ask me for directions, and I have no idea how to help her. Well, I stopped anyway and rolled down the window. She said she was leaving the parking lot but still had 45 minutes of paid parking on her ticket, so she gave it to me. How thoughtful!

Anyhow, I can give you more pertinent firsthand information when I get there. PM me if you think of any questions.