GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,593
Threads: 115,516
Welcome to our newest member, Holographicalt
» Online Users: 2,474
0 members and 2,474 guests
No Members online

Old 04-21-2011, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Observations:

I think the majority of the NALFO groups seem to be recognizing the lack of preparation which many minorities suffer from due to crumbling urban school systems in communities where Latinos may be the majority and institutional racism in school systems where Latinos may be the minority.

ETA: This is moreso in response to point #1 -- I don't think the comparison to NIC orgs is a reasonable one because white people don't (on the whole) have the same retention issues in higher education.
Senusret I hits the nail on the head.

I would also like to add that there is a growing number of college campuses that have moved to second semester recruitment for NPC and IFC organizations. Allowing 1st year students to join GLOs in their first term just isn't a best practice in the eyes of many higher education scholars and professionals.

There are many LGLOs (or orgs that started out as LGLOs) that place a high priority on academic excellence, but I realize that not everyone shares this focus. That's fine, but I do have a serious question:

How the HELL does a person get into ANY 4-year university with a 2.35 high school GPA? Is this a regional thing(?), because in CA, a 2.35 cumulative = straight to community college (with very limited exceptions).
Old 04-21-2011, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaAlumna View Post
How the HELL does a person get into ANY 4-year university with a 2.35 high school GPA? Is this a regional thing(?), because in CA, a 2.35 cumulative = straight to community college (with very limited exceptions).
Girrrrrlllll...... you'd be surprised at the number of schools which have open enrollment, confer bachelor's degrees, and have Greek systems. (At least NPHC orgs)