GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,666
Threads: 115,521
Welcome to our newest member, banessjnry522
» Online Users: 996
1 members and 995 guests
g41965

Old 01-10-2004, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
For those of you who used to play an instrument...

Why did you quit playing?

I was just looking at old threads about people that used to play instruments,and it sparked this.

I am an Instrumental Music Education Major. I have been playing saxophone for about 13 years. I could never imagine giving it up...music gives me so much joy. I know that's corny, but music means so much to me that I personally could never imagine giving it up.

I'm not bashing anyone for no longer playing...so don't think that. I just wanted to start a discussion.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-10-2004, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I played piano from 1st grade until the time I went to college. Once I got there I did not make much time to practice - we did have a piano in our dorm basement - but people used the room to study or to have meetings, so it was rarely accessible. Once I graduated - I did not have room for my piano in an apartment, so again did not play. When I got married and got a house, I played some until my first child was born, and have rarely played since then. If they are awake, they want to come "play" too, and I can't play when they are asleep! Now my oldest is taking lessons, so the piano is used a little. Oh well - maybe once they get older I'll get back into it!
Old 01-10-2004, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I played guitar from about 4th grade until sophomore year of high school and truth be told I got sick of going to lessons and since I played three sports a year for the school I didn't have time for it.
Old 01-10-2004, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I played the piano since I was 3. I quit taking formal lessons when I got to high school and got involved in the marching band, but I'll still sit down every once in a while and knock out a tune.

I played the clarinet since 4th grade, and one of my 2 undergraduate degrees was a BA in music, so of course I played in college! I have recently had to quit playing because I have some unexplained health problems, and whenever I play, I get really dizzy and black out.

I took guitar as one of my electives for my music major and really enjoyed it. I have a guitar as well, but I never really play it. I would like to though!
Old 01-10-2004, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I never quit playing, I quit the band. I was section leader my first two years of high school, but the rule in the junior/senior band was you must be in marching band no matter what. If you were a varsity football player, you should march at halftime. If you were a cheerleader, you should march at halftime. If you were in cross-country your parents were to drive you back from your race as soon as it was over so you could march at halftime. We here at GeekyPenguin just didn't love playing the trumpet enough to be in marching band.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

When in college, I received a pretty hefty scholarship for playing violin in the school orchestra. I've also played in a jam band (played bars mostly), as well as operas, weddings, musicals... just about every venue you could think of.

I don't get to play much these days. For the moment, I'm substitute teaching. Occasionally, I'll get to sub for a middle school orchestra teacher (I'm on a lot of their lists here in town). Running the 6th graders through their practices is pretty fun.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 01-10-2004, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PandaOnProzac
I'm a proud band gReek to this day. I still play the trumpet in the pep band and wind ensemble.
Old 01-10-2004, 04:27 PM

I played the piano from age 7 until I went to college. The only reason why I stopped playing is because a piano didn't fit in my dorm room.
Old 01-10-2004, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I played the clarinet until my senior year of high school... It was cool through my freshman year, but then we got a new director who was Evil with a capital E...

I stuck it out for two years, but then I just couldn't deal anymore... The band went from about 80 to about 35 in one year...
Old 01-10-2004, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
I played clarinet in 5th and 6th grade... our junior high band and high school band was for stereotypical nerds. I'm not exaggerating. Plus I wanted to play sports instead.

KLTC
Old 01-10-2004, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I played the flute from 5th grade until I graduated high school. We had a fantastic music program in my hometown school system. I did one year of the piccolo in ISUCF"V"MB (ISU's marching band) but wanted to have my Saturdays free. I also played the piano for about 4 years but then my teacher moved away and my mom never bothered to find me another one. We just inherited the piano since my parents redid their house and didn't want it in the living room anymore and I've been saying I'm going to start playing again. I also sang all through school. I wanted to be involved with music in college, but had too many other things going on at the time. Hopefully I'll be able to be in our church choir and do some other vocal-related things in the town my husband and I live in now.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I took guitar lessons for a year or 2 when I was young, I think I started too young because I never wanted to practice... was interested in watching TV more so I quit. I'd like to start it up again though.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I started playing the violin in the 6th grade. I ended up at the Cleveland Institute of Music for college. Was burnt out quickly. I play once in a while, but not regularly.

Cleveland Institute of Music
Ranked as one of the foremost schools of music in the US, CIM's curriculum is based upon solid, traditional musical values, while incorporating liberal arts instruction and new technologies that equip students to meet the challenges of the 21st century. Graduates are routinely admitted to leading graduate schools, are winners of major competitions, and occupy important performance and teaching positions throughout the world.

Last edited by AlphaGam1019; 01-11-2004 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:14 PM
Unregistered-

I started formal piano lessons at age 4 and quit after I graduated from high school. I also played the cello from the 4th grade till my HS graduation.

I quit having formal lessons, but I still play regularly.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I quit playing the piano because of the time committment. Once I graduated from high school, got a full time job, went to school full time, joined a sorority and other activities...I just didn't have time. So I quit. I would love to pick it up again, but my mom gave my aunt our piano because SHE plays and theirs broke. We'll get the piano again someday, but my mom figured it was wasting space and my aunt would at least use it!