GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,665
Threads: 115,520
Welcome to our newest member, aanneaeswifta59
» Online Users: 1,480
0 members and 1,480 guests
No Members online

Old 10-29-2003, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Introduciing significant other to family and friends

Hey GC'ers,

Just a quick survey. How long do you wait before introducing your guy/girl to your family and friends?

My distraction and I are at a serious point of contention over this issue. I feel that it's cool to meet friends after dating a little bit. But, I just do not bring people around the fam. We have to be VERY serious (MAIN REASON: my family is crazy! i have to be sure you won't leave me after meeting them!)

Anyway, what's a reasonable amount of time: a month...3 months...longer?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-29-2003, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nikki1920 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1920
6 months..for family
Old 10-29-2003, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nikki1920
6 months..for family
I agree...I met my bf's family way too early and it seriously made me reevaluate how much I REALLY like him in order to put up with the madness.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

interesting........................

ideally i would wait at least a year. you and your 'distraction' (i like that) would be just getting over the honeymoon phase of the relationship and depending on your age will be looking at the next steps in your relationship.

this is something that shouldn't be rushed. i also feel that you will know when the time is right.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
I'd also wait 6 months or so to introduce your SO to the fam. I was going to do a sidebar about not bringing your SO's kid over to your family's home when your relationship isn't super-solid (true story with a family member of mine), but I digress.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to treblk
another part to your question too abaici is, When do YOU want to meet his Family?? that may give you an idea when to bring him around your fam.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by treblk
another part to your question too abaici is, When do YOU want to meet his Family?? that may give you an idea when to bring him around your fam.
Well...his family lives about five hours away. But, even if they lived 10 minutes away, I'm not trying to go there just yet. It's been three months, but I'm cool with the six months - year. Sounds good to me!
Old 10-30-2003, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Introduciing significant other to family and friends

Quote:
Originally posted by abaici
Hey GC'ers,

Just a quick survey. How long do you wait before introducing your guy/girl to your family and friends?

My distraction and I are at a serious point of contention over this issue. I feel that it's cool to meet friends after dating a little bit. But, I just do not bring people around the fam. We have to be VERY serious (MAIN REASON: my family is crazy! i have to be sure you won't leave me after meeting them!)

Anyway, what's a reasonable amount of time: a month...3 months...longer?
This was a BIG area of contention with me and an ex. We had only been dating for maybe a month and he was wanting to me my family. I was like "umm, no, I don't just bring any and everybody to meet my folks". Believe me it was a huge source of tension.

I eventually caved in after 3 months, but my ideal time is about 6 months to a year as well.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BirthaBlue4
Quote:
Originally posted by Eirene_DGP
I agree...I met my bf's family way too early and it seriously made me reevaluate how much I REALLY like him in order to put up with the madness.
Girl, you're a mess, but they'll be your family too!! (Did yall talk yet...)

Anyway, I NEVER intrhoduce a guy to my family until its ULTRA serious. They don't even hear a name until we're tight. Now my friends, I may mention him, I may not, but I'm at the point now where I don't mention them to friends either unless its tight, because if they f---up, you gotta explain what happened, blah blah blah, and most of the time I don't feel like it.

But, on a time scale, I can't really say, it depends on how we prhogress, anywhere from a month to three months.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:35 PM

"distraction" - I like that

I met my husband's family one month after we started dating. He'd invited them up for his graduation, and I almost fell over when he said "Hey, my parents are in town, wanna go to dinner with them?"

I must have really loved him even way back then, because I didn't run screaming after I met his folks

It wasn't long after that when I introduced him to my parents. He must have really loved me too, because he didn't run screaming either...
Old 10-30-2003, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Here in the Windy City trying to look cute with my hair blown all over my head.
Send a message via Yahoo to UpPinkies
For me, a long, long, long time. First the parental units. I'm not worried about the dad, but my mom is a retired cop and can be pretty ruthless when it comes to her BABY (yes, I'm still her baby). Then I would have to introduce him to my grandmother and aunt and they interview people like crazy. I love them to death, but have never seen two individuald who can meet a person and in 5 minutes know their whole back ground, but sometimes this comes in handy.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to evaclear04
I'm going to go with the majority here and say 6 months to a year. After 6 months most of all the mushy "I'm on my best behavior" has ended. And you are really trying to evaluate your next steps with this "distraction" (I likes!).
Plus bringing someone to meet your family is like bringing them into a more private part of your life. It should be considered a very special occassion.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Good Question

For me it will be a year or longer simply because I have a 10 year old son and I do not believe in bringing just any man around him. I have to know that we are in it for the long haul and that it's actually going somewhere. Even then, he will be introduced as "just a friend" until they can develop a positive friendship. As for the rest of the family...I can care less if they ever meet. All of them are crazy!!! LOL.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Re: Good Question

Quote:
Originally posted by SkeeWee14
For me it will be a year or longer simply because I have a 10 year old son and I do not believe in bringing just any man around him. I have to know that we are in it for the long haul and that it's actually going somewhere. Even then, he will be introduced as "just a friend" until they can develop a positive friendship. As for the rest of the family...I can care less if they ever meet. All of them are crazy!!! LOL.
^5 Soror.

I sure wish that my nephew's ex-GF had thought to do the same with her daughter...
Old 10-30-2003, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I met Dude's family after about a year, same with my immediate family.