GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,555
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, annetausasdy968
» Online Users: 2,540
4 members and 2,536 guests
g41965, Txchica, Xidelt

Old 03-24-2005, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to seheart
Personally, if orgs choose to seperate themselves into other councils and ethnic founded orgs, then they segregate themselves further. I am a member of a multiculturally founded org, but part of IFC. We ran with the big dogs and it has helped us grow and helped our publicity.

I'm not knocking smaller, ethnic orgs, but wouldn't you want to be held at the same standard as the proven and powerhouses? How can you grow and hold yourself as a professional, productive, growing and active org if you just segregate yourself to one corner?

Thoughts?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-24-2005, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

My organization is one of several (6 plus 1 associate member) organizations that make up the Multicultural Greek Council at Florida State University.

If you saw a list of all the events we have hosted on and off campus for students and the community alike, I highly doubt you could say we don't constitute a 'powerhouse.'
Old 03-24-2005, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to seheart
Thats great, however the only thing I see on my campus is party flyers and emails. Other than that, I don't hear anything from the ethnically based orgs.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

The national boards of the majority of these organizations tend to have requirements concerning a certain amount of educational events as well as hours of community service, in order to be in good standing.
There tend to be a lot of party flyers because they usually play a large part of how org.'s fundraise and are able to survive financially.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FuzzieAlum

What about groups like Theta Nu Xi? NPHC is (I believe) opposed to them being a member of local PHCs, and because of their rush structure they won't join Panhel.
I'm just curious, maybe someone can answer this for me - why would NPHC be opposed to Theta Nu Xi being a member of local PHCs? I mean, what difference would it make to them?
Old 11-14-2005, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OPhiARen3
I'm just curious, maybe someone can answer this for me - why would NPHC be opposed to Theta Nu Xi being a member of local PHCs? I mean, what difference would it make to them?
Thanks. I was wondering the same thing.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seheart

I'm not knocking smaller, ethnic orgs, but wouldn't you want to be held at the same standard as the proven and powerhouses? How can you grow and hold yourself as a professional, productive, growing and active org if you just segregate yourself to one corner?

Thoughts?
At my alma mater our Multicultural Greek Council was the largest council on campus. We had more chapters than IFC and PHC combined. Don't be quick to assume that culturally based organizations are smaller and are minor players on campuses.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Quote:
Originally posted by OPhiARen3
This is on the NPHC website:
Due to issues of liability, local organizations other than nationally affiliated organizations of NPHC, Inc. are strictly prohibited to sit on a local graduate or undergraduate council. If a council and/or college or university allows this violation that entity assume sole liability.

From the NPHC constitution:
Article IV-Membership
Section 1.
Affiliate membership in NPHC shall include Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc., Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., and other affiliate organization of the NPHC as may, from time to time, be granted membership. No other organization shall have the right to sit on, or have a voice in, a local undergraduate or alumni council of NPHC, and may not be considered for membership on the local level. Affiliate membership shall also include local undergraduate and alumni councils chartered by the NPHC.

So it looks like NPHC rules prohibit TNX from being on a local NPHC, whether those members want them or not.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally posted by jubilance1922
This is on the NPHC website:
Due to issues of liability, local organizations other than nationally affiliated organizations of NPHC, Inc. are strictly prohibited to sit on a local graduate or undergraduate council. If a council and/or college or university allows this violation that entity assume sole liability.

From the NPHC constitution:
Article IV-Membership
Section 1.
Affiliate membership in NPHC shall include Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc., Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., and other affiliate organization of the NPHC as may, from time to time, be granted membership. No other organization shall have the right to sit on, or have a voice in, a local undergraduate or alumni council of NPHC, and may not be considered for membership on the local level. Affiliate membership shall also include local undergraduate and alumni councils chartered by the NPHC.

So it looks like NPHC rules prohibit TNX from being on a local NPHC, whether those members want them or not.
This is kinda what I thought so it's nice to know it's an actual rule.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gwen1982 Send a message via Yahoo to gwen1982
Here's a thought that came about only because I'm an advisor on a campus with 16 sororities and 14 fraternities. There is one all-encompassing Greek Senate for all GLOs. There are sororities that are members of NPC, NPHC and NAFLO as well as a number of locals. There has been some discussion among the advisors of trying to organize the sororities into a group. Sororities and fraternities may have a number of the same issues, but they also have different issues.

The idea behind having the women have a council on their own is to address the different issues (such as domestic violence and sexual assault - not to say that the issues may not be of interest to the men, but they may be of more interest to the women). Having such a council is not to replace a ruling group, which would continue to be the Greek Senate. It would assist the women with such thing as avoiding scheduling conflicts during recruitment. As recruitment is fairly informal at all times on this campus because of the diverse member groups, no one wants to step on anyone else's toes. Most of the time, you find out that happens after the fact. It would also help the women bond a bit better, we think, having a general council of their own.

Again, it is not meant to be a ruling body, but a place where the sorority members can exchange ideas, network, and learn together as women.

**You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies. - Dr. Who**
Old 02-07-2006, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AGPhiBete
[/B]
Quote:
It's not fair that some Asian frat breaks one of their pledges' legs and it's fine, but if a real fraternity just makes their pledges do push ups in front of their house, they go up for expulsion.[/B]
Maybe It's just me, but I'm a little offended by the use of the terms 'REAL GLO's' and 'REAL FRATERNITY'.....our organizations are just as 'REAL' as any other GLO.... different, yes, but still REAL

Granted I'm in an entirely different situation than most ouf you (in the sense that we are a non-collegiate sorority), but that does still offend me

Last edited by AGPhiBete; 02-07-2006 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kerry4prez
what are the benefits of panehllenic?
Old 07-31-2006, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BootyKBG
wow...

It's been like 3 years since i've been on GreekChat, and I'm amazed what a debate this thread I started has provoked!
Old 07-31-2006, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Well when you hear things like "real fraternity" you have to consider where the person is coming from. I mean, an IFC fraternity at one of yall's campuses may not be a "real fraternity" in the opinion of the greek community, just as a NPHC or MC sorority may not be "real" at another campus. I think trying to get everyone on the same page is a lost cause, it is obviously going to differ at every campus.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock
Well when you hear things like "real fraternity" you have to consider where the person is coming from. I mean, an IFC fraternity at one of yall's campuses may not be a "real fraternity" in the opinion of the greek community, just as a NPHC or MC sorority may not be "real" at another campus. I think trying to get everyone on the same page is a lost cause, it is obviously going to differ at every campus.
I get what you're saying but it would be even better if we stop using terms like "real" fraternity. Hell, say social fraternity or national, or IFC or NPHC or service, whatever=fraternity or Greek Life to you, but it's kind of like saying that there are "real" people...