GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,535
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, robertoslittey8
» Online Users: 2,334
1 members and 2,333 guests
Cookiez17

Old 04-19-2011, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

If they choose to participate in formal recruitment, they must follow all recruitment rules.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-19-2011, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
I would imagine that some of the traditions (saluting, probating, neo shows, etc.) would not go over well in the NPC.
I don't know of anything in the Green Book that specifically prohibits the things you mention.

Do any of the NALFO orgs have city-wide chapters? I know that's something that would conflict with NPC. So would high school affiliates.

In general, I don't know enough about the former NALFO orgs to know if it's a good idea or not. I do know, however, that many of the NPC orgs had to make sacrifices (such as closing chapters) to gain NPC membership. So, obviously it's something for the individual organizations to decide, but I'm surprised that not even one has gone that route.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The NMGC appears to be pretty lax in terms of its definition of a multicultural Greek org. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, Gamma Eta is a member of the NMGC. Given that fact, I would imagine that SLG and SLB could gain entrance if they removed all traces of "Latina/o" from their identities.
Sorry I don't know why allowing Gamma Eta being accepted would suggest SLB and SLG would not have issues getting in?

Last edited by Monarca7; 04-19-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I don't know of anything in the Green Book that specifically prohibits the things you mention.

Do any of the NALFO orgs have city-wide chapters? I know that's something that would conflict with NPC. So would high school affiliates.

In general, I don't know enough about the former NALFO orgs to know if it's a good idea or not. I do know, however, that many of the NPC orgs had to make sacrifices (such as closing chapters) to gain NPC membership. So, obviously it's something for the individual organizations to decide, but I'm surprised that not even one has gone that route.
@ the bold - Yes, there are.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarca7 View Post
Sorry I don't know why allowing Gamma Eta would suggest SLB and SLG would not have issues getting in?
I only mean in terms of their former lives as Latino orgs. Gamma Eta was originally, "Gamma Eta Society for Hispanic Women." It was founded as a group for Latinas, but evolved into a "multicultural" sorority.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I only mean in terms of their former lives as Latino orgs. Gamma Eta was originally, "Gamma Eta Society for Hispanic Women." It was founded as a group for Latinas, but evolved into a "multicultural" sorority.
O I did not know that I read their website and didn't see anything like that...they just said it was "Gamma Eta Society" but I didn't exactly look deep. Thank for the info!
Old 04-19-2011, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
O I did not know that I read their website and didn't see anything like that...they just said it was "Gamma Eta Society" but I didn't exactly look deep. Thank for the info!
They've scrubbed their history of all references, but there are those of us who remember.

In the 2002/2003 UF yearbook, this was Gamma Eta's entry:

Quote:
In Fall of 1995 when the mother, Ilena Camilo had a vision of a unique alliance that would provide the opportunity for Hispanic women at the University of Florida to come together as one with the same ideals, interests and goals. [Emphasis mine]
Source: http://www.e-yearbook.com/yearbooks/.../Page_129.html

There were still references to their Latina roots as of 2005 when Theta Nu Xi first established a chapter on the campus. Since then, however, Gamma Eta has made an intentional effort to be known as "multicultural."

Old 04-19-2011, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I'm surprised that not even one has gone that route.
I would be surprised if any Latina sororities or "Historically Latina sororities" (still don't know what that means) ever tried to join NPC. For many, if not most members, we would have joined a NPC sorority in the first place if that is the experience we wanted. Some Latina sororities were founded specifically to offer something very, very different than traditional NPC sororities. I think within any Latina/Historically Latina sorority, it would be very challenging to gain the support needed to make such a serious move, even if the intention was to continue to support the Latina/o community as a NPC org.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Expansion

The sororities would also need to consider expansion. Here are NPC expansion rules:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTrax View Post
If your campus decides to open expansion, this is the NPC procedure to be followed:

The College Panhellenic must unanimously agree to open the campus for expansion and have the approval of University administration.

The NPC is notified by the university that the campus is considering expansion. If there is a fraternity in which the campus is most interested, their expansion notification should indicate this preference.

The NPC notifies it's members that this campus is open to expansion. The preferred group is given first option to accept or decline the opportunity to present to the campus. The other NPC members will also accept or decline the opportunity.

The university is informed as to which NPC groups wish to explore campus expansion. The College Panhellenic and university admin usually narrow this list down to 2-4 groups. These groups are invited to present themselves on campus and essentially state their case why their group would be the best one to pick.

The Panhellenic votes on one group and this group is informed of the decision. It is up to the sorority to begin recruitment and colonization activities according to the schedule outlined by the university.

Barbara
Here is the link to the thread: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...4104#post24104

Joining NPC would kill any independent expansion. Most universities have NPC councils and a NALFO sorority member of NPC would need to be invited by the university and be approved by the local NPC council, which could choose to invite another sorority instead.

* BOLD: Most NPC orgs are not sororities but women fraternities.
** Thanks for the update Knight_Shadow.

ΓΒΦ, BΓΣ, ΦKΦ, OΔK
Societies

Last edited by Little Dragon; 04-19-2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Update link.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Update to the above link: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...4104#post24104

And that's a good point (re: expansion).

Old 04-19-2011, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Back to the topic

Quote:
So we never got to the point of this thread...should an organization that no longer promotes themselves as latino or latina be allowed to stay in NALFO.

Also, what about the orgs that left? I doubt they will be allowed into NMGC so is a new council the best fit for organizations who were founded as Latino or Latina but now consider themselves multiculturals?
Just some thoughts people...

P.S. this is stupid but what would you call the council? slow work day...
Coming back to the topic at hand, I think that if the org is already a member of NALFO, unless NALFO really wants to cut down on member orgs, it should stay, if not for anything else than historical ties as NALFO is what is also in part to these orgs. The criteria of being a solely LGLO could be for new members.

As for the orgs that left, as a member of one, I doubt they'll look into NMGC. NMGC is even younger than NALFO and has many of the same issues. The orgs could find the many of the same conflicts they had in NALFO before, although NMGC does have less members, having even lost two member orgs since its founding. Also, I don't think a new council would be wise. There are too many umbrella councils already.

Finally, excluding the orgs that left NALFO up to 2006, the three fraternities that left NALFO are NIC members. SLG might have it more challenging, but it is currently stable enough to not being hurt by not being a member of a National council. Don't get me wrong, being a member of a National council is good, but is not ultimately necessary.

ΓΒΦ, BΓΣ, ΦKΦ, OΔK
Societies

Old 04-19-2011, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Dragon View Post
As for the orgs that left, as a member of one, I doubt they'll look into NMGC. NMGC is even younger than NALFO and has many of the same issues. The orgs could find the many of the same conflicts they had in NALFO before, although NMGC does have less members, having even lost two member orgs since its founding. Also, I don't think a new council would be wise. There are too many umbrella councils already.
Yep.

Pretty much all of the organizations that would "qualify" for NMGC would be significantly larger and (presumably) more established, so they'd be back in the same situation they were in with NALFO.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Dragon View Post
Don't get me wrong, being a member of a National council is good, but is not ultimately necessary.
Ehhh...yes and no. In terms of recruitment, colleges/universities are making their requirements more stringent by the year. There are many schools out there that will not allow any organization to be established that is not affiliated by a recognized council.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ehhh...yes and no. In terms of recruitment, colleges/universities are making their requirements more stringent by the year. There are many schools out there that will not allow any organization to be established that is not affiliated by a recognized council.
But who certifies the councils?
Old 04-19-2011, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
But who certifies the councils?
The schools commonly identify which councils are acceptable, but you and I have the same question.