GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,557
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, isaclittleoz273
» Online Users: 2,023
3 members and 2,020 guests
g41965, isaclittleoz273

Old 03-22-2001, 01:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Update

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you in this forum for answering so many of my questions. I'm still not sure, but I think that the naysayers in my sorority are about to win, and that we won't go national.

Anyway, I'm just very dissapointed right now, because we have a lot of interest from women at other campuses. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, and it will work out.

So I just wanted to say thanks for helping me learn all that I have. I have such a huge respect for the greek system now, and I respect what all of you in up and coming nationals have done to get your sorority to the point it's at.

So thanks!

Last edited by pbear19; 06-11-2002 at 09:54 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-22-2001, 02:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Pbear19,

I'm so sorry to hear that. What was it about going National that the naysayers didn't like? Were they just afraid/nervous about expansion or do they really just want to stay local? Did they not feel that your sorority was up to par w/ other service orgs to expand?

Well maybe if you keep working on it, maybe they'll come around. It kinda sounds like some of these people may want your org to be more social than service? I don't know if that's the case or not...just a small observation from what you said. Hmmm, I don't know. I know you really wanted to go National...you put in a lot of effort in gathering info. Just from the times you came on the board, I could tell you were really psyched about going expanding and all. Like I said, maybe you guys will get there. Maybe you all need to work out some type of compromises w/ your sisters that are really into the social aspects of the org. Perhaps you guys could do 1-2 social activities per month or something to that effect? It's kinda like what a lot of the social sororities do, except the reverse. My sorority is social, but we do community service at least once a month. So maybe you guys could do the opposite. I don't know if that would help, it's just one suggestion.

Well I wish you nothing but luck in your future endeavors! Continue to work w/ what you and your sisters have now and perhaps later down the line, you can all still expand.

Much Greek love,
ZC4L
Old 04-18-2001, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Well, I think us being national someday may still happen after all. I just wanted to give another update in case any of you are curious at all!

Hopefully we will be making some major changes to our bylaws this week and we will be trying them out next semester. All of the changes are geared towards making us more "national friendly" for the future. The sorority voted to wait at least one more semester before we decide whether we want to pursue some interest groups at other campuses. (We already have women who are friends of actives at six different campuses who are interested in starting an IG!!!)

So, it may take a while, but if it's meant to be it will be. I hope that none of the women waiting on us will lose their enthusiasm, but if they do hopefully there will be other opportunities elsewhere. We have a pretty high number of women who go to grad school, and many of them are interested in helping to start other chapters.

So, looks like we'll just wait and see. I will be the advisor to the national expansion committee next semester, since I'm staying here in town after I graduate. I'll try and keep everyone posted!!

Tee hee, and if any of you ladies in social GLOs have ever thought of starting a service org on your campus, let me know!

[This message has been edited by pbear19 (edited April 18, 2001).]
Old 04-18-2001, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Well I definelty wish u much Luck, and I do understand your quarels. I dunno if this will help any, my sorority about a yr ago, changed it's overall set up, and decided to be considered as a social and service org. Mainly, becuase we too had almost the same problem with people only wanting to do the social end of it, but by doing both, we were able to make everyone happy, (well sort of) and we made our sisterhood stronger.
Well I hope this helps, and I wish u much luck and love in the present and the future
Keep us Updated
DGPhoney~
Old 04-18-2001, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Hang in there, pbear, and good luck! Sometimes, things need some time and perspective to work out.

------------------

@-->---
Pure as Silver, and True Blue!
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies