GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,572
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, jhngooglet5007
» Online Users: 1,883
0 members and 1,883 guests
No Members online

Old 04-24-2002, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by deltajas
[B]Hey there
Jenn I hope by fun you don't mean just parties and boys.

No that is not my idea of fun, i knew that would be an issue. I know that not everything is fun but it can be more fun... I go to Hofstra...you?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-24-2002, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
Lightbulb You researched...

You had a plan. I am not against expansion. But to get really business like for a moment, most start-up businesses fail because they have no plan or an inadequate plan for growth.
The same can probably be said of sororities and fraternities.

Jenn, I wish you the absolute best in whatever your final decision may be. Just remember, starting and maintaining even a well established organization is a lot of HARD work. It will NOT always be fun.

My goal was simply to show you another side to the challenge of establishing a sorority. and pique your interest in first really researching the existing sororities. And if you were to find that none of the sororities on your campus or in your community interest you, then you would know in your heart and on paper that it really was time to start something new.

Perhaps your sorority will very simple by design. Perhaps your Sorority will only exist on your current campus forever. Perhaps your Sorority will not have a need for dues. Perhaps your Sorority will limits its membership to 10 members per year. Who knows? Its your Sorority. You can make it be whatever you want it to be...and I say that with the best intentions.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
Jenn, In your defense, and not against Finer Woman, I started my own local! I did know all of the Fraternitys on my campus and did not want to join.

Ergo I started my own and the idea was to affiliate with a Large National.

I do not think it is right for members of GC to Put Down someone who is interested in starting something new!

If that was the case, None Of Us Would be here!

We would all belong to (A) Fraternity, or (B) Soroity! Get the Picture???

Last edited by Finer Woman10-A-91; 04-24-2002 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-24-2002, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

yes i know and its not like i am going to make a sorority over night i am getting ideas and seeing if its worth it that why i am here asking questions and getting to know a lil more about sororities. Thank you very much though
Old 04-24-2002, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JennV82
what do you mean by getting together with a record keeper or orginization?
A sorority, or indeed any organization needs to have some sort of organizational structure in place. At the very least, you will need:

President
Vice President
Secretary (i.e. records what happened in the meetings)
Treasurer

Here is a local, Iota Beta Chi:
http://welcome.to/iotabetachi
and also Alpha Omega:
http://www.wlu.ca/~wwwss/greek/alphao.htm

Alpha Omega has these Executive Positions, to give you an idea of what you will need:

President
Vice-President
Rush Chair
Pledge Educator
Social Chair
Charity Coordinator
Ritual Chair
Treasurer
Secretary
Publications Chair
Old 04-24-2002, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

thank you
Old 04-25-2002, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to NoShame_Gamma
New Sorority

Hi Jen!
Just some info... I started my own sorority on campus and it was a lot of hard work and dedication. First, I looked into what I needed to do to be recognized on campus, then I started gathering interested ladies. Throughout this, I was researching organizations through the internet (I was looking at non-NPC orgs.). Based on the responses, the group decided on an organization and began working with the expansion director.
Have you looked into what it takes to start a new club/org on your campus? How does your campus feel about bringing in a new sorority? Of course there is more to it than that, but just a little info for you Hope it helps!
Old 04-25-2002, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you gamma, i have looked into it and they are very open-minded, no sorority has ever been formed in this school so they are very pleased with my idea.
Old 04-25-2002, 06:38 PM

Thumbs up

This is a good resource too...

Starting a Local
http://www.geocities.com/localsororities/start.html

http://www.geocities.com/localsororities/
Old 04-25-2002, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Question new colony

I alsoaminterested in bringing a new sorority to my school the ones we have here I have looked into and they really dont seem like the ideal plave for me and 25 of my friends, I know it will be hard work but I want to establish zta at my school I just dont understand every step I need to take in order to do so? Is it allowed to call ourselves a zta interst group or not??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-25-2002, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to NoShame_Gamma
Thumbs up

Aside from looking into what the school's requirements are, I would also contact ZTA and let them know of your interest. Only they can tell you if you can call yourself and interest group of ZTA or not. I would recommend you write to one of the ZTA's on this site for more info. I hope this helps!
Old 04-25-2002, 08:17 PM

Re: new colony

Quote:
Originally posted by wantaztacolony
I alsoaminterested in bringing a new sorority to my school the ones we have here I have looked into and they really dont seem like the ideal place for me and 25 of my friends, I know it will be hard work but I want to establish zta at my school I just dont understand every step I need to take in order to do so? Is it allowed to call ourselves a zta interst group or not??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
It might be better to call yourselves a " Sorority Interest Group"...., for the reason that Zeta may be unable to come to your campuse (not unwilling, just unable).

If you wanted to establish a ZTA colony, you still must go through the NPC (see page 1 of this thread). ZTA and indeed, any NPC org is not permitted to come to a campus unless that campus is declared open for extention. What happens, is that when you notify the NPC, each of the 26 NPC orgs are advised so that they all have an "equal chance" of deciding whether they want to come to your university or not.

I am not sure what irons that ZTA has already in the fire at this moment in time, but ZTA might be unable to participate in the extension process due to current committment to establishment of other chapters. I just wanted to let you know, so that you are not disappointed, if ZTA is not able to come do extension at your campus at this time. But, I would ask and find out for sure!
Also, alumnae support is important to a fledgling colony and I don't know how many ZTA alumnae are near you, but this would be an important factor for Zeta to consider as well....

These girls in Canada have a local and they are looking to affiliate with an NPC org...
http://www.geocities.com/sorority_un.../national.html

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 04-25-2002 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-25-2002, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

There are so many sororities out there. In all your research in starting a new sorority, you may be duplicating one. Research all the sororities you may find one that fits the real you.
Old 04-25-2002, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

wow...that is like three new sororites getting started on greek chat. Yay!!
Old 04-26-2002, 06:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey there
I go to a SUNY school
My cousin was an SDT there (at your school)
Well good luck, I just wanted to let you know what people are going to say, also your hardest competition may come from the school's Panhell if they do not feel they need a new sorority, it will be hard to convince otherwise, try not to focus on the "fun" when presenting to them, rather why your sor is needed bc the current ones do not fill the beliefs, etc for your members. Talk about the kinds of philanthropy and scholarship you want to be involved in.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
Ok, I am still stuck on this "new-age values" and whatnot.

In my organization the values and traditions that we hold above all are still very important today. They are virtues that all people should hold with very high respect and admiration. How can you come up with "new century ones" ?

Also, in all your research, you can not find out the true meaning of the sororities values, and traditions without going through ritual. Therefore, your research is not complete.