GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,572
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, jhngooglet5007
» Online Users: 2,237
1 members and 2,236 guests
Tridentia

Old 04-24-2002, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
I have been a member of my sorority for over 11 years. My suggestions were not made out of ignorance. Just as an aside, I think its awfully presumptious of you to say the sororities are dull or traditional in your parts. Especially since you are not a member of any sorority. Believe it or not, at some point your "sorority to be" will have traditions too...and the future members may think of them as ...dull and if your sorority last...the rituals and established programs will be called...TRADITIONAL.

And by the way, you can forma club that has sisterhood...it does n't necessarily have to be a sorority.

Quote:
Originally posted by JennV82
well i am not looking to form a "club" i belive that a sisterhood should be fun not like some of the sororities around here. I think its an advantage to begin anew that way new ideas will be formed instead of the dull traditional ones. but thank you for your advice i am open to anything even ignorant comments like yours.
Old 04-24-2002, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

well i know that you are trying to help but putting someone down isn't the way to help...well i have nothing against other sororties tradition but i belive that coming into a new cetury we should have a set of new values and ideas....that comment wasn't meant to be taken in a negative way.
Old 04-24-2002, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
Post its all a matter of perspective

It certainly was not my intention to put you down. Like I said in my initial post, growth is good. I just wanted you to see there are other options. My point again is: How can you be against a sorority's traditions, values or ideas if you have not researched them? And based on your few posts, I don't believe you have. The answer to a couple basic questions was handed to you by current sorority and fraternity members who did the research you really should have done.

Quote:
well i know that you are trying to help but putting someone down isn't the way to help...well i have nothing against other sororties tradition but i belive that coming into a new cetury we should have a set of new values and ideas....that comment wasn't meant to be taken in a negative way.
Old 04-24-2002, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

welll i did do the research but wasn't sure about a few things. I WILL learn the values and advatages of being in a sorority and like I said i am NOT against others traditions and values i just belive that times change so i would likw to start something more down to earth.
Old 04-24-2002, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
yes volgirl i have looked into other ones and none of them spike an interest in me.
...maybe because they would require some "warmth".

Finer Woman10-A-91 made some great comments to take into consideration when beginning a new sorority. I dont think she was making a personal attack or judging your character.

Dont feel defensive if you get advice that isnt necessarily encouraging becuase its probably realistic. You probably have NO idea of the obstacles you will encounter.

Greekchat has a lot of knowledgeable people giving you some pretty good advice. Just take the good with the bad.

XP2k
Old 04-24-2002, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I am open to all advice and i am not being defensive.
Old 04-24-2002, 10:15 PM
UMgirl

Ok, I gotta kinda disagree with the statement that if you don't know how to start a sorority, than maybe you shouldn't do it. I only disagree with this because in my opinon who really DOES know how to start one? Most of us in groups know what goes on because weve been in them for so long and others have taught us how to work in them. I don't think (and this is just my opinion) that all of our founders knew exactly what they were doing (right away at least) when they started out. I know my sorority's founders seeked help out and Im sure others did. You somehow model those sororites around you and modify it to your liking. I'm sure when ADPi started out they might have gotten their ideas from the fraternities that were around them but changed stuff to their liking.

Anywho Jenn, as far as our traditonal stuff goes, there is just some stuff that no matter how much time flys by...doesnt need to be changed (no matter how ridiculous you may think it is) because of the senitmental value you get from it. Like someone said, if and when you get yours started, who knows maybe 10 years down the line, the girls in the one you founded will think not too fondly of the rituals you cherished when you started it. As far as thinking that many sororities are too traiditon and stuck back in time, its not like we're all still wearing corsetts, wearing skirts that hit the ankle, and having tea while playing cricket (ill stop the tangent now). Over whatvere number of years an org has been around, its members adapt that orgs values and concepts to the current culture wihtout really changing the foundation of them. So we do tend to start anew with fresh ideals and concepts. Good luck with starting a new sorority. Just seek help from indiviuals who have done it and you should be fine.

BTW, where in New York are you?
Old 04-24-2002, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Jenn, In your defense, and not against finerwoman, I started my own local! I did know all of the Fraternitys on my campus and did not want to join.

Ergo I started my own and the idea was to affiliate with a Large National.

I do not think it is right for members of GC to Put Down someone who is interested in starting something new!

If that was the case, None Of Us Would be here!

We would all belong to (A) Fraternity, or (B) Soroity! Get the Picture???

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-24-2002, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Who exactly was discouraging Jenn from starting her own sorority? I simply asked her in her quest for information if she had researched the organizations that already existed (if any) on her campus. If none of them were for her, which obviously they arent - more power to her for starting her own. But to call any comments such as that an "ignorant comment" is plain rude.
Old 04-24-2002, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

ME???????????????

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-24-2002, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Post to follow up

Quote:
Originally posted by UMgirl
[B]Ok, I gotta kinda disagree with the statement that if you don't know how to start a sorority, than maybe you shouldn't do it. I only disagree with this because in my opinon who really DOES know how to start one? B]
Just as a point of clarification. There are some very concrete things one can do to start an organization...or for that matter a sorority. If you are not a good organizer, maybe you should not try to start a sorority. Everyone who thinks they have an idea for a good thing...or sorority for that matter again, should not necessarily start something new.

Again, I have read some great insights regarding contemporary Sorority life and please understand Jen...YOU will establish what the values of your Sorority are. As a Founder, members will look to YOU as the person who had the vision. The values will not be something you learn as you go. You will gain a greater appreciation for your vision and membership over time.

Alternately, my good business advice would be to partner with a good organizer, finance person, and record keeper to start.

Any sorority or fraternity worth its weight in gold will be able to look back and know very clearly that their founders not only had a vision but also had a plan.
Old 04-24-2002, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
ME???????????????
No not you silly sweet one...see below

Quote:
but thank you for your advice i am open to anything even ignorant comments like yours.
Old 04-24-2002, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

OH, OK!

Come to Kansas TOTO ETTE!?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-24-2002, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey there
Jenn I hope by fun you don't mean just parties and boys. I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I have manyyyy friends and know other people who said they didn't like the work of sororities and that is why they did not want to join, or people as soon as they found out it was not "just fun" left. By all means your sorority is supposed to add to your heart and mind, and you will have a lot of fun, but there are the meetings and dues, and elections, and Panhell, and community service and other things that may not seem "fun" to you, but if you really want sisterhood all around and you are that type of person you will enjoy them. You will also have your shares of stress and tears all which will help you to become a more experienced and fullfilled person by the time you leave school.
Good luck in any event
what school do you go to?
Old 04-24-2002, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

First off thank you, i know that some of the traditions are definitaly going to be in the sorority and i know that a few years down the line they may think of my ideas as old but i am just inspired in forming a sorority that is open to all and many ideas....FinerWoman, what do you mean by getting together with a record keeper or orginization?