GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,612
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, sydnemaarleyz20
» Online Users: 1,356
3 members and 1,353 guests
sydnemaarleyz20

Old 08-13-2000, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Rush Starts Today

Well, over the summer, I posted that I wanted to rush again, but was scared to because I had been through before, and had been cut by most of the houses on my campus.

But, I decided to go through anyway, so my first party is in an hour.

I've got 6 round I parties today, and 4 more tomorrow.

Wish me luck...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-13-2000, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Good Luck and HAVE FUN!

------------------
Faced with the Divine, I was asked; "What one gift do you seek?"
I answered ever so meekly; "I seek Honor, Truth, Integrity, and Wisdom, yet those are four. How am I to choose?"
The answer came as a pounding whisper; "The four you seek are but one. I grant thee Compassion; for without it the four make none."
Author - me
Old 08-13-2000, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

keep us updated!
Old 08-13-2000, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Best of luck with everything. I know how nervous you are because rush is coming up for me soon, too. I haven't been through it before, but there are still all those butterflies. I hope it all works out for you:-)
Old 08-14-2000, 01:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Hope you're having fun, and keep us posted! Good luck!
Old 08-14-2000, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, day one of Round I went pretty well. Yes, it was pretty hot out (I'm in the south), but not as hot as last year. Its hard to tell which houses will cut you after this round, because they're all "nice".

Since I went through before, I know which house I want to go to. I have a friend in that house that I was in a cotillion with my freshman year of college. Last summer, she was really helpful in preparing me for rush, and this summer when I let her know that I wanted to rush again she was extremely supportive. At her house yesterday, she came to check on my conversation with one of the actives twice, and her mom (who is not an alum, but was just helping) also came to see me. I hope that was a good sign.

I'll post more today, after I finish round I. I'll just hope not to get a call saying i've been "released" from all the chapters.
Old 08-14-2000, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

wow, this is so exciting!

i'm only going to be checking in this week every so often because i'm on vacation. i hope you get the house you want!

etienne
sigma alpha iota

------------------
"red is the color of music and has been since the very earliest of times. the caps of faeries and musicians are well-nigh always red."~*~w.b.yeats

"I think that happiness is when you can let yourself feel every emotion you want at any time instead of being a lying little fuck." - Tori Amos
Old 08-15-2000, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Thumbs up

I wish you all the best! I hope things are going well...do let us know how things wrap up!

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Old 08-15-2000, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Well, I got my invitation this morning. Yes, just one. But I didn't get released from the whole proccess, so I'm happy about that.

Apparently the old "cut once, always be cut" rule was in full effect this year, because, just as I had feared, 9 of the 10 houses let me go.

Oh well, I'm *thrilled* about the house I do have, and I just hope I can hang on to it for another 2 rounds. If I can make it to pref, I'm in (the way rush works here is that if you put all the houses you preffed on your bid card, you will get a bid from one of them...so basically you just have to hang on until pref, and then its all good).

Today and tomorrow are philanthropy days (some lucky girls have 7 parties to attend, so its spaced out over 2 days.) So, if I do not get a call from my Rho Chi on Wednesday night, that means this house wants me back for skit.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Thanks for all the support guys! It really helps!

Old 08-15-2000, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Look at you-being cut by almost all the houses and you still have a positive attitude. GOOD FOR YOU!!! Keep it up, that is really cool.
Old 08-15-2000, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Let us know what happens - I really hope all your dreams come true. Feel free to email me if you have any questions - good luck and happy days

------------------
"Alpha Chi Omega - If you only had 2 wishes, what would your second one be?"
Old 08-17-2000, 04:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Rush ended today for me.

At 11:45 PM, I got the call from the Rho Chi informing me I had not recieved any invitations for round 3.

I went in there and did my best, I felt that the party went very well, but I just never know. This is LSU (yes, i'm finally revealing my school) and rush here is brutal. Unfortunately, only the thinnest, the richest, youngest and the prettiest make the cut.

I'd like to think that it was strictly a numbers thing, that I was only cut becasue of my being a junior and they just didn't have room. But I'll always have my doubts...

Old 08-17-2000, 07:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry to hear that. Chin-up - you are a lot better off than many people because you kept your heart in it and stuck with it. I haven't met anyone yet as dedicated as you! That will help you in the future! Now lets prepare for post-recruitment if you choose...there is snap bidding, and COB will continue throughout the year. If you have classes with ladies in the sororities you are interested in, then get to know them better. When I was waiting to rush (I waited a year) I got to know people from different groups in my classes. This helped me to have people that actually knew who I was and that I was always in class, kept good grades, etc. After I became a sister, I got to know the "independents" in my class the same way so that when it came time to COB I could at least offer some names to attend meetings (and don't think this will never happen...my lil sis had to drop out of rush after 2nd round due to a family crisis and we snapped her as soon as bid matching ended!) And yes, many times being older than a sophomore will be a drawback - especially at a larger school. Well you have my email address - feel free to email me about some other stuff. I am very proud of you for keeping a positive attitude!
Old 08-17-2000, 08:08 AM
GreekChat Member

juniorgrrl, if you feel that the npc sororities are rushing on superficial characteristics, have you thought of rushing other sororities? Perhaps one that is related to your discipline where other qualities would be more important?
Old 08-17-2000, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Red face

AXO Alum: Thank you for all your advice, but here, COB is *extremely* rare. Last year only one house did it, and I went to one of the parties, and was cut immediately following the party, because this house had cut me during formal rush that fall. Also, as far as I know, there is no snap bidding here, because if a rushee puts all of the houses she prefs on her bid card, she is guaranteed a bid. The only way she does not get a bid after preference is if she suicides. It almost the rule that all houses will attain quota.

Either way, if all the houses cut me after round 2, why would anyone snap bid me? These are the same houses that couldn't invite me back simply because I had been cut last year.