GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,602
Threads: 115,517
Welcome to our newest member, IngridChav
» Online Users: 1,444
1 members and 1,443 guests
luisusadz7691

Old 05-25-2004, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay,

So I'm back from UIFI. I was able to keep in contact with the rush chairs some, and found out we gave out 4 bid cards over the weekend.

J got a bid card from us on thursday and I talked to him that night, he seemed pretty pumped about it, so hopefully he'll sign.
D had to work that night so couldn't come to the BBQ but I think our rush chair told me that he talked to D's Stepbrother and seemed pretty encouraged by the conversation. I think that D will get a chance to make it to the BBQ this thursday night.

We also gave out bid cards to the one kid I already told you about early last week. My friend in Theta, her younger brother got his bid card too. Finally a kid who came from way out west to our state basketball open house in March also got a bid. All four of these guys are on that list of potentials I posted before. I think that we have an upper hand with all four too. Some of the guys have yet to see the house yet, but all have been met at least twice. And since with the exception of J, the other three don't seem like they'll have a chance to check out the house, they got their bids in spite of that fact.

Other than that, I didn't get a chance to talk to the rush chairs today, so I figure they are out and about places. I'll post more when I know more.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-26-2004, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Betarulz!
I was able to keep in contact with the rush chairs some, and found out we gave out 4 bid cards over the weekend.
Once a man is given a bid card, how long can he wait to sign it? i.e. Any expiration date? And if so, is this a Beta fraternity rule, your chapter's or NU's IFC rule?
Old 05-28-2004, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Bid cards "expire" after two weeks from the date they are issued, which is a University rule. I'm not sure if this means that if a bid card given to rushee A is give on June 1st if it must be into Greek Affairs by June 15th or just signed by that day. However a house can continue sending bids to "renew" the offer of membership after that two week period of the preceeding bid is up.

***note on bid cards: Many rushees will receive bid cards from more than one chapter if they go through rush for any sort of extended period of time. The earlier guys start rush the more likely they are to get multiple bids from what I've seen. Bid cards must be signed by the head rush chair, the rushee and one of the rushee's parents/guardians. I think that the reason for the parent's signing is b/c the freshmen can move into the houses without ever going to the dorms and so it's probably a good idea to have the parents aware of the situation.

As for rush news, another BBQ last night, and I think 2 bid cards were extended and one of those guys signed it right then. So we have pledge #1!!!Good kid from a Lincoln HS that we don't have any guys from. For those interested it's Rushee K. Of the 6 bid cards out, it appears that 3 are very likely to sign with us (including J), 1 is between only us and one other chapter and we're not real sure about what the last guy is thinking...this is my friend the Theta's little brother, so I know that he's technically down to us, SigEp and Farmhouse from what she told him she would allow him to sign.

Today, all three rush chairs came down to KS to visit a rushee and take him out. Tomorrow we have a rush event in Ogallala NE way out west. Knowing who is likely to be out there, I think we may get another guy signed out there, but I don't have any idea if any of the other probables will be getting a bid card.

The major topic of discussion of late in the chapter is whether it is appropriate for us to sign a kid who will be a Junior in the fall. The guy knows some members fo the house, who all vouch for the kid as someone who would be an asset for Beta, but most of us are against the idea, b/c he would only be in the house for two years, and it's out of the ordinary for our chapter. Plus there are major concerns about his bonding with his pledge brothers and him being okay with the active/pledge relationship with guys who are younger than he is. The rush chairs are against signing him, as am I, although my reason is b/c within two minutes of meeting him, he suggested that I shouldn't become a doctor b/c I said I was nervous about the MCAT. He then suggested I become an Actuarial scientist like him. Just seemed to insinuate that Act Sci was the best thing for anyone to be. That really rubbed me the wrong way.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the info on bid cards.

Now for some questions about rushing and or bidding juniors.

Quote:
The major topic of discussion of late in the chapter is whether it is appropriate for us to sign a kid who will be a Junior in the fall. The guy knows some members fo the house, who all vouch for the kid as someone who would be an asset for Beta, but most of us are against the idea, b/c he would only be in the house for two years, and it's out of the ordinary for our chapter.
Other than maybe not having beds in the house, y'all don't have quota do you? I guess I don't understand why having "an asset to Beta" - who happens to be a junior - would be bad.

Quote:
Plus there are major concerns about his bonding with his pledge brothers and him being okay with the active/pledge relationship with guys who are younger than he is. The rush chairs are against signing him, as am I...
Are these concerns about him specifically or is the concern with juniors (3rd years) in general having potential problems bonding etc.?

Quote:
...although my reason is b/c within two minutes of meeting him, he suggested that I shouldn't become a doctor b/c I said I was nervous about the MCAT. He then suggested I become an Actuarial scientist like him. Just seemed to insinuate that Act Sci was the best thing for anyone to be.
Yikes!

Quote:
That really rubbed me the wrong way.
Well, as the women here are apt to say, keep an open mind. Maybe he was nervous. Or maybe he's a jerk. I'm sure y'all will do the right thing.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SiKeS
Yeah its a possibility that he was just nervous.. Who knows...

You could use the 3 strikes rule on him...

Strike one - He's a junior (if that isnt TOO huge of an issue)

Strike two - He said something jerkish (possible out of nervousness)

To find out if he is actually a jerk or just nervous, I'd try to spend some more time with him and see how that goes... I'm sure everyone does something stupid during rush out of nervousness.

I'm sure that I've had my idiot moments... I can't and couldn't remember them and I'm sure what I did didn't seem stupid at the time (head pouding in the morning made me think otherwise)...

But yeah..

Anyway, great thread beta... I've been enjoying reading your posts..

Good luck to ya,

-Matt
Old 05-30-2004, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

it's refreshing to see hard work pay off each summer.
betaruiz, you guys do it so well.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay,

Saturday's rush event was apparently pretty successful. Three guys showed up, including a rushee who is our #1 goal for the summer. Two of the guys had bids already, and the third got his that day. The two who had bids are definitely leaning our way so that's real good as everyone said great things about them.

The new bidded rushee was also well liked, and he's friends with our #1 guy, but we're unsure of what he's thinking about.

The events that took place after the event in Ogallala seemed to be far more low key than in past years but considering some of the circumstances it's understandable.

Also, D looks like he's going to get a bid card based on the fact that he's so excited about the house, and that he's impressed the rush chairs. I think J is likely to sing pretty quick, as at the last BBQ he brought his girlfriend with him...seemed like a positive sign to me.

As for the junior discussion: The concerns about bonding with his pledge class are for all juniors, and it should be noted that we don't just look for guys that are going to be assets to our house when going through rush. One of the questions usually asked is how is the rushee going to fit into the house. There have been plenty of occasions where a guy had the killer app but when we met with him, he wasn't our type of guy, either way too cocky, or just not social enough for our tastes - my personal feeling is that whether youre nervous or not, you need to be outgoing enough to carry on a conversation. So that's why we might not sign a guy who out on campus would be an asset for us. Also, the jerky comments had been a major strike against this guy, and there were many people who had other comments the guy had made that made everyone question. In the end though, it doesn't matter as he has told us that he's no longer rushing us.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry about the lack of updates...

The GC community will be happy to hear that both J and D signed with my chapter last night. I wasn't there when it happened due to my Kaplan MCAT class, but J called me last night to tell me the news before I went to the bars.

J wasn't quite the sure signee I thought he was going to be in my last post. I talked to him on Monday and he told me that it was between us and another house - one that I really don't like as a whole (There are some guys in there that I really do like but as a whole...). So I took the oppurtunity to flat out tell J that I thought Beta was THE best place for him. I think that bold statement probably meant a lot to him.

D had just been needing to get to an event to get his bid card, and like I've said before he's been really excited about Beta from the beginning.

As of right now we have 14 bids out, and three guys signed.
Of the 14, one is likely to sign with us, though his bidding has been a matter of intense discussion, as he is a really nice kid, but his HS GPA and ACT scores are far below what is normally expected. His older sister is a good friend of the house - she has gone out with one guy who transferred, and is kinda going out with one of my pledge brothers currently. She is the reason that we even pulled his app out in the first place. I think the rush chairs talked to him and really layed out the situation and the feelings of guys in the house about him. But just in general there has been a lot of discussion on our message board about what needs to be a minimum standard.

4 guys are assumed to be leaning this way.

5 are between us and one or two other houses, including our #1 and #3 targets for the summer. Hopefully we can pull those guys out.

The remaining 4 are unknown in their intentions

This Saturday we are having a rush event at one of the nearby state parks. Always a fun one b/c it's really close to Lincoln so more guys make it, and more girls too. I've already got about 5 girls I work with planning on coming out and bringing friends. Hopefully we'll get some more pledges by the end of the weekend.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Sounds awesome! Keep us updated! And congratulations on the new members!
Old 06-13-2004, 03:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay, today sucked...f-ing weather, we were supposed to have a rush event at a lake but it rained all day, so we hung out at the chapter house and watched movies. Small turnout of rushees, but decent attendacne of brothers and girls.

One rushee got a bid card, but all I know is that he is a sophomore. Was a quiet kid, but seemed okay with that.

We had a kid who is a legacy, but he was a tool...incredibly annoying and said a lot of things that I didn't find appropriate for a rushee or a Beta. Called the ringtone on a rush chairs cell phone gay and is between us and a house that has a lot of guys from his HS in it. Considering the usual houses most rushees come down to with us, this house is not impressive at all. I don't think he will get a bid card at all.

D came around and continued to impress, so that's awesome, although it isn't as important now since he signed.It's awesoem to talk to him about Beta now, as he's so super excited. Every hour he wants some new Beta item, and I have to tell that he should wait for his initiation and all, but it's all cool. It's awesoem to see a guy that excited abotu it all.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:19 AM
GreekChat Member

sounds like you are right on track and all is well.
congrats on a good summer, so far.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay...I'm a little dissappointed, more so that I think I've ever been in two years of following rush (3 summers ago, when the juniors to be were being rushed, I was at space camp and we didn't have a message board, so I had no idea what was going on).

3 really good guys are going to other houses. Never seen such a mass defection away from us. Last summer, every guy who had a bid up to June 21st signed with us, so it's a little dissappointing. I'm most sad to see my friend in Theta's lil' bro drop us, because I don't think he's met enough of our guys, but I guess that's how it goes. Of the two he supposedly has left, I really hope it's one and not the other.

On the bright side, we signed a guy out of Omaha, so we're now up to 4 pledges, which is exactly how many we had last year on June 15th.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:53 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Quote:

On the bright side, we signed a guy out of Omaha, so we're now up to 4 pledges, which is exactly how many we had last year on June 15th.
that's not bad at all. Good Job.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 06-16-2004, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

hon, do you know what might have happen with your defectors?
otherwise, you are on a roll and it's still only the middle of june.
keep the faith.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mmcat
hon, do you know what might have happen with your defectors?
otherwise, you are on a roll and it's still only the middle of june.
keep the faith.
One of them said that another house just felt right, and so I can't argue with that. I was encouraged by the fact that the rush chair I tend most to agree with said he wasn't really upset that the guy joined that chapter.

As for the other guys, one joined a house strictly because one of his friends joined it. The friend is little brother of one of this house's top members. Seriously, people are predicting the downfall of this chapter once this older brother and a guy in his pledge class graduate.

The other guy, my friend in Theta's little brother - no idea. I do know that it has come down to our two rivals. One that rivals us in grades and the other for the "cool" involved guys. One of those chapters is being really pushy, rumor has it they are hoping to be done with rush by the middle of next week (absolutely ludicrous except for the AG houses) so I think it may be a case of them being pushy with this guy. Perhaps he's just not as good of fit as I imagined.

Finally, more good news, the kid with the less than stellar app received a bid and signed with us. so we are now up to 5! Again, really likeable kid, hopefully just needs some motivation.

ETA: this is my 1111th post on GC!!!