GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,563
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, VickiWhita
» Online Users: 1,383
4 members and 1,379 guests
indygphib, naraht, PGD-GRAD, Sen's Revenge

Old 05-06-2023, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

/swerve

Titchou, your memory made me recall my own preference at Theta. The dessert being served was cherries jubilee. Very elegant presentation, crystal bowl… fancy. Yeah. This was more than a few years ago. Yes, brandy, yes lighter. You won’t see that today.

Cue a large flame (an explosion from the fumes I guess), a sudden “whoosh”, and the bowl cracked and then broke in two. Ice cream, cherries, etc. went everywhere. It was a slow motion disaster. I managed to not scream or laugh although I desperately wanted to do both at once. I couldn’t make eye contact with the other PNMs or any of the actives. Fortunately this was close to the end of the pref ceremony. I went to Pi Phi for my 2nd pref party but don’t recall much after the cherries jubilee.

Our chapter never served cherries jubilee ever again. I can still see the President and Rush Chair standing behind the table which was elegantly set. Lighted candles. Beautiful linens and silver. Oh my… memory lane.

Some of my pledge sisters were in my pref group. To this day we still share that memory and now we laugh. At the time I was likely in a bit of shock plus overwhelmed with the entire rush experience and I don’t recall discussing it with anyone else.

/end of swerve, back to crying & anchors in the eyes. Titchou I would have laughed with you! Cheers to my favorite anchor mate.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-07-2023, 07:29 AM
GreekChat Member

AZTheta - love it! Should have known we would have had even more in common!
Old 05-07-2023, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

I'm glad there are others like this.

When I was a Panhel advisor at Mississippi State, one sorority was having their pref party at an alum's beautiful house on a lake. I had to go to this one for the first time slot. There were all these ducks out there and every time the president would ask a passionate question, like, "Is ABC in your heart?" or "What do you think of ABC?". the evil ducks would jeer, "Waaaakk waaak waak!" and it sounded like they were sneering at the question. I finally HAD to go inside because they wouldn't quit and I had tears running down my face, trying to keep from laughing.
Old 05-07-2023, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
/swerve
Cue a large flame (an explosion from the fumes I guess), a sudden “whoosh”, and the bowl cracked and then broke in two. Ice cream, cherries, etc. went everywhere. It was a slow motion disaster. I managed to not scream or laugh although I desperately wanted to do both at once. I couldn’t make eye contact with the other PNMs or any of the actives. Fortunately this was close to the end of the pref ceremony. I went to Pi Phi for my 2nd pref party but don’t recall much after the cherries jubilee.
LOL....awww.

In 2005, the Alpha Chi Omega house at San Diego State University caught on fire during preference round. The culprit was a candle that was too close to some draperies.

True and Constant
Old 05-07-2023, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post

When I was a Panhel advisor at Mississippi State, one sorority was having their pref party at an alum's beautiful house on a lake. I had to go to this one for the first time slot. There were all these ducks out there and every time the president would ask a passionate question, like, "Is ABC in your heart?" or "What do you think of ABC?". the evil ducks would jeer, "Waaaakk waaak waak!" and it sounded like they were sneering at the question. I finally HAD to go inside because they wouldn't quit and I had tears running down my face, trying to keep from laughing.
It would be so hard not to laugh in this situation. Kudos to you!
Old 05-07-2023, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

How did I miss this?! As a lover of ducks, I would have totally lost it!
Old 05-08-2023, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Concur - crying is common. Some even want the PNMs to cry at Pref. Oddly enough, I thought i doomed my chances for DG when I laughed during a very serious part of pref. they sang "do I see an anchor in your eye" and then dropped a pin pillow with anchor badge on it in your lap. I just visualized a big eyeball with an anchor stuck in it! But they took me anyway!!!

Titchou-So glad that your chapter wanted you even after that pref moment!

Truth be told, it's my least favorite of our Fraternity's many sentimental songs. I was typically with the group that during rehearsal was putting a little too much "enthusiasm" into singing that song's lyrics while our song leader glared at us.
Old 05-08-2023, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
/swerve

Titchou, your memory made me recall my own preference at Theta. The dessert being served was cherries jubilee. Very elegant presentation, crystal bowl… fancy. Yeah. This was more than a few years ago. Yes, brandy, yes lighter. You won’t see that today.

Our chapter never served cherries jubilee ever again. I can still see the President and Rush Chair standing behind the table which was elegantly set. Lighted candles. Beautiful linens and silver. Oh my… memory lane.

Some of my pledge sisters were in my pref group. To this day we still share that memory and now we laugh. At the time I was likely in a bit of shock plus overwhelmed with the entire rush experience and I don’t recall discussing it with anyone else.

/end of swerve, back to crying & anchors in the eyes. Titchou I would have laughed with you! Cheers to my favorite anchor mate.

Now that is an awesome story!!! Please tell me it's in with one of the threads like "weird rush stories!"
Old 05-09-2023, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I would have died right there on the spot. My insides would have exploded and liquefied from the pressure of trying not to laugh.

Ditto for the cherries jubilee. Oh. My. God.
Old 05-09-2023, 04:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Now that is an awesome story!!! Please tell me it's in with one of the threads like "weird rush stories!"
No. Truth be told I had completely forgotten about it until my anchor mate shared her story and *bing* triggered the image of the exploding bowl. Aside: wonder now what they did for the second party that night? How do you clean that up? What did they serve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake View Post
I would have died right there on the spot. My insides would have exploded and liquefied from the pressure of trying not to laugh.

Ditto for the cherries jubilee. Oh. My. God.
I cannot stop laughing about the ducks.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 05-09-2023, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Good thing that I wasn't there with you because I would have found it hard not to imitate the ducks. (Which is probably the reason that I would never be asked to fulfill that type of role. )
Old 05-09-2023, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

These stories had me rolling!

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story