GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,667
Threads: 115,521
Welcome to our newest member, Dysonqhl
» Online Users: 1,025
0 members and 1,025 guests
No Members online

Old 06-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

recruitment statistics(might put it all in perspective)

I was visiting the Auburn University panhellenic website and read the info. that they provided for parents of pnms. it was very informative, and listed some statistics, which i found explained how, even in a competitive recruitment, the majority of pnms can receive bids, as long as they maximize their opportunities. This is the link- https://fp.auburn.edu/greek/parents.htm.

For those who don't have the time to read it all, I will paraphrase the statistical information:

Using 4 years of statistics, Auburn determined that 78.26 % of pnms joined a sorority. 6.62% were released from recruitment. Of that 6.62%, 3.57% were true releases, meaning that at some point in the week, they received no invitations. The remaining 3.05%, which equaled 146 pnms, were released on bid day. These women listed fewer choices on their preference card than they had options. In other words, they did not list every sorority whose preference party they had attended.

That leaves approximately 15.16% of pnms who withdrew from recruitment. Of those pnms who withdrew from recruitment and completed a recruitment survey, almost 95% listed "not receiving an invitation to their favorite chapter" as their reason for dropping out of recruitment, even when they had 5 or more invitations from other chapters.

So, 2009/10 pnms, here it is in black and white. According to these statistics, if you maximize your opportunites during recruitment, you most likely will end up in a sorority. Keep your options and your mind open.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 06-23-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-23-2009, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting stuff - thanks for posting. I find it really sad when rushees would rather be in no sorority at all than a sorority that isn't regarded as the best. I wish I could just shake them and say, "At least give it a chance!!" I know so many women who (reluctantly) joined their second, third or fourth-choice sorority and ended up loving their experience, often more than if they had gotten their first choice.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you FSUZTA - nice read.

After you graduate and mature a bit you do realize that those famous words "give it a chance" make a great deal of sense. When you are 17, 18, or 19 and going through the process you just have those blinders on and you think with that tunnel vision. I would love young women to know that college/sorority life is for just four amazing and quick years, but membership is a life experience. If you desire this membership for life, you really should consider maximizing all of you options. You have just once chance to make this decision!
Old 06-23-2009, 01:56 PM

Thank you for posting this!

To be honest, PNMs need to realize that at bigger schools like Auburn, you really only have ONE shot at recruitment. Your chances decrease SIGNIFICANTLY the next year, so it is in your best interest to give that chapter a chance if you get a bid, because that will likely be the only one you'll get.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much for this info! And yes, it does make the process a little easier to understand. I will be going through recruitment at the Univ. of Kansas this Fall, where as many as 900 girls participate. My parents used to be wary of me joining a sorority because of last year's statistics: only 600 of the 900 pledged. At a Greek Life meeting that we attended together at New Student Orientation, we learned that about 200 girls withdrew! It's good to have these explanations of why girls need to maximize their options and be open-minded! I promised my mom and dad that I would stick with it no matter what happens during the week of recruitment. Now my parents are completely happy that I want to "go Greek."
Old 06-23-2009, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow!
Talk about putting the process into perspective. I can't believe how many people give up on it and withdraw .
Old 06-23-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpacer View Post
Wow!
Talk about putting the process into perspective. I can't believe how many people give up on it and withdraw .

The thing is, it happens when girls go into recruitment with pre-determined "favorites."

They decide BEFORE recruitment even starts that they only want to be in ___ or ___.

So when they get their lists back and __ or __ aren't on it, they decide they aren't happy and withdraw. They could have a FULL schedule, but they decide they don't want to continue since they didn't get invited back to their faves.

Solution: Try not to get so wrapped up in one or 2 chapters that you refuse to continue if you don't get them back on your lists.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Those statistics are very interesting hear. Especially the amount of girls who withdraw cause they didnt get into their favorite. Chances are if you didnt get into your favorite the first time around you wont get in the second time.
I remember growing up thinking it was an accomplishment to get into a sorority period. I sometimes wish pnms these days would realize it a privilege to be Greek cause some girls werent lucky enough to even get invited back after Open House. I understand not choosing a sorority because you have significant problems with the women in that chapter or their morals or different than yours. Other than that if you go through recruitment with the mind set that you are lucky to come out with a bid, then your chances of being heartbroken on Bid Day are decreased. My sorority wanst my first choice during recruitment, but I was happy that they wanted me and it turned out being the best chapter for me.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:51 AM
Banned

I doubt if many PNMs drop out because they will only join one or two chapters but because they are cut by all the top chapters and many more drop out because they are cut by not only the top chapters but by the middle tier chapters as well and are left with the bottom of the social pyramid chapters. Whether we like it or not when you join a sorority you are branded like you carry a big neon sign advertising your position in the social food chain. These girls don’t want to carry that brand and would prefer to go GDI which carries no particular brand other than you didn’t join a sorority. Another thing to think about is that guys couldn’t care less what sorority you are in or if you are a GDI. Guys gain social prestige by having a “hot” girlfriend, not what her sorority status is if any.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

That probably depends on the campus you're at. I've known many guys at various campuses who wouldn't be caught dead dating anyone who wasn't in one of the prestigious sororities. Really. If a guy has a hot girlfriend who isn't Greek, his friends wonder what huge thing is wrong with her that she looks so good but isn't Greek.

Yeah, that's bad of course but i'm just reporting it as I've seen it.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
That probably depends on the campus you're at. I've known many guys at various campuses who wouldn't be caught dead dating anyone who wasn't in one of the prestigious sororities. Really. If a guy has a hot girlfriend who isn't Greek, his friends wonder what huge thing is wrong with her that she looks so good but isn't Greek.

agreed, and i have known plenty of girls who did totally drop out of recruitment because they were dropped by their one and only hearts desire, but had plenty of other invitations they could have accepted.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post

I saw quite a bit of that at my campus, too.

A few friends dropped out of rush after only getting invited back to houses they felt undesirable. They had no intention of re-rushing and knew their chances were blown, but they would rather not be Greek than to join (or at least give a chance to) a house they didn't care for.

To each her own.

Thanks FSUZeta for posting the stats/analysis. I hope it will encourage future PNMs!
Old 06-24-2009, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm thinking that the release figure model may help with this phenomena - since a girl won't be strung along, falling for the chapter to then be released right before preference time. Not sure how long it has been in place at Auburn but the fact that all the sororities made quota plus this fall seems to demonstrate that it is working.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

i believe that Auburn was one of the first to use the release figure method, so these statistics should reflect that.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
3.57% were true releases, meaning that at some point in the week, they received no invitations. The remaining 3.05%, which equaled 146 pnms, were released on bid day.
Of course this means that something over 146 pnms were true releases at Auburn during the week. Hurtful if you are one of them. Or was 146 + over the course of 4 years? 36 a year, while still tough for the girls is not as brutal as 146.

Last edited by lawgal; 06-25-2009 at 04:29 PM.