GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,617
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, bbobbytop7464
» Online Users: 1,826
1 members and 1,825 guests
anaalielittle67

Old 10-22-2009, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nld101307
Exclamation Working through the stages but need some help!

Hey there GC!!

So I'm brand new to the boards but I have been lurking like some other new members to the site because I've been trying to do as much research as possible. (I promise I've searched before posting!)

My situation is that I'm a student at a university that has no affiliation with any sororities or fraternities. I've sat down with the student activities director and she explained why the school frowns upon them. There is a group of girls that are interested in starting a sorority so we've decided to do this in an underground fashion. The problem that we're having is coming up with a name. I know that there are meanings behind each of the letters and they are all special and specific to every sorority but how are we to decide if they are secretive? It's kind of a circle we're stuck in but once we have an idea of the meanings, we're planning on doing some more research once we get over this hump to make sure that the name we chose isn't already taken.

Any points in the right direction would be such a huge help and I'm sending my thanks ahead of time!!

Last edited by nld101307; 10-23-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-22-2009, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

The letters you choose should mean something to the girls, but it doesn't need to be secretive. However, you should have a secretive motto, that is when people here that you have a secretive motto, they say something like "I wonder what it means", sort of like a curiosity is what drags some people in. Just a thought, but whatever the letters you choose make sure they mean something, weather it is greek or not it doesnt matter.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

It would probably be a lot better if you went to a national organization that already has the history and resources for this sort of thing, and talked to them about forming a colony at your university. This would put people in your corner with both experience and understanding as to how stuff like this works... also, a national organization sounds like it would be a lot better at your school because they already know a lot about the risk management and whatnot that I'm sure concerns the administration where you're at.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbRush2009 View Post
It would probably be a lot better if you went to a national organization that already has the history and resources for this sort of thing, and talked to them about forming a colony at your university. This would put people in your corner with both experience and understanding as to how stuff like this works... also, a national organization sounds like it would be a lot better at your school because they already know a lot about the risk management and whatnot that I'm sure concerns the administration where you're at.
You ARE dumb, aren't you? A national organization does not seem to be an option because of the university administration.

OP, choose something that means something to you and your friends, not something some internet randoms tell you. You can find a lot of good Greek lexicons online to help you out with putting a meaning behind your letters.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbRush2009 View Post
It would probably be a lot better if you went to a national organization that already has the history and resources for this sort of thing, and talked to them about forming a colony at your university.
No.

The OP has already said the university's administration is not interested in opening up to Greek life. In order for an NPC to "form a colony", the university has to be open to expansion (is it still expansion if there's nothing to begin with?). OP, don't go contacting NPCs thinking you're going to get anywhere with this.

ETA: Looks like Gusteau and I cross-posted!
Old 10-22-2009, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

An NPC won't colonize "underground" either.

To be completely honest with you, OP, I wouldn't suggest founding a local sorority at all. The risk management issues are too great, and most insurance companies won't insure you unless you have the support of and are affiliated with your university.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I wasnt planning on getting on the phone with NPC anytime soon...LOL!
Old 10-22-2009, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I foresee articles in the news about hazing incidents at Neumann University, a college with no greek system, within the near future...
Old 10-22-2009, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Just find some phrase that has some meaning to you, and it doesn't have to be secret. For instance I know AST has a open motto based on their letters, but I'm sure thet have some other meaning. You could always do that. And also, just because you are using Greek letters doesn't mean your meaning behind them have to be in Greek.

ETA: Why do you want to found a sorority and why is the school against it?
Old 10-22-2009, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherKD View Post
I foresee articles in the news about hazing incidents at Neumann University, a college with no greek system, within the near future...

Are you supposed to call people out like that? I mean...come on. This is the first time I post and you have to be that way instantly?
Old 10-22-2009, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nld101307 View Post
Are you supposed to call people out like that? I mean...come on. This is the first time I post and you have to be that way instantly?
It's called discretion sweety. You gave enough info for anybody to figure out where you were with just a couple minutes of work.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pres_ciha View Post
The letters you choose should mean something to the girls, but it doesn't need to be secretive. However, you should have a secretive motto, that is when people here that you have a secretive motto, they say something like "I wonder what it means", sort of like a curiosity is what drags some people in. Just a thought, but whatever the letters you choose make sure they mean something, weather it is greek or not it doesnt matter.

GLOs don't have secret mottos just so someone can ask "I wonder what it means",nor with the goal of "dragging" people in. There are many reasons why something might be secret in a Fraternity and Sorority. I won't debate what any of those possible reasons are, but it isn't to bait someone's curiosity or fulfll someone else's fantasy of what being a member is like.

Please don't offer advice when you have no knowledge on a topic.

To the OP - mottos or any other phrases, principles, objects, mascots, etc. should be special to the group. Whether you want any of that information to be secret is up to you.