GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,617
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, bbobbytop7464
» Online Users: 1,153
1 members and 1,152 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 09-19-2009, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ecugamma
Sorry so long ...

Although I have not formally brought this subject up to my Sorority, I am very interested in pursuing this idea for the following reasons .... many locals do not get enough "credit" or "backing" from thier university. If the National Board is able to provide real value which will allow an individual Chapter to show decreased "risk" to a campus, then they may be able to gain the credibility many seem to seek.

At my campus, we had multiple GLO who were not recognized by the "National" Boards on campus, but still wanted to have a voice. On campuses where there are multiple local GLOs, all of them could come under this umbrella, and they may be able to have enough clout to make another National Board that sits alongside NPC and IFC on their campus. This would just promote more visibility and potentially increase recruitment numbers, which alomost every local struggles with.

IF enough locals get together and pay dues to this National Board, then the National Board could get liability insurance for each organization through a company like HR Kirklin. This would only protect the individual chapters and officers in areas of risk, and it would also show a positive comittment to the University that these organizations are really looking out for their members, especially when thinking about retreats and candles during initiation etc.... (I am a very large advocate for Sorority Insurance)

A National Board could also form a Housing Corporation. Universities like money, and that would be a good avenue for gaining University support. Also, individual Chapters may not utilize alumni donations to their full potential. This Board would allow for an immediate HUGE alumni pool to gatehr funds to be re-distributed to individual Chapters, which is always helpful.

Now, I agree that some sororities would be apprehensive at first, and that the National Board should not think "Just because we built it, they will come." In fact, I think the opposite. If this Board really wants to fulfill its potential, it should utilize the groups with initial interest, use its money wisely and start its own "recruitment campaign" showing locals why they SHOULD join this board.

After all, once upon a time, the NMGC did not exist on any campus. Now, the NMGC represents GLOs side-by-side to NPC, and this is exactly how they have done it. BTW- I PM'd you with my contact information if you would like to discuss this further.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )