GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,669
Threads: 115,521
Welcome to our newest member, maximusshtlzeay
» Online Users: 890
0 members and 890 guests
No Members online

Old 10-08-2012, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Non-Greek dating Greek & the struggles.

I'm new to this forum but I just wanted to make a thread specifically geared towards people who are non-greek dating greek. I realize that in this forum that is a minority. But for those of you who may have been in that position, what were your struggles? Did you go greek?

For those of you who are greek dating non greek, do you see struggles? I just wanted some input from both sides.

Being Non-Greek dating Greek, I have a hard time with attachment issues. I like to spend time with my boyfriend but at the same time, all he wants to do is sit at his house with his brothers. he never wants to do anything other than that. He always wants to do something with his brothers. I feel unimportant.

Help. /:
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-08-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslieAK View Post
I'm new to this forum but I just wanted to make a thread specifically geared towards people who are non-greek dating greek. I realize that in this forum that is a minority. But for those of you who may have been in that position, what were your struggles? Did you go greek?

For those of you who are greek dating non greek, do you see struggles? I just wanted some input from both sides.

Being Non-Greek dating Greek, I have a hard time with attachment issues. I like to spend time with my boyfriend but at the same time, all he wants to do is sit at his house with his brothers. he never wants to do anything other than that. He always wants to do something with his brothers. I feel unimportant.

Help. /:
Yep, this has NOTHING to do with Greek life. He's just not that into you. It would be the same deal if he was a football player/mathlete/college Republican.

If you want to send him running for the hills in record time, keep complaining about the time he spends with his friends and his Greek affiliation and being needy and clingy.

If you want to maybe salvage this relationship, get some activities and interests of your own (Greek or non-Greek, it doesn't really matter) that have nothing to do with him and everything to do with what YOU like to do.

He's got a whole college of girls to choose from that see themselves as whole people rather than just as someone's girlfriend.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Agree with what other posters have said. Also, in your other post you mentioned you are not enrolled in school this semester. In any relationship, you want to spend time with your s/o, but you also have to give them a chance to live their life and go to class, work, and their other activities. If he's breaking plans with you or ignoring you completely, that may be signs of bigger issues in your relationship. If you're being super clingy and expecting him to forsake all other friendships for you, that is simply unrealistic.

I know plenty of girls who were jealous of their boyfriend's fraternity, but got over it once they joined a sorority or found another activity to devote their time to.

Talk to your boyfriend about how you are feeling.