GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,577
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, annagoolet2907
» Online Users: 1,829
2 members and 1,827 guests
annagoolet2907, g41965

Old 12-11-2002, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Really, Really, Really lost alumni

Anyone have any luck finding lost alumni of their chapter?

I have my chapter down to about 10 lost (out of 250 or so alumni). One guy in particular, our founding Archon (president) and initiate #1 of my chapter has been missing forever. None of the alumni know where he is or even where he moved to after college or anything. It is rumored that he joined the witness protection program, though I think that is just a rumor.

I have tried everything from the school alumni association, nationals address lists, chapter records, online searches and just doing a google search of his name. I even emailed a dozen or so persons of the same name that I found on the internet, but no luck.

I would glady accept any suggestions anyone has...
thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-11-2002, 04:11 PM
hendrixski

if the witness protection program rumor is valid I would give up. He's hiding for a reason.

but the chances of that are slim. It seems to me like you have done everything in your power to do, and that is very commendable. It seems highly unlikely that he wouldn't keep in contact with all of his brothers or friends from College: keep asking around the other founding members, maybe they do know, but you missed the one who knew.

If not my assumption would be he will come back to the house when he feels he needs that connection to his past. Usually alumni are most active between when they graduate and their late 20's then they dissapear.... they don't get involved again 'till after their 50's. Maybe he's one of those who'll show up in his 50's.

don't know what else to tell you.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Oh yes, your reality of the situation is so true! Have been through it so have first hand knowdledge!

Trying to find one individual is tough and there may been many reasons!

BN Chapter of LXA finally found # 2 of the Local EKD and was A I initiatied at their 30 th Founders Day!

Damn what an occasion that was, and am damn glad to have been able to be there all the way from Kansas to FL!

Do not give up hope! Does your National have a data base? It might by chance be in there!

Dont give up!

Look on search engines for that person! Takes a lot fo work and good luck!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-11-2002, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
Any possibility he doesn't want to be found?

Maybe you were successful in contacting him, thorough e-mailing all those guys of the same name...... but he's not ready to come back, for whatever reason. If he's not keeping in touch with his chapter brothers, this might be the case.

I agree with keeping up with the alumni, though -- if he DOES come back into contact with him, they'll let him know you're looking for him.
Old 12-11-2002, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

You could hire a private investigator. Will cost a little but they'll be your best bet in finding the guy.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-12-2002, 12:09 AM

Try putting an ad saying "please contact us!" in the alum magazine, your fraternity magazine, and his hometown newspaper.

There are lots of people who want contact to be from their side only and this is often how they do it.
Old 12-13-2002, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I found my Chapter's first President thru www.classmates.com, now if I could find the other 100+ sisters!

Tthe harder problem is getting alumnae to stay active!
Old 12-14-2002, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

If you know any of his past addresses, you could probably find him using Lexis Nexis-- I've used it to track down many people. Unfortunately, you have to be a user/ subscriber. But there may be someone on your campus that has Lexis Nexis that would be willing to help you.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
KTsnake has a good idea. If you have their social security numbers it would be a breeze for a private detective you can also do it yourself with a SSN.

You could get all ten with one fell swoop.

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
You could hire a private investigator. Will cost a little but they'll be your best bet in finding the guy.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
What hotdamn is saying is correct also. First Founder like that is a labor of love, if he has totally lost contact he may have parted with the chapter on some bad terms. Meaning some bad relationships. Sometimes a primary founder might not be well liked.

Quote:
Originally posted by HotDamnImAPhiMu
Any possibility he doesn't want to be found?

Maybe you were successful in contacting him, thorough e-mailing all those guys of the same name...... but he's not ready to come back, for whatever reason. If he's not keeping in touch with his chapter brothers, this might be the case.

I agree with keeping up with the alumni, though -- if he DOES come back into contact with him, they'll let him know you're looking for him.
Old 12-14-2002, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

try...

Hello.

Try you schools development office which is often different from your schools alumni office. Also ask them and ask at the lirary about Lexus/Nexus software...its a tracking software that many development research offices use. It will tell you if he passed away or anythig like that.

Also try calling you HQ - they may have access to tracking software that is better than free online stuff.

I worked at a company that had awesome lost alum tracking software - it was actually originally used in law enforcement..but I don't work there anymore

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.
Old 12-29-2002, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Try this

The school is your best hope - they have resour$e$ and people. Tell them what you are doing.

The school alumni assn. or library may also have back copies of the campus student directory. If you can find where he lived during his high school days, it may lead to a relative or a good lead.

Look at the yearbooks from his campus days. Maybe he is pictured with some friend, who might help. Also look at his campus activities - sports? If he was active in the campus Young Republicans, or something, he may still be active.

What was his major? If he was in education, perhaps the teachers union or state BOE could help.

He may be sitting out there saying "I joined this fraternity for life, and paid a lifetime membership fee, and they haven't sent me a thing for 10 years."

Good luck.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Ditto Hoosier on the school thing. However, the alumni office isn't always willing to help (and aren't allowed to because of all of the rules about giving out personal information) but teachers are the key.

There is a Chemistry professor at my school that publishes a semesterly newsletter about science students. I've been able to track down quite a few of our Founding Fathers through this because they were all science majors.

See if you can do this and talk to the professors. Also, maybe talk to the Greek Affairs person if they've been in the position for a while.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I found most of our lost sisters through classmates.com. I also found a few people through the hotmail directory. I tried sending an e-mail to the University that I attended to help me locate the few remaining lost sisters but they never responded to me.

I only have NINE more sisters to find!

If anyone wants help trying to locate a few people PM me with some names and I'll try and help you out!!

Last edited by AOX81; 02-12-2003 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

Yes it so damn frustrating when you cannot find memebers!!

What is more so, is when you find someone and they change anything and are lost once again because they do not tell you!

I have used many seach engines for addresses?phone #'s. The only way after that is to get on the phone and call or send e-m's.

Check with the Alumni Office at your School, or your Organization to see if they have a data base.

As impatient as I get, I call. Phone bill was not cheap, but found many, who gave me others, who gave me others!

Never give up as I do sometimes, but I suck it up and keep after it! It pays off when your old Alums come back for a function!

LX Z # 1
Alumni