GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,577
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, annagoolet2907
» Online Users: 2,007
0 members and 2,007 guests
No Members online

Old 02-21-2003, 12:56 AM

Alum chapter stream of conciousness sorta vent

I just woke up from a nap, so bear with me if this gets wordy or nonsensical.

The alum chapter that I'm pres of is pretty much inactive right now. We were founded basically so we could have a voice in some of the things that were happening on the national level and so we could do community service and such as a group. I am here to tell you trying to keep it going has been damn frustrating.

the first thing has just been trying to find a meeting place...as other Pittsburghers know this isn't the easiest place to get around in. Meeting at restaurants gets a little expensive after a while, we don't have access to anything like a classroom, and I'm not crazy about meeting at people's houses. Not only do we all live on back roads, I don't feel comfortable having a meeting when the hostess's 2 kids are running around nekkid after their bedtime bath. That would be one thing if it was all people from our college chapter, but I am trying to bring in people from all chapters and I don't want them to feel weird. Who knows, maybe that is just my hangup - if so please tell me.

I've gotten very sick of scheduling meetings to have one person show up, asking people to check out things for us to do and not getting back to me, and all the people who said they were so into this not being even able to give an RSVP to a meeting. I'm scared to even look into anything at this point for fear no one will show...and then I have people wondering why we aren't doing anything.

There are issues related to our college chapter too, and I don't know quite how to tell people to take 5 years ago and leave it there...I'm not saying forget things but it's hard to try and stay positive if people are going to be cranky all the time.

at this point, I don't even know how to go forward. I feel like I'm turning into Charlie Manson about the whole thing (albeit a cleaner, less homicidal Charlie Manson) and I don't want to...I want to just have someone else run the show because I'm beginning to feel this is really not my forte.

blaaagh.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Alum chapter stream of conciousness sorta vent

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
I'm not crazy about meeting at people's houses.
We meet in homes. I've been to three thus far and it seems to work well. We have about 30 dues paying members and about 20 or more seem to show up to each event. Two of the homes had small children and this didn't seem to be a problem. Often dad takes care of them. We also meet at 7pm so little kids are usually in bed. The hostess and co hostess supply munchies, wine, soft drinks etc.

I agree meeting in restuarants would get expensive quickly. Are there enough people to vote on the issue?
Old 02-21-2003, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to wiss22 Send a message via Yahoo to wiss22
well, if memory serves me correctly, you are just rebuilding as an alumnal association, right? i think it's going to take some time to build up your membership, and in turn get some reliable alumnae to help out. it may take a while but i think you're going to have to be extra patient. maybe you have a few reliable ones you can count on for now....

as far as meeting places, i would imagine that there are places you could work out an agreement with. if you're only meeting once a month, maybe there's a place that will allow you to meet for free, someplace that you might want to hold your Founders' Day celebration at as well. so it could be an exchange.

or you could ask your membership for ideas. maybe someone has a friend, sister, or relative in a position where a meeting space could be offered up... for example, one of my pledge sister's sister works at a hotel in the events department (or whatever fancy name it has). you never know who knows who until you ask.

just don't get discouraged. believe me, it's easy to do. you'll feel like you're banging your head upon the wall, but you have to remind yourself why you're so involved in the first place. you wouldn't have started the association back up if you didn't believe in it. just stick with it. it's going to pay off, i promise.

in the meantime, i have some ideas for you that you might be interested in... email me privately and we can discuss...

Last edited by wiss22; 02-21-2003 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-21-2003, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

We use people's houses. Generally, the older member's houses - they have the nice big ones - or the houses of younger members who don't quite have kids yet. The biggest distraction is the occasional husband wandering through. I agree though that is little kids are running around (and interrupting), that's a bad idea.

A restaurant is nice once in a while, but it gets expensive.

We tend to have a core group of people who serve on the board and regularly show up. Of course that group changes over time, but I know how hard it is to start a new core group - that's what we're trying to do in my college alum association. You have to bring in quite a few people, with the expectation that at most one in three will stick with it.
Old 02-21-2003, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

First, I'd stop calling them meetings. Our Exec board handles the business and the chapter does the fun things. I just gave up the Presidency of a brand new alumnae chapter after two terms (we're 4 years old) and we never got together for business meetings. No one would show up if we tried.

But, I would also advise you to ask the members what they want to do. Our AC has found that happy hours are VERY popular. We are having a "meet-n-greet" tomorrow at a local bar where we were able to get a room and there's no room charge we just have to spend a minimum amount. We are expecting 18-25 women which is our largest turnout for a non-Founders Day event.

I have a lot of other suggestions if you would like them. Feel free to PM me with your email address and I can give you lots of other ideas. A new chapter trying to get active is not too much different from a inactive one trying to become more active.

I know Gamma Phi has Int'l Officers who deal with new chapters and struggling ones, do you have something like that? Ours was very helpful when we were forming. I also found that other chapters can offer the best support and advice.
Old 02-21-2003, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to wiss22 Send a message via Yahoo to wiss22
Quote:
Originally posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
First, I'd stop calling them meetings. Our Exec board handles the business and the chapter does the fun things.
i think that's a terrific idea!
Old 02-21-2003, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
We meet at people's homes/condos too. And since we're in the "rebuilding" stage, we avoid using the word "meeting", because people tend to hear that and think "They're going to hit me up for money" or "They're going to hit me up to volunteer".

We're stressing the fun part of being an Alpha Phi, and then we're going to work on the business side of things.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

On the "meetings" piece, I like to focus on the question "Would I want to go to a meeting"? No, I wouldn't and I spent 4 years leading the group........

Meeting just sounds so boring and who wants to go to that?

We do have a number of things at people's houses (our holiday party) but most things are in public places.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
First, I'd stop calling them meetings. Our Exec board handles the business and the chapter does the fun things.
I agree..Exec and Committees should be separately to take care of business and use the rest of the event time for fun things.

I would suggest planning one event a month for the chapter (or less if that's too much) and really try to concentrate on events that are big draws for most women. Mix it up with philanthropy events and if there are problems with the collegiate chapter, limit your events with them to 1 or 2 a year, like Founder's Day and another event.

Things that are good:

Lunch &Learn with a speaker
Craft oriented event (pottery painting, scrapbooking)
Cooking demonstration
Investment/retirement planning
Women's health & safety issues

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Our Merry band of LXA in the K C Area from my Chapter only call them gatherings.

There is not formality about it at all! But, guess what, we talk about the things going on in the Chapter. We are Building a new House, well as soon as the Old Grande Dame if takei down.

It is eat if you want , drink, if you want, and tell stories and laff like hell at some of the things that are told! Laffing like tears streaming down cheeks.

But each time, there are some of the same there like me, and some new guys who show up!

We had it in a Bar/Eatery every 3 Tues. Bar Changed the format and have not been back since.

Formality, I do not know about, but most of the Guys go back to Functions such as Founders Day, Home coming,, mentoring sessions, House Corp. meetings.

Sometimes it gets to formal and people say screw this, this is like work, I dont need it! It needs to be fun, and informal. Just a bunch of guys and gals getting together to have fun, reminise, and actually end up talking about certain and important things!

Heck, we have some of the oldest to the newest Grads coming and each has his own story to tell and laff about. Then you sneak in serious stuff!

Well, just a thought!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-22-2003, 08:38 PM

I wish that my alumni group would get more active. I wouldn't be suprised if HQ closes it. Of course when/if it does, alumni will complain that they would have helped if they had known the chapter was in trouble. Gee, I would think if YOU (and a whole lot of others) never contacted THEM even though reminders were mailed out/phone calls were made, the group might be in trouble!

Our RAD (Reginal Alumni Director) hasn't been much help. Haven't seen any evidence that the RAD has been in our city for years.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Ours also are NOT meetings...

....we call ours events, gatherings or just what they are -- party, brunch, lunch, ornament exchange, crop-till-you-drop, etc...

...we always meet in others homes -- more comfy that way!,

...we meet roughly every other month; in between, we do alum panhel events and occasionally we do joint events with the metro Atlanta Gamma Phi chapter -- in April we are meeting with them to play bunco!

One free place you may want to check out that our Panhel group uses for the high school sorority info sessions is your local public library -- they may have meeting rooms you can use. Also, what about a local church or school?

Maybe you could barter music & song in exchange for a free gathering place?
Old 02-25-2003, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Ours are called events or programs

If you want to see what we do, check out this link:

http://www.geocities.com/deltagammaalumnae/EVENTS.html
Old 02-25-2003, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

i don't think it can be said too many times....don't use "meetings." i wrote this beautiful post the other day, and then my computer froze....so bear with me as i try to remember what i said.

we have some events at people's homes....and some out and about. if we are having an event at someone's home we meet on a sat or sun afternoon or early evening. this way, it is still light out and people can find the house....and it is more convenient for the hostess. there are other benefits too, like, people don't have to leave work early to get home, change and eat....and the hostess doesn't have to worry about making sure the house is clean on a wed night! it is also easier for dads to take the kids out to chucky cheese or the playground on the weekends. when we have an event mid-week, it is held at a bar/ restaurant, etc. people can come dressed from work and can get some food!

the other thing that my chapter does is encourages members to bring friends, kids, and significant others. there are 2 events which are "sisters-only," founder's day and formal business meeting. all of the others are open to everyone. we have some husbands who are just a part of the gang! one husband is a FABULOUS cook!!! this is pretty helpful to our membership. phi mus in the area who don't know current members might not come if they have to come alone. brining a spouse or another friend, makes it easier. it also makes people more active. we have a younger member who is recently married....in the we don't leave each other stage...who always brings her husband. we may never see her if he didn't come along. the whole purpose of the alum group is to socialize, so it is great to meet new people!

perhaps you can plan some events that allow for children, too. we don't have too many members with young children, but we do have a mom's club. the get together every other month and take the kids to the zoo or something like that. we also try to plan a "family oriented" event every year that allows all members to bring their families...kids and all! a bbq or a picnic at a local park are great ideas.

we also understand that sometimes the ladies just want a night out to themselves, so we have a ladies night out once per month. it is just for the ladies.....but again, non-phi mus are welcome to join us. we usually meet for happy hour.

my friend just recently became the president of her alum chapter
which is much smaller than mine. she is trying to plan activities that are realistic for her group. she knows that only one or 2 people will show up if they have an event every month! and the events that she would like to host have to take into account that there are only a few members....even if everyone shows up!!

why don't you send out a survey and ask what kinds of things will get people to come out? even send it to non-club memebers (if your budget allows). this will give you an idea of what interests people. you can also ask if people are willing to host at their homes and what (and when) would be best for them.

i think i got everything i said the other day...i hope it makes some sense....i had a long day at work!!

best of luck and keep us posted!
Old 02-26-2003, 10:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Do happy hours or lunches for "meetings". That's what we do! Either we have lunch/brunch on a Saturday morning/afternoon, or else we have a happy hour on a weeknight. You can go to Friday's and get cheap appetizers and drinks if you don't want to spend tons of money.