GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,587
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, taylrjnro4590
» Online Users: 1,483
0 members and 1,483 guests
No Members online

Old 06-01-2000, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Disrespect for Locals/New Organizations

I have a serious question. Why do larger national organizations have a tendency not to support local sororities or new organizations on their campuses? On many campuses, new organizations have a really tough time getting started, and a oftern dissed and called "fake greeks"! What's up with that and why the hate?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-01-2000, 09:39 AM
2 Cents

In SOME cases, the established groups feel threatened. They see the newer groups as competition in recruiting new members. This is especially so if the campus is small and the number of potential members is relatively small too.

In other cases, it is usually insecure individuals making noise. They have a strong need to put others down in order to feel better about themselves and the choices they made.
Old 06-01-2000, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
I would think there are two big reasons why:

#1- by the rules set forth by umbrella org (IFC, NPC, NPHC, etc), larger organizations cannot support a new organization because they are not part of their umbrella org. There are issues of risk management and insurance to consider. Barbara may be able to give a more adequate answer to this point, though.

#2- I've found (as a member of a local/new org) that those who are truly comfortable with their greek identity, those who truly embrace the ideals of their house, are ecstatic about any new greek on campus. Those who aren't, are not at all receptive to any new group.

I've had two rather interesting experiences to that effect. I was asked by a waitress at a restaurant close to campus, how come she hadn't seen me and my sisters at a major, recent greek event. I explained to her that we were as yet small, not organized enough to send a huge delgation. Plus, we weren't part of NPC, so we didn't feel we could participate. She was all smiles to know that another sorority existed on campus...her point of view was "So what if you're not a part of NPC, we need to be in {this effort} together! We need you guys!" Here was a novel concept: a sister of one of the biggest houses on campus, expressing that we were needed. I felt really welcomed to OU greekdom.

The other experience was not positive. I got stopped by a young lady wearing letters. She challenged me on my right to wear my own letters! Apparently, she had mistaken the letters as being her own (from a distance), and didn't recognize me. She halfway apologized for the mistake, and I thought the matter had ended. She then asked, which sorority I was a member of? I told her, and she said "Huh...never heard of it. It must be a new one." I replied in the affirmative. "Well, it's fake then. No *real* one has been established for a long time now. So don't pretend like you're something you're not." Well ladies, I know who I am, and what I stand for. I guess she doen't!

Old 06-04-2000, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Thumbs up

If you have read many of my other posts, you probably know that I attended a small school where Greek Life revolved around local GLO's! Which definately made for a unique greek experience for all of us there.

(The few nationals on campus were service an/or professional organizations, so their social involvement, especially with each other, wasn't their main priority typically).

I think most who have posted have basically said that the GLO's who are secure in their own house/numbers/etc. are supportive, while those that are insecure have tried to badmouth the locals. I would guess this is for a couple reasons:
  • Lack of understanding (often the biggest source of problems for any situation)-- they don't get why you would join a local over a national, in their eyes, the national is more prestigious, has better networking opportunities, a larger brother/sisterhood, etc. They don't get that you joined that particular chapter because it's where you want to be and fit the best.
  • They may feel threatened by you, particularly if you are a local who is looking to go national. Even if you intend to stay local, you're still all pulling from the same base of rushee's, so everyone's numbers will be affected by another chapter.
  • From my own experiences and observations, it seems like the 'big picture' is easier to lose for local groups. I think this is partially because there are naturally fewer alumni (and therefore "big brothers/sisters" to keep an eye on things). Also, there isn't a national philanthropy or project to keep them connected and focused with other groups, they are doing it all on their own. They have fewer resources, so there are fewer people pouring more energy into the events, etc. Also, because it's not national and there are fewer alumni, there isn't as strong of a sense of that life-long commitment, so some members are there mainly for the social life.

Obviously, every chapter, every school, every region, etc. is going to be different. I didn't "get" why anyone would want to belong to a local GLO until after I pledged my GLO (which is national, BTW). Then I started to see the brothers and sisters in action, and they work their butts off. They take all of the heat (unlike many nationals where responsibility is displaced on older members) for any unfortunate incidents. In my situation, locals are what kept the greek life going.

So I think the previous observations are pretty accurate:
If you belong to a chapter that knows what it's about and that it has a lot going for it, you can see a local GLO as just more brothers/sisters to help out (community service, etc.), party with, and share in your experiences.

If your chapter isn't so strong, you will naturally be threatened by a new (and improved, in some cases) group.

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Old 08-06-2000, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

I agree w/ what some have said already about established/national groups not being secure in their own group. I'm a part of a multicultural sorority and we have 5 chapters right now. When my sisters and I came out on campus (Nov 99), we got a lot of mixed reviews. Before we were members, we tried to get our name out beforehand to get an idea of what the responses would be. Most greeks (and when I say this, I mean the minority greeks) were very open to the idea. Some of the sororities were hating a little but that was expected. Our sisters at other chapters had really warned us about this, so it didn't come to a shock to us. But hey, I say they'll just have to get over it! We're here to stay! We're getting ready for Rush this Fall and we're going to have a fantastic time! So to all those in new orgs/locals, just let those haters hate. Do what you have to do in your org and don't worry about them!

------------------
A Radiant Lady of
Zeta Sigma Chi Multicultural Sorority, Inc.
http://www.umich.edu/~zchi
Old 09-23-2000, 06:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi, i was a member of a small national sorority on a campus with many large national sororities and now many small New and local multicultural sororities. THese new multicultral sororities do not like the national soririties because they say we are not supportive of them, well i can not speak for everyone but this is my take on the situation. see my campus is very "group" oriented, greeks only hang out with greeks and jocks only hang out with jocks, well this is also seen amoung nationalities (usually people that dont fall into the other groups). People like to just stay with like people, which is somewhat a basis of greek organizations but when it comes to forming new greeks chapters that are all either latino, african american,or asia this does draw people from the rush pool. see there will always be the same amount of white people joining the national sororities and fraternaties but when new organizations are formed that are for just latinos or asians then that is taking away the diversity frm the national sororities (or "white) houses. I personally dont like this. I was very proud of my house that we were fairly diverse, especailly for my campus in general, but when a group of latino women for a latino sorority then they do not want to join a national house, which takes away the diversity of those house. I know many people that dont want to join the national sorirites because they are not diverse enough, well when people start and only join lation groups or african or asian groups then the national houses are going to be less diverse so less desirable to new students of color. i dont hate new groups, but i just dont want people to continue to separate themselves, i want people to become diverse and accepting, but that is really hard when people form groups that are only for latios or asians or africans. If my campus has groups that were going to be welcoming to everyone, like multicultural groups then i think that would be better, but its just the idea that most of the new groups are taking away the diversity that could exsist in the national houses. I would love to have houses that are big and diverse, but on my campus the big houses are the "white" houses simply because the students of color want to separate themselves and i think that is what i dont like about new groups. I hope that this make sence, i beleive in diversity and do not mean to sound racist. but i do know that i can come across sounding like that. if someone would like to discuss this with me feel free to email me. thanks debbie
Old 09-26-2000, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Hi Debbie,
In my experience and observation, I have found that people gravitate(sp?) towards things that make them comfortable. Race is a factor, but not the only factor. You for example, are in a house that is majority "white". When you rushed,did you go in saying to your self "AAA house is mostly white and that's my main reason for joining it!" I doubt it. Maybe your reasons varied from "these people are really cool" to "wow, most of these people are the same major as I am!" or "this is a great org!" But at some point, you were comfortable with these people. For the other groups it's the same thing.
It's not so much that the new groups are forming just to be for latino/as only or asians only, but more so that they didnt feel comfortable for whatever reason when the went to the campus rush. Maybe the goals of the orgs didnt fit their needs. For example. alpha Kappa Delta Phi(no, that's not a typo) is a national Asian Amerian interest sorority. What that means is (I've had members tell me and it's on all of their websites)their org is NOT for asians only but if you are interested in the philanthropies that they support which are of interest to the Asian American communities then you are more than welcome to join. Yes, they have members that are not of asian decent, just as the Latina/o American, African American frats/ sororities do.
Something you need to understand is that the majority of "ethnic based orgs" are more community based as opposed to the IFC and NPC houses. We know that NPC and IFC also do philanthropic work but more as a side note. The ethnic orgs veiw being in a group a lifetime effort where the general feeling in most IFC and NPC groups is it's a college experience and that's it.

What's my point? I lost it somewhere after all my rambling , but here goes in a nutshell.
"White" glo's are seen as mainstream because "whites"(general term which includes different euro-ethnicities) have been the majority in this country for a number of years. Ethnic minorities have always been forced to compare themselves by the standards of whites (beauty, economically, whatever). Always wanting to "fit in", joining a sorority /fraternity seemed like the right thing to do.

Ok, I'm not finished making my point but I have to get off the computer so I'll post this and come back and finish it.

X girl
Old 01-31-2001, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Luckily, I'm on a campus where local fraternities and sororities outnumber nationals. In my experiences, especially here on campus, nationals get more scrutiny from the administration.

------------------
--A Member of Pi Phi Gamma, the sisterhood of F.A.D.
--http://www.piphigamma.homestead.com
Old 02-01-2001, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

In 1965, after being booted out of a National fraternity, I beleived in the Greek system and still wanted to be part of one, I started my on local. I designed everything since I was the only member before coming back to campus in the fall. As I rounded up people (guys kicked out of other fraternitys, we grew to to 25 members.

At the same time, there was a small national who was trying to come on campus. With the help of many greeks that I knew and some from the house I was kicked out of we got on campus. The school would only allow 1 new Greek Org. on campus at the time. When we had formal rush, we got NONE! We went out and recruted pledges.
With the help of the TKE advisor, contacted 2 major Fraternitys, and had visite by both. At the end of that school year we were colonized by Lambda Chi Alpha. We tried to help a new local Soro. get set up and did as the campus was short of Soroitys.
They had a chance to go with Phi Mu but did not. They are NO longer there.
We are celebrating our 35 th Anniv.
It is very hard to start a local and stay. Whether it be an IFC, NPC, or NPHC it is still hard to stick.
I admire anyone who does as rember, we are all Greeks. I have made friends from many different F / S and GLO" /BGLO". We all beleive in being Greek!!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Old 02-02-2001, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I am tired of other Greeks hearing about my organization's effort to bring a chapter of a National Asian-American Interest Sorority to our campus and assuming we were immediately rejected for membership by other sororities. Not one girl in our organization even TRIED to join any other organization. Most of us never would've considered going greek if this particular opportunity never came along. I feel like, "who are YOU to question my motives, my intentions, and my loyalties?" It's very frustrating.
Old 02-02-2001, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Quote:
Originally posted by Asia2000:
I am tired of other Greeks hearing about my organization's effort to bring a chapter of a National Asian-American Interest Sorority to our campus and assuming we were immediately rejected for membership by other sororities.
you too, Asia?
I have to wonder, with as many changes that have gone on in the span of time since the first fraternal organizations were founded here in the US, how can some (not all) people with affiliation in GLOs with history beleive that there isn't a need for GLOs that aspire to ideals and goals different from theirs? I think the emergence of LGLOs, AGLOs, MCGLOs (any ethnic GLOs, really) speak to that, as do sisterhoods such as my own, Sigma Alpha, AOE, Phi Sigma Rho, etc. The basic principles of a fraternal bond are common to all greek organizations - yet what our focus is, and why our Founders chose that focus, arises from a very specific need within the community.

Quote:
Not one girl in our organization even TRIED to join any other organization. Most of us never would've considered going greek if this particular opportunity never came along.
Amen!!

When my Chapter was founded, all of the Chapter Founders (except one) had never rushed, and had never considered greek life before.

As far as questioning new-GLO members' motives and intentions concerned, I beleieve a strong, positive public presence (through philanthropies and other positive works) is of paramount importance - that's the only way (besides being an initiate) for anyone to know who we are, what we're about, and why we chose to take the responsibilities of a bond.

As far as loyalties and identity is concerned...*shrug*...I wear my letters on my heart, and my bond is within my soul...no challenge, from any authority (or one who thinks they are) can take that away from me.

Keep your chin up, Asia! As long as you know who you are, there's no dispute.

------------------
Always
Seek
Knowledge

Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Old 02-02-2001, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi everyone...good points on all side.

I know as someone who was part of a local that later affiliated ith a national group some negative things came from ignorance. I will never forget when my boyfired and the time and his fraternity brother (they are Sig Ep's)said "what did your founder's just make up you initiation ritual"

And I replied "Ok dumbass what do you think YOUR founder's did? Just because it was 100 years ago does not make it anymore meaningful or inspiring"

LOL...ahh boys sometimes thelight is on but it is only a nightlight bulb!
Old 02-03-2001, 02:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coffeemug:
I will never forget when my boyfired and the time and his fraternity brother (they are Sig Ep's)said "what did your founder's just make up you initiation ritual" And I replied "Ok dumbass what do you think YOUR founder's did? Just because it was 100 years ago does not make it anymore meaningful or inspiring"
LOL!! Good Point!!

Old 02-15-2001, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

My sorority is alwasy looking for new members not only for us but for every other sorority and fraternity as well. We support anyone who wants to go greek, even if they are not joining our organization. We definitely don't want people to think that they joined the wrong organization so we try to help them make the right choice.

There was another local sorority on our campus that was failing and some girls from my sorority sat down with their president trying to come up with new ways to get some new membership. Their president finally gave up and wanted to join our sorority...now she is my little sister!!! I love her!!

I wish more people on campus could work together instead of working against each other.
Old 02-15-2001, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

As you may have read in a previous, We had our 35 th Anniversary of when I started the Local Fraternity which became LXA.

# 2 was our keynote speaker and one of the points he brought up was He joined with me because of the way I carried myself (Scarey) and that He had a part of making something grow.
It is hard to make it on your own, but we did! I am proud of what I did and what has come behind me as While I started it, IT took every Brother to be where we are.
We did things that today are considered immpossible, but here we are and damn proud to be here!!
There is always competition for people to join because of the size of the campus and the feeling about Geeks on campus. No One stops to think, the Greeks do more things on campus for the good than any other group fo people. We are organized to do not to sit on our hands!!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)