GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,596
Threads: 115,516
Welcome to our newest member, hannahyanexto75
» Online Users: 1,194
0 members and 1,194 guests
No Members online

Old 09-12-2006, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

LilLady's Fall rush 06'

Well, I moved over to this forum to share my rush story. I'm fairly new to all of this. Quick synopsis, I'm a transfer junior at a northern city school and today was opening day/kickoff for the panehel groups. I learned sooo much about sororities so I'll start at the beginning.

From the very kind RhoMu's that informed me, there are five groups (including one that is just colonizing-is that being too specific?) which I'll name after the Ramones: Joey, Johnny, DeeDee, Tommy, and C.J.

I have to say that I liked it. I wasn't sure of what was going to happen, the girls there, what it would be like, but it was all very warm and friendly with the rhomu's being very excited. They gave us the rundown of the next two weeks and how we have to attend more than one event by each group in order to be preferenced. Overall it was very, VERY relaxed. I was expecting it to be more formal and perhaps more people from having read GC forums but I liked that it wasn't hundreds of girls. In fact, I really like how they set everything up for us to be very casual and friendly.

Afterwards, I went to the one MGC sorority that I had talked to. I haven't quite decided what I will do since they have a different time period but I won't make up my mind just yet since tomorrow is when 'rush' really starts. Whew, that was long! So far, I'm excited and definetly glad I started the whole thing.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-12-2006, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Good luck and have fun with it . Just remember to follow your heart and go where you feel that you fit in the best, and not where everyone else is going.

I hope by the end that you'll let us know what school *I'm a sucker for a NE rush thread*

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 09-13-2006, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Getting excited

I keep reading all the fall rush stories, especially about the junior pnm's, and I get more and more excited. I hope I have the same happy ending.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I hope you have a great happy ending too! yay for PNMs from the northeast posting!
Kappa Alpha Theta "The Fraternity was always second in my mind to coeducation. It was organized to help the girls win out in their fight to stay in college on a man's campus. We had to make a place for women in a man's world, and the Fraternity was one means to that bigger end." -Bettie Locke Hamilton
Old 09-13-2006, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillady85 View Post
I keep reading all the fall rush stories, especially about the junior pnm's, and I get more and more excited. I hope I have the same happy ending.
Seriously, there are sooooooooo many girls rushing as juniors on here, I'm seriously beginning to think every junior girl going through rush in the U.S. this year is posting their story, hehe. And it helps to feed the addiction! Good luck to you!
Old 09-13-2006, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
I hope so also! I'm so looking foward to this starting.

When does the first round start?

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 09-13-2006, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
i rushed as a junior and got more invites back than some of the girls in my group who were freshman and soph's...so i guess it just goes to show that personality is more important that age good luck and i cant wait to see YOUR happy ending!
Old 09-13-2006, 08:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
I added you to this thread
Old 09-13-2006, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay for being a junior! Hope everything goes well for you
Old 09-14-2006, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

First official day of rush!

So, I don't know if I was supposed to move into the other thread but I figured I'd stay here since I already moved once and I don't want to intrude on the other girl's stories.

Back to the story,
Today was day one. Now because we are a city school in the north (we're actually not in the NE but I'll tell you after rush is over) we don't have rounds. Rather, rush is spread out over two weeks and you have to see each group twice. That way, you spend a little more time, don't talk to 100's of girls and it's a bit more chill, at least for us I think it works well. So today my group went to go see DeeDee, C.J and Tommy.

DeeDee- I really liked this group of girls because they all seemed very different and not what you would imagine at all. Each girl really stood out whether through personality, dress, enthusiasm, you name it. My group had some really nice girls including another transfer junior! They did emphasize that though they aren't a big group nationwide, they still have a strong alumnae network. I don't really know the pros and cons of having a strong national presence, to use another forums words, so I don't know why they kept mentioning it. The only bad thing was that they didn't have any ice breakers besides having everyone name a quirky thing about them so after awhile conversation kept going back to things like "these are our paddles" and etc. But I guess because it was the first part, it wasn't a big deal.

C.J- This was the last part for my group and I think this is where the people who are in sororities might be able to figure out where I go to school. But I want to comment on it anyway since it did make a good impression. Now, I knew that there was a new chapter colonizing at my school and I thought it sounded interesting to begin with. Even though none of the people there were college students, they were all national directors, regional directors, alumnae from other schools, I liked their presentation. Many of them had southern accents and when your own accent sounds something along the lines of "sassage and beer", it is very interesting to be immersed in Texan drawls and Tenneseean (sp?) lingo. for me, the main selling point was that the girls who joined this group would be the founding members and would have a lot of leadership roles and opportunities, which I really like. The only thing I wonder is there will be a lot of hand-holding instead of guiding but I guess I am no one to critique on that seeing as how I don't know anything about sororities. So really, I wonder how we would manage a chapter but I guess they have a great support system.

Finally, Tommy. Oh Tommy. I REALLY liked this group. They were all very sweet, pretty and outgoing girls. They had a great video to watch that I may not have gotten all the inside jokes but I did have a blast watching it. Plus, the girl whom I talked to, I'll refer to her as Q, really made me feel welcome. I'm not the most outgoing person as I can get kind of shy and I'm not the kind of girl to jump up and down and cheer especially if I'm not in a setting where I'm comfortable, but Q made me feel that that was ok and since everyone was nervous there was nothing to worry about. Overall, this group definetly seemed to be a lively, outgoing bunch.

Tomorrow is day 2 and we have two more to check out so I am keeping my eyes and mind open. I met some pnm's who were also like me and though we aren't bursting at the seams with excitement, we can all tell that we are happy to be going through this but in our own way. I hope that came out right because I sometimes fumble my words. Oooh..this was a long one! I'll tell you all about tomorrow after I get home!
Old 09-14-2006, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Glad to see that you had so much fun.

Hmmm your up north, but not in the NE? Intresting puzzle clue you threw out there LOL

About CJ, that is one of the great things about joining a colony: being able to be the founding mothers and being able to set tradations for the chapter. It might be a little more hard work, but the reward (as I've been told) pays off. Don't let it scare you.

With DeeDee, I don't know why that would have been brought up, except maybei n passing. Worry about the chapter, if you love the chapter, then don't let it affect your decisions.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 09-14-2006, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

If you want to PM me with any concerns about joining a colony and the wonderful experience it brings... you can!
Each day has enough trouble of its own!" ~Matthew 6:34
Old 09-14-2006, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Can I just say how excited I am to see a thread with code names from the Ramones? Oh, and good luck
Old 09-14-2006, 03:37 PM

Ditto on the Ramones code names! I'll admit, I think I know where you're going to school but will wait for your "big reveal" at the end.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck

Many good thoughts going your way. You are approaching recruitment in just the right way.