GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,587
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, taylrjnro4590
» Online Users: 1,332
3 members and 1,329 guests
flamboyanttree, zkaylgooglet196

Old 03-10-2006, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
house board problem

Hello all,
My sorority's problem is complicated, long and messy... i'll attempt to give a short summary but basically... I am looking for anyone that has experience with a local chapter house and/or board. If you serve on your board, fantastic, if not but you are active and are involved, great too

Essentially, our house was built for our sorority in 1928, and we are in danger of losing it because of housing costs but mostly our housing board is completely, utterly defunct. They are forcing us to close the house, but most of them are stepping down at the end of this semester. The active sisters have been blamed for not recruiting new members, but there are no position descriptions and nothing for us to go on, let alone our by-laws are absolutely rediculous. Also, many of our alumnae have disappeared because of the current board members and problems with them. I have also received information (after the fact) that they want to close the house with the intention of selling it, which was never a stipulation during conversations at our last board meeting. Also, the money situation and the handling of it is really... just... fishy... I think they are stealing money from us because some documents have been recovered about a money market account that had over 25,000 and in a year, there is only 1000 or so left. I should also mention that the current members we are having problems with are alumni.

the active sisters are recruiting members and trying to get board members (specifically a lawyer and an accountant) but there are just so many problems... I guess i'm looking for advice from someone who has been in a similar situation, or has any information regarding housing contracts and/or an incorporated board.

sigh.... i'm graduating this May, and some of you may remember me posting over these last few years about our situation. It's gotten better, but i'm chapter president, and i plan on serving on the board... but i'm just so discouraged... i feel like i haven't done anything over these last few years... if you have any information, I would appreciate it.
Thanks so much
~m.p.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry you're having those problems. I assume from your letters that you're a local so there's no national offcie to involve.
1. Go to the university general counsel and tell them you suspect fraud. The school may be willing to help, even though you have no evidence at this time.
2. You said they might sell the house. That suggests that they are incorporated. File a complaint with the state attorney, saying that you suspect fraud.
3. Have the undergrads retain an independent attorney (not an alum) to represent yor interests.

All of these things are designed to shake up the status quo and get straight answers. It is painful short term, but you'll get some satisfaction and may save your chapter.