GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,576
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, funcheeto
» Online Users: 1,852
0 members and 1,852 guests
No Members online

Old 07-04-2003, 03:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to AMelie03
Arrow will this hurt me?

ok and heres the other deal...I'm goingto be going out of state for college. I am currently a Texan, and will soon be going to Nebraska. I have an older friend who just graduated there (she was a AOPi), and she siad that since the university is made up of mostly students from nebraska, many of the girls going through rush already know and are friends of the girls in the house. I just was wondering if you think this is going to work against me, because since they already know all of the other girls and went to school with them then wouldn't they put them way above a girl they dont know...?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-04-2003, 03:31 PM

Thumbs up Paging Hootie....paging Hootie............

I hope that Hootie finds this thread and posts, since she is from Nebraska!
Old 07-04-2003, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Hi AMelie - welcome to Greek Chat. To answer your question, remember that a lot of girls will go through rush. Some will have friends already in different GLO (Greek Life Organizations), some will not. It is up to the entire chapter as to whether you are invited back or not (and it's up to you whether you WANT to go back or not), so one or two friends couldn't hurt, but it certainly will not hurt you.

Just like everyone said in your other thread...try to relax, be yourself, and have fun with the experience and you should do great - and MAKE friends along the way...which is a very important part of the rush experience.

I think going out of state and going through rush is a great idea and a great way to meet people. Take advantage of it!

Best of luck!
Old 07-04-2003, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: will this hurt me?

Quote:
Originally posted by AMelie03
ok and heres the other deal...I'm goingto be going out of state for college. I am currently a Texan, and will soon be going to Nebraska. I have an older friend who just graduated there (she was a AOPi), and she siad that since the university is made up of mostly students from nebraska, many of the girls going through rush already know and are friends of the girls in the house. I just was wondering if you think this is going to work against me, because since they already know all of the other girls and went to school with them then wouldn't they put them way above a girl they dont know...?
Hey hon, I know I posted this in the other thread, but like I said yea you will have a little bit of a disadvantage since you didn't go to high school with all these girls, and the majority of the girls going through rush know people in every house from their high school. That does NOT mean though that they'll be automatically bid or that you will automatically NOT get a bid anywhere. Just go through rush, be enthusiastic and open minded and I know you will find a great home! Have fun, that is the most important part!!! There are SO many great sororities at UNL to choose from too.

Also, I go to an out of state school with a HUGE rush but hey, I still got into the house that I wanted, so don't be too worried about it! I can't wait to hear about your rush experience (though I am a little teeny bit sad that it will be at UNL and not Mizzou! ). You can PM me if you want or if you have anymore questions, take care!
Old 07-05-2003, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Hootie-So, my opinion is this. Stand on your own. You have a little bit of an advantage in my opinion cuz no one knows you that well and can't say something completely negative about you because you went to high school with someone (hopefully you understand what I'm saying).

Boy is THIS a true statement!!! I certainly agree with this and I'm sure many others do too!
Old 07-05-2003, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kristi_ann81
I went through rush in my home state, but just so happens I only knew girls in one sorority there. I went through rush with an open mind and just acted like myself and didn't even end up in the sorority where I knew people. As a matter of fact, I ended up in the only sorority that I didn't have a rec for. I truly believe its because I acted like myself and was confident and I ended up where I belonged.
Old 07-05-2003, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Another thought to consider is that chapters want diversity. I know my chapter prides itself on having girls from ALL over the US (and even the world - yay Lyndsay from Scotland!!)...so if EVERYONE is from NB and you are from TX, that'll stand out and make you distinguishable from the masses....that's a very important thing in and of itself. Again best of luck...I'm getting antsy wanting a bunch of rush stories...
Old 07-05-2003, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmm, I wonder if I met you, either during a Red Letter Day tour, or the Arts & Sciences Admitted Students reception day...I know I had a couple girls that were from Texas during my tours througout the year.

As the one UNL student here, (well I guess sthpolrd is also one now too) first off Welcome!

I really don't think you will be at a disadvantage, in fact as someone who also came from out of state to UNL, I think it has many advantages! Like Hootie said, stand on your own. Use the fact that no one knows you as a chance to show the real you. Also use rush as an opportunity to get to know other girls, there are still guys I talk to that are in other houses who I first met at rush parties 2 summers ago...

Also realize that there is no period quite like the first month of college to meet people...you can totally just go and introduce yourself to practically anyone and strike up a conversation. Going Greek is a great conversation starter if you see someone in letters. (Thank god for those all Greek Dance shirts...I met so many girls b/c of those )

And as a Greek Ambassador, I can tell you that the odds of you getting your first choice in the UNL Greek system are really f-ing good! I've only met 1 (one!) girl who didn't get her first choice during rush, and even then she couldn't imagine being in that house now, she realized that she was meant to be where she ended up.

One last thing, you also have the advantage of not knowing anything about the houses, which will allow you to be way more objective about them than girls who know members in other houses. That's a major positive in my mind!

Anyways good luck, feel free to keep asking advice here on GC (so many of these girls love to help), and if there is anything I can do to help your adjustment at UNL, feel free to send me a personal message or just post on any of these threads.
Old 07-05-2003, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Give it a chance! Go for it! Just because you are out of state doesn't mean you are automatically denied a bid. I agree with Hootie when she said to stand on your own and you have an advantage over the other girls because you aren't well known to them and they can't say anything negative about you. Good luck!

The Trolls have taken over the Asylum!