GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,653
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, athanttsoz9809
» Online Users: 1,517
0 members and 1,517 guests
No Members online

Old 08-06-2010, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

A California Recruitment Story!

Hello! As you can probably tell from my thread title and username, I'll be rushing at a California university this fall. From the small amount of information that I've been able to gather about my school's recruitment, it seems as if it is relatively noncompetitive, with few girls having recommendations. Hopefully this will somewhat work in my favor, but I still intend to secure recs for most, if not all of the houses (I'm still debating whether to get recs for the houses that I know I have a snowball's chance in H*ll of getting into, but I figure it won't hurt). Recruitment doesn't start for another 6 weeks, so I'm getting extremely anxious to begin, but at least it will give me time to get everything together and choose attractive outfits and mentally prepare!

A little about me:
I'm not the first in my family to go to college, but I'm definitely the first to consider going Greek. There was a time when joining a sorority was "everything I was against" (typical teen angst ), but the more I grew up, the more Greek life seemed to interest me and seem like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I'm coming into my school as a junior transfer, which apparently is less of a disadvantage here than at other schools (I believe I heard somewhere that last year quota was 45 and 10-15 of the girls some sororities took were juniors), but I still realize that it could potentially count against me. The good thing, however, is that I'll be the same age as most of the freshman PNMs, so at least it'll help me relate more with my pledge class (if I get a bid, of course!)

I spent a good week scouring GreekRank and other equally disreputable sites before realizing it was all negative, depressing, trash talk and that little to none of it is accurate. I believe I'm going in with an open mind, and am actually following a "I'll be lucky if I'm good enough to get a bid at all" philosophy. Hopefully this mindset won't make me reek of desperation, but rather will help me stay open-minded to all of the wonderful groups on campus!

Anyway, enough with my novel. I have a couple of questions about potential outfits for each round (I haven't bought ANYTHING yet!), but I'll save those until later so that this doesn't become a 2-page post.

I was going to do an LA-themed recruitment, but after reading a disastrous thread with a similar them, I decided against it. So instead, I chose to use car brands to represent each group (Sadly, I don't own any of these, or even drive for that matter! )

The 12 groups on campus are:
BMW
Lexus
Honda
Infiniti
Mazda
Audi
Bentley
Nissan
Lincoln
Toyota
Ford
Buick

It's probably painfully easy to figure out where I go to school, so I'll most likely reveal it at the end, and delay my posts by a day. I'm not planning to say anything mean or negative, so it shouldn't be a problem!

Last edited by SoCalVeg; 08-06-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-06-2010, 04:03 AM
GreekChat Member

good luck (:

Are you coming in as a junior because you have AP/IB transfer credits from HS or because you entered college/a community college early?
Old 08-06-2010, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Good Luck!!
Old 08-06-2010, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

best of luck
Old 08-06-2010, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Girl, get you some shoes and get them broken in - NOW!

and good luck, love SoCal stories.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-06-2010, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Definitely a Toyota ending.

I am attending school in the Southwest area myself! I didn't get into a particularly prestigious college out here that I had my heart set on, so I'm going to try to find my home at the school I DID get into instead. Your story/situation sounds really interesting! I'm excited to read it.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettygirlie View Post
good luck (:

Are you coming in as a junior because you have AP/IB transfer credits from HS or because you entered college/a community college early?

I'm coming in as a junior because I went to community college early.

Yeah, I'm probably going to do a good amount of shopping around mid-August, so hopefully that will give me plenty of time to break in any heels I buy!

Thanks everyone for the support!

Last edited by SoCalVeg; 08-06-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalVeg View Post
it seems as if it is relatively noncompetitive, with few girls having recommendations. Hopefully this will somewhat work in my favor, but I still intend to secure recs for most, if not all of the houses (I'm still debating whether to get recs for the houses that I know I have a snowball's chance in H*ll of getting into, but I figure it won't hurt).
Getting recs is smart, even if few girls have them. And even though you think you have a snowball's chance at certain houses, you may be exactly the kind of sister they want, so get recs for those houses too!

Good luck and have fun! I'm excited to read a California story.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myopicsunflower View Post
Getting recs is smart, even if few girls have them. And even though you think you have a snowball's chance at certain houses, you may be exactly the kind of sister they want, so get recs for those houses too!

Good luck and have fun! I'm excited to read a California story.
Thank you, that's a good point. Maybe it will be worth it to get recs for those houses as well, just to see what happens!
Old 08-06-2010, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Welcome SoCalVeg! I'm also looking forward to reading your California recruitment thread. Best wishes for a successful conclusion!

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 08-10-2010, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you, navane! [:
Old 08-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Good Luck and GO BMW!
Old 08-23-2010, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

So I actually have a couple of questions about what to wear, and I was wondering if anyone could help me!

The first problem is, my school's recruitment website tells us to wear something along the lines of "an evening sundress" for one of the rounds. I'm sorry if I'm missing something, but what exactly would be an evening sundress? Can anyone please explain this to me?

My second issue is actually the opposite: Our pref round is early in the day (before 2 pm), yet it tells us to wear a cocktail dress. So will I look strange wearing iike, a dark or strapless cocktail dress with heels in the middle of the day? I mean, I know the other PNMs will be wearing almost the same things, but is there away to pull the cocktail dress look off during the day?

Thanks to anyone who can help me answer these questions!
Old 08-23-2010, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I love the oxymoron of evening sundress. I can't actually answer that one, but my guess would be a sundress that's at the fancier end of the spectrum.

I believe the guideline to use for a day preference party is the same as you'd wear to a day wedding, maybe fancy but in a lighter/brighter color.

Best of luck. I'm just sorry my sorority isn't represented on your campus.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

So, I'm assuming that this is a UC campus. I can tell you from three of my daughter's friends who rushed at different UC campuses their recruitment guides are like limburger cheese...they stink. One friend wore cutoffs and flipflops to the first round because the book said they could/should. Don't. During the day wear something weather appropriate, sundress etc. Pref advice ^^^ excellent. Nice outfit, with heels, that you might wear to an afternoon wedding. Leave the glitz at home and bring (and I know you will) the class with you.

Good luck!