GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,612
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, sydnemaarleyz20
» Online Users: 2,383
3 members and 2,380 guests
ChioLu, Cookiez17, MethrenLusia

Old 07-22-2004, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to _Opi_
October LSATs

Anyone taking it ?

If so, how are you preparing for it?

I heard from a friend who heard from 2 attorneys that the Kaplan/Princeton classes are not worth it, and that she was better off using the booklets, prep tests and CDs to practice. Is this true ?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-22-2004, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey,
I took the LSATs a while back (I'm studying for the bar now). I did the Princeton Review before I took it and I liked it very much. My score was high to begin with but it did help me raise it to my goal. They explained how to answer the "games" sections, which most people find the hardest. I think you get more benefit if you take the in person course and you have an actual person to talk to if you get stressed out, don't understand something, or have concerns.
The truth is you probably can do just as well or almost as well with the PR or Kaplan books, etc. But going to the class forces you to do the drills and stuff. I personally probably wouldn't have had the discipline.
Also, a lot of doing well on the LSATs is mental. Law schools are picky and they do not just take your highest LSAT score (like colleges do with the SATs). If you do poorly, you don't get an automatic "do over." (Most law schools, particularly the more selective ones, average your LSAT scores together if you take it more than once) That can be kind of nerve-racking. When I actually went to take it, I opened up the test book and for a second I was freaked out. But then, I was like "Hey! I just did every LSAT for the last 10 years in Princeton Review. I can handle this." That feeling, for me, was worth the financial sacrifices I had to make to afford the course.
I would take a practice test and see how you do. Compare your score to the admissions numbers of the schools you are looking at and then decide.
Good Luck
Old 07-22-2004, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I am! I am!

I gave in and shelled out the $$$ for a Kaplan course. Tuesday was the first day of the class -- we took the test. I've been bombarding their site all day yesterday and so far today anxiously waiting for my "score" to appear.

Anyways, I think ktsnake also took a Kaplan course - he might be able to answer your questions.

Good luck! To what schools will you be applying?
Old 07-22-2004, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

^ Well there is 9 weeks left till the LSAT and I just don't feel like paying over $1000 for a course, when people are telling me I can just practice the test. But I'm still seriously considering a kaplan tutor, or something.

I'm applying to Wayne State, American U, Rudgers (both campuses), seton hall, GW, and maybe UVA ...I'm going to apply to 10 schools though, so I don't know the rest.

What about you ?
Old 07-22-2004, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh Lord! Where do I start?! I will definitely be applying to GW, George Mason, Northeastern, UNC, FSU, UF, Stetson, UGA, GA State, Wake and perhaps Indiana (both locations). The problem is that whereever I go will have to be someplace my husband can get a job. He could find a job more easily in DC or Atlanta than in Gainesville or Tallahassee. I'm really wanting to go to school in Florida though, 'cause that's where I'm from and I'm ready to move back. Stetson has been my dream since high school. So that's my top choice.

I actually had looked at American and Seton Hall...but still haven't decided if I'm going to apply there yet. Penn State is another one I've thought about. I have a few other schools I've looked at but haven't fully decided yet.

Can you tell I'm a bit undecided about where I want to go? I think generally I'm going to try to stay in the South....although at times I feel like I need to get out of the South!
Old 07-22-2004, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AXiD670

Can you tell I'm a bit undecided about where I want to go?
lol, me too! Everyday I question if I should go to law school now or wait a year. But like they say, time is money. But Good luck

AphiRG,

The first time you took the exam, how did you prepare for it ?
Old 07-22-2004, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm retaking - my first score was in the 80th percentile but it needs to be higher for where I want to go. I panicked a little at the test and I think that's what hurt me.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

GP, to what schools are you applying?

Opi, I've been out of school for 2 years now. I told myself I would not take more than 3 years off before going back to school, so I've reached my limit. And boy am I ready! My office manager wanted to go to law school and had anticipated attending starting this upcoming school year...last year when she applied she only applied to USC b/c that's the only school w/in driving distance of Charlotte (she has 2 small children so she and her husband can't just up and move). She did not get in. Watching her go through the process helped a bit, and it also made me very anxious to get started. She hasn't talked about re-applying to USC...I think she's going to wait to see how this law school here in Charlotte is progressing. But I feel like she had her chance, now it's my turn!
Old 07-22-2004, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
GP, to what schools are you applying?
Catholic, U St. Thomas, and DePaul are my top 3.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
Catholic, U St. Thomas, and DePaul are my top 3.
I was at one point considering DePaul. But my husband vetoed it. "Chicago is about as far west as I'm willing to go, but I really don't want to live there."

Anyways, good luck raising your LSAT score!
Old 07-22-2004, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I was at one point considering DePaul. But my husband vetoed it. "Chicago is about as far west as I'm willing to go, but I really don't want to live there."

Anyways, good luck raising your LSAT score!
Thanks. I'm confident I can get it up at least 10 points which will get me in with $$$ at most of my schools.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I took Kaplan and am a big advocate. Before deciding on Kaplan I went and sat in on sessions at Princeton Review, Kaplan and Test Masters (which is an LA think I think). My score went up 5 points between the original diagnostic and what I got on my actual exam. That's a lot of percentile points. My ex-boyfriend who was in the class with me went from a 147 to a 163.

My younger sister is going to be a senior in college this year and is taking Kaplan right now. She has also been very happy with Kaplan.

Just as an FYI, different schools use different practices with multiple LSAT scores. Most schools have an index that they create for each person based on GPA & LSAT that gives them a rough estimate of how you will do at their law school. On most campuses the top group of numbers are accepted automatically, the bottom are rejected automatically and the middle go to committee. Once you are in committee the committee members who review your file look at the index, but they use all of the information contained in your file to make decisions. That is why it is particularly important to write addendums explaining any problems with your LSAT scores or GPA.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

All the index formulas are somewhere out there in Internet land as well - I can hunt them down if somebody really wants.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
Thanks. I'm confident I can get it up at least 10 points which will get me in with $$$ at most of my schools.
None of the schools you are applying to average your LSAT scores do they? If you don't know, you might want to find out.....ow ow!
Old 07-22-2004, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by damasa
None of the schools you are applying to average your LSAT scores do they? If you don't know, you might want to find out.....ow ow!

Some do but if I even do like 5 points better it'll bump me up enough - my score is high enough that every point improvement is good.