GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,565
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, arbertosusasd45
» Online Users: 1,842
1 members and 1,841 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 09-18-2003, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck and keep looking to the stars!
Old 09-18-2003, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

This is so exciting! Sounds like you are having a super time. I guess it is because the campus is so huge, but I didn't realize how many groups there were. I don't see a lot of letters around UMass. I'm glad you are meeting some great girls.

Enjoy yourself!

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 09-18-2003, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Erica-
Yeah, greek life really isn't represented much, it seems. Even during the past few days, when everyone wore their letters, I didn't spot too many girls. I guess with 8 houses of between 30 and 60 girls (none seem to be at total), it's not a whole ton compared to the 18,000 undergrads in total here.

I picked up my invites and was invited back to all 8 houses. I decided to release (with regrets... cause it can't hurt) Little Bear and Orion. I don't know the order or whatnot for tonight, but I'll be going back to see the other six groups and do house tours. I'm still very excited about Pegasus, Aquarius, and Calypso, and I'm hoping to learn more about Nova and give their house another shot.

That's that! We meet at 4:30 and don't stop until 10:45! Long night, guess I won't be going out partying .
Old 09-18-2003, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations!!! It must feel great to have ALL of the groups to choose from. Way to go!

I must say that I did spot a lot of those Go Greek T-shirts. Cute idea. Maybe letter shirts just aren't all that popular here. And you're right...anyone can blend in with 18,000 students.

'Til 10:45???? I hope you have comfy shoes.

Erica
Old 09-19-2003, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Back from one LONG day! I can't believe I just spent six whole hours going from house to house... oy vey!

So tonight was house tours (where applicable). I'm going to try not to say much about the houses themselves because I don't want to give anything away.

I started with Aquarius, where I spoke to two girls. They were both very nice, but things didn't click with them. I wish I had a chance to speak the girl from the first night again! Since she made such a good impression on me, I'm definately going to return here for a third night if possible, because I'm sure there are lots of other great girls there that I've yet to meet!

Next was Cepheus. I was hoping to find a spark here since I didn't the first night, but it didn't happen. I was led on a house tour by the president, who was a nice girl, but her personality definately didn't mesh with mine. It was the only house that I went to where I couldn't wait for it to end! It's a shame when that happens, but at least I'm able to narrow things down.

Pegasus was third. I liked them a lot the first night, and they were still pretty cool, but I think the great impression I had the first night had more to do with them being the first group, and both the house and the PNMs having the most energy of the night. I spoke to a lot of nice girls, but I can't really see myself there anymore. They're a lot more of the go out and party type, and while I don't mind that at all, it's not my thing for every weekend.

Next I visited Lyra. I spoke to an awesome girl here! I'm very interested in philanthrophy, and she happens to be the philanthropy chair, so we were both excited to discuss her ideas. I also told her how I was looking for leadership opportunities, and how I'd like to see the school's image of greek life improve and I'd like to do something about it. She seemed really into our conversation! It was nice, because I spoke to her and another girl from her pledge class, and they're both my age. We watched a slide show with photos of their girls. Everyone seemed absolutely down to earth. They're also the house with the highest GPA (ok, that's a giveaway for anyone in the system I suppose), and that's very important to me. I'm excited to go back there too! Oh, and I was hungry, and as this girl handed me a little paper cone full of popcorn, I guess I shot my hand out too quickly and knocked a ton of it all over the place! Oh well, I think I made up for it in conversation.

Nova was my next house. As I said before, I was a bit turned off by a conversation at this house yesterday, but today I became more excited to take another look. I spoke to a really nice girl there as we took a tour. I really like their house and could see myself living there, which is amazing considering I'm not very into the idea of living in a house. The girls there had so many different looks to them; some were dressed preppyish, others had hemp necklaces and Phish posters in their room (good sign to me!) I feel like a lot of different kinds of girls live here, and I'd have a better time finding girls I really get along with.

My last house was Calypso. I got to speak again with one of the girls from last night, which was awesome because it reaffirmed that they're cool girls. The one I really clicked with last night said hi to me as well, which felt great. I spoke to a few more exciting girls there (and one who was... a bit vapid, to put it nicely). I'd really like to meet a few more girls here.

My goal really is to meet at least four girls at each house who I feel I really connect with. So far I've felt that with one or two girls at most of the houses I've been to. I just want to make extra sure that I'm getting into something good, you know?

I don't even know how I'd rank them! I'd say Aquarius, Lyra, and Calypso are pretty high at top, then Nova not far behind. I plan on dropping Pegasus and Cepheus tomorrow if I have the chance.

Tomorrow night is skit night, and many of the girls have said it's one of those nights that will really make certain houses stand out. I really hope so!! I'm really interested in so many of them, and I need a big fat SIGN of who's the one!!

Wish me luck and clarity of mind!
Old 09-19-2003, 01:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to butterfly2001nc
Good luck!!!!
Old 09-19-2003, 07:17 AM
GreekChat Member

your good attitude will take you a long way. all the best. have a blast.
Old 09-19-2003, 08:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Fantastic! Sounds like a lot of fun

Erica
Old 09-19-2003, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I picked up my invites this morning, and was invited back to all those from yesterday, plus Little Bear again. I dropped them again, as well as Pegasus and Cepheus. I'll be going to Aquarius, Lyra, Nova and Calypso tonight, though I don't know in what order.

Upon request, I've decided to tell you which houses I've dropped though I won't tell which was which. I have released Kappa, Chi-O, AXO, and DZ. That means I'm left with AEPhi, SDT, SK and the local, Iota Gamma Upsilon. So that's exciting news for GCers from those two as-yet unrepresented groups!

Next round starts at 4:15, after a stupendous afternoon full of bio and chem... yay to that!
Old 09-19-2003, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I think this is my first time posting on your thread...so good luck, and congratulations on a successful rush so far. Enjoy! LM

Be a Volunteer!
Old 09-19-2003, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
I think I might have an idea who Lyra is !!!
Yay! SDT is still left! Maybe we will finally have the chance to have a GC SDT NM!

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 09-19-2003, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Way to go!! Good luck tonight!! Just think of it as a brain break after all that science (I sure could use one right now!)!
Old 09-19-2003, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
oooh more groups for us!

Good luck tonight! Enjoy!
Old 09-19-2003, 05:43 PM

Hope you're having a blast!
Old 09-19-2003, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

enjoy...enjoy it all.
and see what develops.