GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,566
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, maximujnra3388
» Online Users: 2,230
0 members and 2,230 guests
No Members online

Old 07-28-2003, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

My recruitment thread!

Yeah, its my rush thread. I'm rushing at Penn State, home to 20 NPC sororities, 8 NPHC fraternities and sororities, 50+ IFC fraternities, 4 of the NAFLO sororities and fraternities, 2 Asian-interest sororities, 2 Asian-interest fraternities, an Indian fraternity,a Multi-cultural fraternity.... the only thing we dont have is Theta Nu Xi and Iota Phi Theta

Anyway, this fall I will be going through Formal Rush with these sororities:

1. Alpha Chi Omega
2. Alpha Delta Pi
3. Alpha Omicron Pi
4. Alpha Phi
5. Alpha Sigma Alpha
6. Alpha Xi Delta
7. Chi Omega
8. Delta Gamma
9. Delta Delta Delta
10. Delta Zeta
11. Gamma Phi Beta
12. Kappa Alpha Theta
13. Kappa Delta
14. Kappa Kappa Gamma
15. Phi Mu
16. Pi Beta Phi
17. Sigma Delta Tau
18. Sigma Kappa
19. Sigma Sigma Sigma
20. Zeta Tau Alpha

I promise to have the blandest thread ever because keeping 20 sororities names and events straight in my mind is going to be hard.

Anyway, right now I'm still thinking about the pros and cons about going through rush. I'm a very committed Christian and I don't want to join something that may distract me from my relationship with the Lord. I've read different articles and I feel that I can go greek with no problems but I don't want to put myself in temptation. So I'm like 85% sure I'll rush.

Last edited by blueGBI; 01-14-2004 at 08:58 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-28-2003, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
BlueGBI,

I understand your hesitation about recruitment, but I'd suggest that you go for it. Most sororities were founded on Judeo/Christian principles, so their structure shouldn't interfere with your commitment to your faith. Penn State sororities are decently sized-- the Kappa chapter alone has 70 members-- and I'm sure that you'd be able to find at least one Christian sister in each chapter. You won't be alone if you choose not to go out drinking or be a party girl. Furthermore, Penn, like most campuses, has active student fellowship groups, and you can become involved in those while still being an active member of your sorority. My bet is that joining a sorority will give you new opportunities to strengthen and share your faith.

You seem like a pretty solid girl, and my hunch is that you'll be able to find a good home in the Greek system at Penn State. Good luck and keep us posted.

PS: I'd suggest just keeping the above numbers to refer to sororities in your rush thread. That way we'll all have an easy reference at the top.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Not a Mezzo
Holy moly...Greek life at Penn State is huge!!! Especially compared to UNC Greensboro, which is pretty small compared to its southern neighbors.

Anyway...I think you'll find that a lot of sororities are based on Christian ideals. In our creed, our duty to God is mentioned twice. We also have some very religious sisters who further explore their faith through Greek bible studies.

Then, too, that's not to say that everyone is extremely Christian, either...we have a sister who is Jewish, as well as several who are what would probably classify as "open-minded."

However, the religious issue isn't really an issue...we all just do what we can to respect each other's spirituality. Some even grow more deeply spiritual as a result of joining the sorority.

That was a little bit of a ramble...I just wanted to say that being in a sorority, at least in my experience, doesn't have an adverse effect on your religion. In some cases, being in a sorority can help strengthen it. So don't worry too much about religion keeping you from enjoying Greek life...as important as it is to you, you'll find somewhere you can feel comfortable. Good luck!!!
Old 07-28-2003, 01:09 PM

You seem like such a nice young woman! I am sure you will find a place you love among the 20 sororities at PSU. Enjoy!
Old 07-28-2003, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

I was an independent for 2 years and then pledged. Greek life didn't tempt me to do anything wrong any more than non-Greek life did.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck - I PMd you!
Old 07-28-2003, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: hot, humid houston . . .how's that for alliteration?
blueGBI i pm'd you

One Heart One Way. . .
Old 07-28-2003, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SparkliiQTMTSU Send a message via Yahoo to SparkliiQTMTSU
WOW!! now thats alot of sororities! I would get all sorts of confused I think anyways I am wishing you the best of luck in recruitment Have a great time!!!!

Nichole
Old 07-28-2003, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Best of luck Blue! This is going to be a whopping thread...how in the world are we going to keep things straight? You are going to have so much writting to do!! Best of luck! You'll have so much fun!
Old 07-28-2003, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

absolutely do it. perhaps you can help others in their walk of faith?
Old 07-29-2003, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Many chapters have prayer groups or Bible studies that are an option for interested sisters. If you find a chapter that you love that doesn't have some kind of group like this, take the initiative and start a weekly or monthly group among your new sisters.

If you stay firm on the Rock, nothing can tempt you!

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 07-29-2003, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

I'm becoming more comfortable with being a Christian and being in a sorority. Thanks for all of the replies!
Old 07-31-2003, 03:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
I haven't read thru the whole thread yet...but sistah, I am pulling for you!

Will read it when my DSL gets set up in our new home (I am logging on from the library)

I thought the Greek life at U of Washington was big but DAYUMN!
Old 07-31-2003, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
I have to wish you the best of luck and hope that you do atleast experience recruitment. Also, I am not the most religious person, but many of my sisters are. What I found was that they controlled their actions well and portrayed a wonderful human character. More often then not though they had to prove to others that the sorority did not lead them astray. One of those sisters was actually chapter president also and at the same time involved in Young Life.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

WOW! There are so many stellar organizations at your school! Best of luck with recruitment! I really hope you find a place you can call home!!!

Like Not A Mezzo mentioned, "the religious issue isn't really an issue...we all just do what we can to respect each other's spirituality. Some even grow more deeply spiritual as a result of joining the sorority."

^^ I definately agree!