GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,568
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, Weaponxcq
» Online Users: 2,220
0 members and 2,220 guests
No Members online

Old 06-21-2003, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cluey Send a message via Yahoo to Cluey
Thanks for responding, kdonline!

I've really tried to give her a realistic look into what rushing at UF as a sophomore would be like, but I don't think I have changed her mind. She's a little bit younger than most freshmen, so that may be influencing her decision a little bit. Also, she has aspirations of medical school, so she wants to have the best grades possible.

I have no doubt that if she does decide to rush as a sophomore, that she will have a stellar GPA. She's a very bright young lady with a great personality, who would be an asset to any chapter. She did mention that she did have some family connections to a couple sororities, so that's at least in her favor.

I just wish I could help her more, but UF doesn't have a Gamma Phi Beta chapter
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-22-2003, 03:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
As long as being a junior isnt going to be a quick turn off then just be yourself....Tell them about your leadership skills already (I dont know any chapter that isnt looking for a great leader)...But if you just try to be yourself a chapter will see that and be excited to take you...

Quote:
Originally posted by pixell
I'm considering going through rush next year. I have friends in a few houses, and they make it sound so awesome. The big problem is that I'm a junior. I'd never really thought about sororities until last year, because I hadn't really known any greek girls and I believed the stereotypes I guess (big mistake...some of the nicest people I've met in college are greek)
I'm just really worried I won't "measure up" or whatever.

Oh...I forgot to mention...my school's not a big-greek school, so I talked to a few people and they said the junior-thing won't hurt me too much

Last edited by nauadpi; 06-22-2003 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

grrrr!

...wish things could be different but what would y'all say to a girl who will be a senior in college -- not one with a huge rush system like UGA or USC etc -- who said she would not even consider rushing due to her being a senior -- she is cute and has great grades and activities...and would be an asset to any sorority house...what a shame to have her miss this opportunity and "just" go for AI (don't get on me for that statement -- everyone knows I am almost as a big a fan of AI as Cutie Pie!!)

Don't y'all think that seniors should be free NPC-wide!
Old 06-26-2003, 11:26 AM

Re: grrrr!

Quote:
Originally posted by GPhiBLtColonel
...wish things could be different but what would y'all say to a girl who will be a senior in college -- not one with a huge rush system like UGA or USC etc -- who said she would not even consider rushing due to her being a senior -- she is cute and has great grades and activities...and would be an asset to any sorority house...what a shame to have her miss this opportunity and "just" go for AI (don't get on me for that statement -- everyone knows I am almost as a big a fan of AI as Cutie Pie!!)

Tell her that she may have only one year of being active as an undergrad...but she has a lifetime to be involved...and if she is going to live near her alma mater once she gets out, she may end up being as "active" as far as having fun with the sisters as some of the girls who are actually in college. That's what my little did.

I don't think the "free" thing should apply at all schools, since some chapters that struggle to make quota would be hurt by it. It should only apply to large systems with large rates of return.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: grrrr!

Quote:
Originally posted by GPhiBLtColonel
I agree. I think that juniors and seniors should be free to chapters who aren't exceeding total. And some schools, where sophmore rushing is tough, should think about that as well.
Old 06-26-2003, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I rushed my second semester of college in the spring. One of my pledge brothers was a junior at the time. A guy in the pledge class before me was a junior when he rushed. Its not very often that anyone older than maybe a first semester sophomore will rush. But if anyone really wants to try and pledge a fraternity or sorority its not like you have to do anything more in rush except go and hang out with the people and see if it is for you or not.
Old 06-26-2003, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KappaSigRay
I rushed my second semester of college in the spring. One of my pledge brothers was a junior at the time. A guy in the pledge class before me was a junior when he rushed. Its not very often that anyone older than maybe a first semester sophomore will rush. But if anyone really wants to try and pledge a fraternity or sorority its not like you have to do anything more in rush except go and hang out with the people and see if it is for you or not.
For sororities, the system is gernally a lot different - most schools don't put men through such a competitive structured rush. GPBoy signed with SigEp the last week of his 4th year of school - he was active for a year, and never even got to finish going alum.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cluey
Thanks for responding, kdonline!

I've really tried to give her a realistic look into what rushing at UF as a sophomore would be like, but I don't think I have changed her mind. She's a little bit younger than most freshmen, so that may be influencing her decision a little bit. Also, she has aspirations of medical school, so she wants to have the best grades possible.
Sorority girls can go to medical school!

A KD from the UF chapter just finished her 2nd year @ the Univ. of Miami medical school. (Some of you all might know her as Miss Florida USA 2003)
Old 06-26-2003, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cluey Send a message via Yahoo to Cluey
Quote:
Originally posted by kdonline
Sorority girls can go to medical school!
Yes they can! I believe her mother did just that when she was in college. Her parents are just worried about her adjusting to college with her age, not to mention the pressure of good grades to get into medical school.

I think her parents are playing a big role in this decision, so I've kind of backed off. She's such a sweet girl, though. I just don't want to see her get her feelings hurt.
Old 07-12-2003, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to absolutuscchick
Ok, so I am just transferring to ASU this semester and I have 55 credits, leaving me one credit short of being a junior. However, I am going to be in school for three years more for sure! Am I still considered a sophomore?
This is basically more on my situation: http://forums.greekchat.com/gcforums...threadid=35239

Last edited by absolutuscchick; 07-12-2003 at 02:21 AM.
Old 07-12-2003, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by absolutuscchick
Ok, so I am just transferring to ASU this semester and I have 55 credits, leaving me one credit short of being a junior. However, I am going to be in school for three years more for sure! Am I still considered a sophomore?
This is basically more on my situation: http://forums.greekchat.com/gcforums...threadid=35239
I would say yes, because I am also a few credits shy of being a Junior, and believe me, my school stills considers me a Sophomore. So I would say you are a sophomore!
Old 07-13-2003, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

BUMP!

(because questions are being asked in Rush thread about this topic again....)
Old 07-14-2003, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I know a lot of chapters at UGA automatically cut sophomores, juniors, and seniors(i've never heard of one going through) if they're not legacies. Most chapters here will only take non-freshman here if they are OUTSTANDING bc of the competitive nature of recruitment to begin with. That's not to say that chapters don't take them. We had 8 sophomores out of 60 girls in our new member class in 2002. They are usually good friends with numerous sophomore members, have excellent GPAs, very involved on campus, and REALLY want us as well.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Bumping this thread because rush is starting soon....I wish sophs and esp juniors weren't seen as such pariahs when they rush at some schools....

I also wonder if those who have read/posted on the thread about resignation etiquette might have an opinion of the likelihood of juniors to deactivate/resign vs freshman pledges....seems like those who rush as juniors know what they want and what they are getting onto and are less likely to quit.....comments anyone?
Old 08-12-2003, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree, GPhiBLtColonel. If sisterhood is supposed to be for a lifetime, then nonfreshmen should be considered on par with freshmen. There is no guarantee that all freshmen will be around for 4 years, but the odds are better and I understand that. I would much rather find the best members/representatives/future supporters of my GLO, whatever their year, than just look at freshmen.

I guess it boils down to numbers. When a PNM is expected to be around for only 2 years as opposed to 4, then your GLO will graduate more members sooner . . . unless you replace the ones graduating with nonfreshmen!