GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,612
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, sydnemaarleyz20
» Online Users: 1,247
1 members and 1,246 guests
Mooch279

Old 03-27-2000, 04:28 PM
Purple Princess

Question Lil Bro Lil Sis Orgs

Are any of you in Lil Bro/ Lil Sis Orgs (ex. Kappa Sweethearts, Delta Gents, MIAKA, Iota Pearls ect)? If you are, why did you join? If you are not, how do you feel about them? I understand there is a rivalry between frats and sorors and the lil bro/lil sis orgs they feel are trying to imitate them. I just want to know where this dislike and disrespect stems from. Any comments?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-27-2000, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
I generally tend not to have any problem with Lil Sister/Brother organizations. I was on a campus where we didn't have any so it wasn't something I had to 'deal' with constantly. I have heard some stories though. I think it's important for me to say here that the these organizations are illegal and not officially recognized by any of the NPHC organizations.

I did meet a Sigma Dove once in a mall that said to me: 'Hey Sis'. Of Course, I didn't appreciate this and corrected her as nicely as possible. On the other hand I met some Zeta Knights once who were super cool .

I have seen some arguments on other boards EXPLODE about these organizations. Sometimes, people can get downright nasty about it and I think that's a shame.
Old 03-27-2000, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Question

Ok, I admit that I am a little ignorant in this area. I have a very vague notion of what these organizations are. So, while we are on the topic, would anyone like to enlighten me? I don't really understand why these groups exist or the benefits to members (vs. the benefits of a GLO).

And before you start ranting , this is just an innocent question to gather some info, not necessarliy hear how evil or grand you think these organizations are (unless it's relevant to your post).

Hey, thanks!

------------------
Phi Beta Fraternity
Old 03-27-2000, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

We had a discussion about this in the AKA forum a while ago. I was a Kappa Diamond during my freshman year. As I stated before, the young ladies who participated went on to become members of the various BGL sororities. We were always mindful not to overstep our boundaries. I think that is where the problems with these groups start. They begin thinking of themselves as a "sorority" and they are not. The Kappas on my campus were really cool. They always looked out for us. I don't have a problem with these organizations as long as they are respectful and do not think they are something that they are not.

SilverTurtle,

These organizations are known as "support groups". Depending on the campus you are on, that could mean a few different things. On my campus, they participate in community service with the GLO, assist with fund raisers, help put together events sponsored by the organizations, etc. Usually, the members are mostly freshmen who are eager to experience some aspect of greek life, want to get involved in community service, want to meet people, etc. They are able to seek membership in a GLO if they choose to, however, some schools have restrictions on freshmen pledging.
These groups began years ago and their names differ from campus to campus.
Old 03-27-2000, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

My fraternity banned our former Little Sis organization- a female auxiliary called "Daughters of the Crossed Swords-" in 1991. I'm not sure what the point of such an organization is, but I'm not in need of any support group, so I'm in favor of eliminating it. If people want to be affiliated with a GLO, they should just join one!

------------------
andrew watters
Theta Chi –*ucla
Old 03-28-2000, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Eventually most of them do join a GLO. Like I said before, they are mostly freshmen who are not able to pledge because of restrictions imposed by their campus or the organization. My campus did not allow first sememster freshmen to pledge even if they came in with college credits. And the support groups are not recognized by the corporate offices. It is more of a "tradition" that has continued more than anything else.
Old 03-28-2000, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
Question

A while ago, I read on another board that one of these organizations, the Alpha Angels, are actually incorporated now as a seperate org, even though some of the have different names, (Alpha Angel, Alpha Sweethearts etc...) Can someone shed some light on this??
Old 03-28-2000, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

On my campus, affiliate orgs are seen differently depending on the group. We have Delta beauxs and sigma rhomeos which noone really takes seriously. We also have alpha sweethearts and kappa sweethears and iota sweethearts. The only "acceptable" group to sorority girls is the alpha sweethearts, since most of them were once a-sweets themselves. The other two are looked at in a negative way, called sluts and all that, for what reason I'm not sure. On the incorporation issue, it seems a lot of the guy affiliate orgs have taken that step. I myself am not greek, but I found these two sites to be a little over the top:
http://members.tripod.com/~BEAUXINCFAMU/home.html
http://members.tripod.com/~Enigama/rhomeo.html
Old 04-01-2000, 02:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Cool

In the case of Kappa Sigma, little sisters, auxillary groups, and "starduster" groups are banned by the Kappa Sigma Constitution and By-Laws. I believe that it is thought to be degrading or sexist to perpetuate such organizations.

Interestingly, I remember coming across a Kappa Sigma chapter Web Site with a picture of "little sisters" hanging out at the House wearing Kappa Sigma Letters. I don't recall the Chapter name. It was during our Colony period that I saw it, but in retrospect it is disturbing. Especially, because they were wearing our letters.

Last edited by James; 10-02-2004 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-01-2000, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I think most of the auxillary groups have been banned by the sorority/fraternity they were initially associated with. Which is why most of these groups went and incorporated the gropus themselves. If you are incorporated as a seperate entity away from said sorority/frat, how can you still function in the way in which you were created?? You can't, so as of today, what is the purpose of these groups? <-- A response from a current member, is welcomed

Anyway, in my opinion, most if the conflict from these groups and the GLO is because they do start to overstep their boundaries and see themselves for things that they are not especially when they branched off and incorporated.
Old 04-10-2000, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
In response to your question, Ms.CrimsonCream, here's some perspective: my sorority began as a little sister group to an NIFC fraternity. When the fraternity phased out their little sister groups nationally in the late 80s, the women in the little sister group (our Founders) realized that they wanted to stay together as an organized group, because they found the association to be meaningful even without the fraternity's aegis. Ultimately, they reorganized as our sorority.

In the process, I would say there was a bit of fundamental change to the nature of the organization - but more so in the structure than its ideals and goals. I think those had already evolved, while the little sister organizaton still existed.

Hope this helps!

BTW, from your handle, I assume you're a Delta?
Old 04-10-2000, 10:08 AM

Cool

I’ve seen all kinds of little sister groups, from ones where all they did was drink & boink the brothers, to ones where the little sisters basically ran the fraternity, and when the fraternity’s nationals forced them to disband, the fraternity collapsed. I didn’t have a problem with them (2 of my best friends were PSK little sisters) but a lot of my sorority sisters did.
Old 06-06-2001, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to legacypbs Send a message via Yahoo to legacypbs
Exclamation

To find out about Sigma Doves check out my webpage:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~viciousoi

I'm from an old school greek heritage and I understand that there shouldn't be any problems between auxileries & the big bro big sis organizations. Some people don't want to be greek but do want to support the other organizations. The problem comes when they outshine the greek orgs. I can get deeper on this discussion so please reply.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Blu-Scholar
Well. I am a member of the tradional Sigma Rhomeo, not this "fraternity" they have created now. Our organization was founded back in 1936 to be a direct helping aid of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. Of course these organizations cannot have ties with their prospective big bro/sis so they did choose to go on and incorporate. Now As Ms. CRIMSOMCREAM stated ealier, they is not pupose now. It was just a memory. Some chapters still do respect the relationship with their aux and still unofficially associate with them.

As far as the question of why not join a greek-lettered org. I am a member of several greek-lettered orgs, but I joined Sigma Rhomeo because of the high respect that I have for Sigma Gamma Rho. Not becuz I couldnt pledge somthing else, or becuz I wanted to rival a frat. but simply becuz of how I felt about Sigma Gamma Rho.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Scholar View Post
Well. I am a member of the tradional Sigma Rhomeo, not this "fraternity" they have created now. Our organization was founded back in 1936 to be a direct helping aid of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. Of course these organizations cannot have ties with their prospective big bro/sis so they did choose to go on and incorporate. Now As Ms. CRIMSOMCREAM stated ealier, they is not pupose now. It was just a memory. Some chapters still do respect the relationship with their aux and still unofficially associate with them.

As far as the question of why not join a greek-lettered org. I am a member of several greek-lettered orgs, but I joined Sigma Rhomeo because of the high respect that I have for Sigma Gamma Rho. Not becuz I couldnt pledge somthing else, or becuz I wanted to rival a frat. but simply becuz of how I felt about Sigma Gamma Rho.
The last post in this thread is from 2001.