GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,568
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, Weaponxcq
» Online Users: 2,267
0 members and 2,267 guests
No Members online

Old 02-16-2001, 03:29 PM

Thumbs up Were you ever a Chapter Consultant?

Hi everyone,
Just wondering if anyone out there (or someone you know) was a Chapter Consultant?
I think this would be one of the most fun jobs to have!

For newbies who may not know what a Chapter Consultant is:
Chapter Consultant serves as an official representative of the Sorority/Fraternity. She travels throughout the U.S. and Canada visiting collegiate chapters during the school year. She gains valuable experience and a lifetime of memories during her travels as she meets and works with chapter leaders, members, new members, advisers, campus officials and International Officers.

CCs are special women who represent a variety of geographical and academic backgrounds. All CCs are initiated members and many of them held campus or chapter offices. They are chosen because they possess intelligence, enthusiasm, personality, self-confidence, and a strong commitment to their fraternity/sorority and its ideals. They thrive on challenges and enjoy utilizing their personal expertise to contribute to the success and growth of the Fraternity's chapters and its members."

Looking forward to hearing the replies!

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-16-2001, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I was a consultant for Chi Omega and it was great! I met tons of people and traveled all the way to the east coast, to Montana, and the Mid-West! I loved seeing other chapter's houses and trying regional food. I met tons of wonderful people, both at the chapters I traveled to and all my colleagues at our Executive Headquarters. Being able to help chapters was wonderful and I wish I knew more whether or not I had a permanent impact on them. Other good things: tons of frequent flyer miles and professional clothes paid for by a small, but helpful wardrobe allowance.

What's bad about it, though, is what kept me from doing it longer. Even though Chi Omega is great because they hire tons of consultants, so the work is spread more thinly and we can pay more attention to each chapter, I still felt like I was on the road too much. I know for some other fraternities/ sororities they are on the road for a month or two or more at a time. Well, I was never gone longer than 3 weeks, but I found out I am not cut out to travel for work, away from my boyfriend. I much prefer traveling for fun with my BF!! The phone bill got really high
Also, since I am a liberal woman, the conservatism of some people was occasionally stifling. howeevr, I really enjoyed the different perspectives and backgrounds.

But, it was an experience I will never forget. I kept a photo album with pics of every chapter I visited and a journal as I traveled. I learned so much and I hope I also helped to teach others. And it was a great way to continue my Chi Omega experience which was so important to me all 4 years of college. I really miss being that involved now! But, I guess sooner or later I needed to learn that I couldn't live XO 24/7!
Old 02-20-2001, 04:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I was a chapter consultant for Alpha Gam before you were born! (1974-75) It was a memorable experience and I'm so glad I did it. My job was different from most since I worked with extension--I went to campuses that didn't have Alpha Gam chapters to inquire about the possibility of starting them.

Chapter consultant programs have gotten much more sophisticated since the 70's but the result is the same -- go for it! You'll never regret it.

Old 02-23-2001, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

I actually am a travelling consultant right now for Zeta Beta Tau Fraternity. My official title is Chapter & Expansion Consultant; my time is split between working with existing groups and developing new ones.

I totally agree that being on the road for weeks on end can be a difficult experience. I don't mind the driving or the hotels, but coming straight out of my undergraduate experience, I miss seeing all my friends everyday.
Old 02-23-2001, 06:32 PM
Artimis

While I'm not a consultant as described above, I currently serving an appoint as an expansion representive to a local colony. Its been very rewarding watching the group blossom into a chapter. Expansion Reps for my sisterhood, typically live within a few hours of a foundling group, and serve as their primary contact to the National Organization. Having been a founder for my local chapter, being able to help them has reminded me of the dedication and respect all founding memebers deserve. Its a unique opperunity to see it from both sides.

------------------

Beta Chapter Alumna and Founder
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies

Sisters by nature; Friends by Choice