GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,597
Threads: 115,517
Welcome to our newest member, kayashulze3611
» Online Users: 1,302
1 members and 1,301 guests
zhannahivanovo8

Old 05-10-2003, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Summer Rush Begins!!!

Just got the first batch of rush applications in today...some absolute monster studs, and of course some major duds.

I'm really super excited to actually see these guys are!

I'll post here regularly, "rush from the other side", and since it's summer rush, it's probably different from what most of you are used to.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-10-2003, 07:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up right on....

first rush story of the new season...
can't wait.
Old 05-10-2003, 08:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
Its like watching a TV show... lol

I think at one time we did summer rush... and a winter rush... but now we dont...
Old 05-10-2003, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Wondering when the best time is for my son to send in his application. They haven't even had graduation yet.

I want him to keep an open mind, but one fraternity is in constant contact and inviting him (and his friends) to every single activity allowed. I am afraid he will make up his mind before he gets a chance to meet and feel comfortable with other fraternities.

Any suggestions???

I sure would appeciate some help from the guys.
Pretty please with a cherry on top!
PMs are good!
Old 05-11-2003, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey Beta
I just got a call from your house
ill definatly check you guys out this summer!
Old 05-12-2003, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay, just to let you guys know this thread will be updated by me, probably once a week throughout the rush season, and that update will occur likely on sundays when I get back from Nebraska and actually have stories to tell.

So far, all that is new that rushees have started getting phone calls, as sthpolrd mentioned. The process of going through the rush applications is by no means simple. My house tries to set minimum guidelines of who we will call based on ACT score and GPA. Some rushees based on this info will not be contacted by our house. Other rushees who may have similar scores will be called b/c they know someone in the house. It really is a subjective process. I know that the first major decision for the rush chairs will be whether or not we will have a barbeque on thursday night, whether enough rushees will make it into town for it to be worthwhile.

First big rush event is out in Western Nebraska on May 24th, Ogallala to be exact. Only three rushees came to it last year but we signed one of them, plus all the brothers had a great time after the rush party, I wasn't able to make it there, but heard the stories.

JAM, my advice would be to look over the application. If there is a space for the applicant to say they do/do not want to be contacted before graduation, then make your selection and send that app in! If there's not a space to make your preference known, and you want to wait to be contacted, then wait until graduation has passed. I'm not sure exactly how summer fraternity rush goes in the South, so I don't know how it will affect your son's ability to meet with all the houses (which I agree is important). For us here in NE, summer rush is for the most part the only time that houses sign guys and rush ends before school starts. But on the whole I'd say it would be better to get info in sooner rather than later. I'm assuming that by getting the app in then other house will begin to call since they will have his info.

Last edited by Betarulz!; 05-12-2003 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Good luck guys! Betarulz, I will enjoy reading another side of recruitment. Thank you for sharing your experiences.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aopirose
Good luck guys! Betarulz, I will enjoy reading another side of recruitment. Thank you for sharing your experiences.
DITTO

Thanks Betarulz. I have NO IDEA how fraternity rush really works.
I appreciate all the help I can get. I'll check out the application today!
Old 05-12-2003, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
yeah Betarulz, I think we all appreciate hearing a guy's version of rush! Especially since summer rush is unfamiliar territory for so many of us. Good luck to your chapter and keep us updated!
Old 05-12-2003, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
LOL, I read the title of this thread and I think "sorority boy" all the ay.

hahahahahahahaahah "YAY SUMMER RUSH!" I'm not drinking haterade or anything but that's funny.

Ok, trying to study more now.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Rush has been in full swing for a solid week now, and last night was the first rush event of the summer, and pretty much the first time the brothers were able to meet the rushees.

Had a Barbeque at the house, which is a weekly Thursday night event. I couldn't make it b/c I still haven't found a job here in KC, so to make to Lincoln wasn't a possibility. All the information I'm getting is from our chapter's message board, which is a great tool for the rush chairs in getting the word out about guys.

8 rushees came out for the BBQ. Pretty good numbers for this early, considering a lot of the rushees have yet to graduate. (Some rushees ask to not be contacted until they have graduated, so the % of rushees going through rush is only partial).

2 of those 8 guys were given bid cards, so we may have our first signings sometime this week. Most of the reviews have been positive of all the guys that were there, but a couple were apparently difficult to get a read on, and one guy was very quiet, and only one person had a decent talk with him. We have a bunch of guys from one city in NE that came together and from the comments looks like they were difficult to get on an individual basis, which I think is an important thing to see, since it's unlikely we will sign all of them.

Tommorow is a rush event in Ogallala, which should get guys from Western Nebraska. Again I won't be able to head out that way, but I'll post more comments when they come in.

Next Saturday is a rush event in Sioux Falls. I'm definately going to be there for that, not sure if I'll make the thursday night barbeque b/c I hope to have a job by then but we'll see.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Let me say--
I am really impressed by all the work that your chapter does over the summer!

Good luck w/ getting those signings.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck! I hope you have a pledge class full of great men!
-M
Old 05-23-2003, 02:28 PM

I happened to be in Lincoln and was invited to a Delt summer rush event a few years ago.

The two sound very similar (BBQ Steak sandwiches, etc on the patio). I looked at the applications and was absolutely blown away by the quality of the rushees. There were probably 6 or 8 men there that evening (NHS members, student body officers, national scholars, athletes, etc.). Three bids were given out, and all accepted. As I recall, their summer rush pledge class was over thirty that year) Sure takes a lot of pressure off the first couple of weeks of classes.

I, too, am very impressed by the amount of work put into summer rush at UNL. I told "my" chapters about it, but they've never really gotten it together for summer rush.

Best of luck to both Beta and Delt this summer.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a little confused on how this type of fraternity Rush works. You fill out an application and can possibly recieve a bid after just meeting the pnm once after a few hours? and you just keep on giving bids out all summer? I've never experienced summer rush before, could someone please explain the process

thanks in advance