GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,286
1 members and 2,285 guests
Xidelt

Old 07-16-2002, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMelissa
The thing about ZTA symbols in the Little Mermaid is true, and so is the Hallmark crown thing. If you know ZTA symbols at all, then it's not hard to find them in the movie, but some are related to ritual so I can't tell you but I just thought I'd let y'all know that those aren't just rumors...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-16-2002, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

I thought people weren't supposed to release things related to ritual.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 07-16-2002, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Dionysus:

The Zeta references in the Little Mermaid are attributed to ritual but only a Zeta would know this. Private information was not actually released since only the animator (the ZTA) knew what she was doing.
Old 07-16-2002, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dionysus
I thought people weren't supposed to release things related to ritual.
Well... if they're mindful of the obligations that made them members then no, they're not supposed to.

Certain symbols, colors, mascots and mottoes are considered open (public) knowledge, though a deeper meaning to them may be explained in the initiation ritual.

For example, the open motto of my fraternity is Causa latet vis est notissima - Latin for 'the cause is hidden, the results are well known.' To an initiated member of Alpha Sigma Phi, that motto brings a new depth of meaning when the secret motto of the fraternity is revealed at initiation.

I am also a Freemason, and we have an unwritten rule in our lodges: if it's written or explained in the Monitor (the book containing the written portions of our ceremonies), it can be discussed openly with non-members, otherwise, it's esoteric and can only be discussed in the presence of members after certain security measures have been taken.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 07-16-2002, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

In one of the Jurassic Park movies the helicopter doors close and each has a huge theta and chi, forming theta chi...useless info. from my boyfriend...
Old 07-16-2002, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Dr. Seuss was a Sigma Phi Epsilon and his wife a Kappa Delta. From what I've heard his wife "edited" his stories and would add parts to it, one of them being a KD ritual-type thing, but she would never tell him which. Any initiated Kappa Delta can watch/read "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and find a few KD things. I'm sure there are some Sig Ep things hidden in there too...
Old 07-16-2002, 09:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to EagleChick19
Wow!!!!
Old 07-17-2002, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

The SigEp whistle (yes that’s right we have a whistle) was used in a movie but I forget which one it’s an older movie. I’m not sure who but one of our alumni must have worked on the movie because that is too random to be a coincidence.
Old 07-17-2002, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Katey Alpha Gam Send a message via AIM to Katey Alpha Gam Send a message via Yahoo to Katey Alpha Gam
Ah but my AGD sisters-we do have a little reference. If you remember the ad that was out last summer for Fritos Scoops with Dave Gordon (is that his name, the racecar driver??? I don't like racing so I don't know) and his wife and she is pruning roses...they are red and buff!!! I do wish we had more. Quick, someone invent something cool or start a company and use a squirrel!!

Also, in the movie The Sweetest Thing (GREAT MOVIE BTW) when they run into the gas station bathroom, on the wall it says "SN Northwestern" cool huh??
Old 07-17-2002, 02:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Katey Alpha Gam
If you remember the ad that was out last summer for Fritos Scoops with Dave Gordon
JEFF GORDON!!!

Any other Pi Phi references? Other than Suzanne Sugarbaker on Designing Women?

TG
Old 07-17-2002, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Katey Alpha Gam Send a message via AIM to Katey Alpha Gam Send a message via Yahoo to Katey Alpha Gam
Jeff, Dave...they both have 4 letters!!!

I also just remembered that in Golden Girls (BTW Best show...EVER) Blanche Deveraux is going to her sorority reunion in one episode and she talks about the great times she had as an Alpha Gam. Which I thought was kinda odd b/c Rue McClanahan is a KAO, but I figured someone who wrote it is a sister or she has a family member that is one and wanted to say it for them. Either way it's super cool!!!
Old 07-17-2002, 11:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to EagleChick19
Old 07-17-2002, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to fairytate Send a message via AIM to fairytate
For all those Alpha Gams out there....

Amber from Survivor in Austrailia was an AGD, as well as Gloria Loring (an actress from Days of Our Lives).

We've also had a Miss America, but that was in 1947!

This info, along with lots of other interesting facts about Accomplished Alpha Gams can be found on our website
www.alphagammadelta.org
Old 07-17-2002, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Betty White, "Rose" on the Golden Girls, is a Delta Zeta. I watch the show all the time trying to catch her say something about her sorority! (However, I doubt they had sorority girls in Saint Oliff!) Oh, we used to have a whistle too! (I've just never heard it...plus I can't whistle so I could never do it!)

Blaire

So proud to be a DELTA ZEE!
Old 07-17-2002, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

My two cents....

There's a Beta Theta Pi paddle on the wall during the opening credits of the sitcom "Coach" (before he moved to Florida). I don't remember any episodes that specifically mention him being a fraternity member, though. (Maybe that's a blessing. ) As I recall, none of the actors in the show were Betas; one of the producers saw the paddle somewhere, liked it, bought it, and hung the prop next to the door.

But what the heck, I'll take free publicity anytime.