GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,612
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, sydnemaarleyz20
» Online Users: 2,514
1 members and 2,513 guests
PrettyBoy
Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteASAbug View Post
So I'm not the only one who feels this way? Good to know.
I'm glad I'm not the only one either...I feel like I am reading the recruitment story of Jessica and Elizabeth Wakefield from the Sweet Valley High books.

It's entertaining to say the least, but I have to say it's a bit off putting how "perfect" everything is and how groomed from birth the OP and her sister were. I'm not saying it is made up, but it's reading like a book and the ostentatious manner in which the OP writes just makes me think that she's tooting her horn a bit loud... Seriously, we get it...

Keep on with the story, though...

Last edited by FloridaTish; 07-09-2007 at 10:16 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-09-2007, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I just started reading the thread this morning and it's captivating but it does seems like it's more along the lines of how I love watching scary movies even if I do know they are completely made up and don't happen in real life.

Either way (real or fake), keep writing! It's very entertaining!!
Old 07-09-2007, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I hate to do the "support via PM" thing, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. My "source" said that no one did hose and heels in the eighties, espadrilles and sundresses were the in thing. To quote
Quote:
Nobody - not the governor's daughter, not a Whitney heiress, not the nouveau riche chick whose parents bought her way into the old-money cotillion. Nobody
I'm too young to know for sure myself but I believe her.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaTish View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one either...I feel like I am reading the recruitment story of Jessica and Elizabeth Wakefield from the Sweet Valley High books.

It's entertaining to say the least, but I have to say it's a bit off putting how "perfect" everything is and how groomed from birth the OP and her sister were. Seriously, we get it...

Sweet Valley High!!!! I seriously was trying to think of this book series while I was reading this and just couldn't figure it out!!!

Oh, and I actually had a question regarding bid day at southern schools... The writer mentions that on bid day all the greeks in her family were going to come to her campus to celebrate. Is that something that is done normally at large southern schools?
Old 07-09-2007, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieXi View Post
The writer mentions that on bid day all the greeks in her family were going to come to her campus to celebrate. Is that something that is done normally at large southern schools?
I can't speak from experience, but it is quite common from what I've read in other posts about SEC recruitment/bid days.

Last edited by FloridaTish; 07-09-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You forgot to mention the panty hose....granted, I didn't go through super-southern SEC recruitment, but pany hose in 100 degree heat???? One would have been mocked by the majority of sororities if one showed up in panty hose in the summer!
I went through recruitment at an SEC school & I can't imagine anyone wearing panty hose in recruitment.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh good, I'm not the only one that thought it all sounded too perfect!

Nonetheless it is interesting so keep telling!
Old 07-09-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteASAbug View Post
So I'm not the only one who feels this way? Good to know.
Trust me. You're not the only one. There are many of us who have been saying so via PM.

Also, I went through recruitment in the South. The idea is to wear as little clothing as possible without looking like a tramp...it's 90-something degrees outside so you definitely don't want to be in uncomfortable pantyhose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
I hate to do the "support via PM" thing, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. My "source" said that no one did hose and heels in the eighties, espadrilles and sundresses were the in thing. I'm too young to know for sure myself but I believe her.
I don't think this is the 80s since she talks about "Bratz" jeans. Still, hose and heels are not popular at Southern schools today. Sundresses or capris w/ a nice blouse are the way to go.

Last edited by ZTAngel; 07-09-2007 at 10:49 AM. Reason: quoting drolefille
Old 07-09-2007, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaTish View Post

It's entertaining to say the least, but I have to say it's a bit off putting how "perfect" everything is and how groomed from birth the OP and her sister were. I'm not saying it is made up, but it's reading like a book and the ostentatious manner in which the OP writes just makes me think that she's tooting her horn a bit loud... Seriously, we get it...

You stole my thoughts exactly... I'm not sure how many petite, size zero, co-valedictorian, varsity cheerleader, blonde-blue eyed and blue blooded identical twins there are out there with a former Miss America runner up as their doting mom... I've no doubt that today they're successful identical twin attorneys at daddy's law firm. Nice story, but that's all it is. Love the part about the hokey PNM as comic relief. That's just textbook. LOL. It reminds me the teen novel fan fiction my girlfriends and I used to write when we were in middle school.

I miss Sweet Valley High! Is the OP supposed to be Liz or Jess? I wonder if Lyndsay is code for "Lila." Aren't they supposed to be joining the Unicorns, the hippest secret clique in school?
Old 07-09-2007, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
I miss Sweet Valley High! Is the OP supposed to be Liz or Jess? I wonder if Lyndsay is code for "Lila." Aren't they supposed to be joining the Unicorns, the hippest secret clique in school?
Nah, since it's Rush, it will be DPhiE.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

JITY?

Jen (aries), is this you? I know we haven't had a Brookline University update in a while and you already played the poor orphan storyline through!
Old 07-09-2007, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm honestly disappointed because it would be neat to hear a twin's recruitment story. I'm not even big on these retro ones, and it would still be neat. But shove one more point up into the negative column... now we have fake stories along with the real ones.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
I'm guessing since the OP is the writer, she would be the Elizabeth of the two! Remember though, Jessica and Liz were members of their high school sorority Pi Beta Alpha...I'm just waiting for Todd Wilkins and Bruce Patman to enter the storyline...

I remember way too much about SVH. They were great books when I was 13 though!

Anyway...back to the thread. I really do want to hear what happens!

Last edited by FloridaTish; 07-09-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh, and I actually had a question regarding bid day at southern schools... The writer mentions that on bid day all the greeks in her family were going to come to her campus to celebrate. Is that something that is done normally at large southern schools?
Yes it is very common! Most of my cousins went to Alabama and it was just kind of expected that their mom (my aunt) would go to Bid Day for at least a minute to take pictures and all that kind of stuff. Personally I would have died if my mom had shown up at bid day but to each their own!

And I don't know, maybe I'm just naive but I didn't get the feeling this was fake. In fact I'm guessing she's at OU and her sister is at Tulsa. I just had a feeling from the way she described them in the beginning and how she said it's not really a southern campus but still competitive. But like I said, maybe I'm just naive.

Plus with the comment about the Braz jeans she said she hates it when she goes in malls now (as an adult) and only sees Bratz jeans in her size. So I'm not sure why y'all would assume that means she had to have gone through rush recently.

I just think some of y'all might be too quick to judge based on how perfect she seems. I get the impression that most people on this site were the polar opposite of this particular PNM when they went through rush so they are having a hard time relating to her story.

Ok I'm off my soap box. Please continue!!!
Old 07-09-2007, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

It's not that I don't believe her, it's that after re-reading her posts, I'm just really put off with how she refers to herself and her family. I understand having pride, etc...but the way she writes is just so boastful and egocentric, it's rather unappealing...right down to the size 0 dress size and the reference to the "large" diamond drop necklace. Skinny and rich, cheerleader and prom queen. What's next? A Nobel Peace Prize?

I'll admit it's like a car wreck, though. You can't help but look...