GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,647
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Rachiokzo
» Online Users: 1,176
0 members and 1,176 guests
No Members online

Old 08-28-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
This visual made me laugh! But, Irish is right...however, I am inclined to blame the size of our state as much as the people. I don't think women are consciously keeping the tiers alive but this tiny state ( for reference, the whole state has a population the size of the St. Louis area) contributes to the problem.

You can play Six Degrees of Separation in every town and find someone who knows someone that you know- particularly if you went to the UA. So, by default, the traditional chapters and their reputations are more well known throughout the state simply because many of the citizens of arkansas either stay here after graduation or return here later in life.

People moving to the state from elsewhere go two places - Little Rock or Northwest Arkansas ( wal mart land) so there isn't a lot of opportunity for alumnae from other campuses to knock down those perceived reputations that are percolating in the gazillion small towns around the state. Then, those girls from those small towns head to the u of a and hear of groups they know nothing about or know very few adult women from those groups and the tiers continue...

My 2 cents...
This sheds a lot of light on the situation. I hadn't realized Arkansas' population was that small. It sounds similar to Mississippi.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Living in a large metropolitan area with a population constantly in flux I find this fascinating.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

This has answered so many questions I had, thank you for the answers. It's really fascinating to hear the fine details of a huge Greek system and how things like population of the state can have such a huge impact on it. It's all so foreign to me and just incredibly fascinating.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
This visual made me laugh! But, Irish is right...however, I am inclined to blame the size of our state as much as the people. I don't think women are consciously keeping the tiers alive but this tiny state ( for reference, the whole state has a population the size of the St. Louis area) contributes to the problem.

You can play Six Degrees of Separation in every town and find someone who knows someone that you know- particularly if you went to the UA. So, by default, the traditional chapters and their reputations are more well known throughout the state simply because many of the citizens of arkansas either stay here after graduation or return here later in life.

People moving to the state from elsewhere go two places - Little Rock or Northwest Arkansas ( wal mart land) so there isn't a lot of opportunity for alumnae from other campuses to knock down those perceived reputations that are percolating in the gazillion small towns around the state. Then, those girls from those small towns head to the u of a and hear of groups they know nothing about or know very few adult women from those groups and the tiers continue...

My 2 cents...
And to make the circle even smaller - the percentage of the population that is college-educated is microscopic. It really makes the microcosm tiny.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh Irish, I have to disagree with the " microscopic" number of college educated in Arkansas. That is painting the state with a pretty wide brush. I am sure it is comparative to other southern states. I live in missouri these days and I assure you I meet plenty of non- college educated people.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh Irish, I have to disagree with the " microscopic" number of college educated in Arkansas. That is painting the state with a pretty wide brush. I am sure it is comparative to other southern states. I live in missouri these days and I assure you I meet plenty of non- college educated people.
Just because I was curious...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0...=West_Virginia

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-...ucated-states/

http://www.educationnews.org/educati...ucated-states/

@~/~~~~
Old 08-29-2013, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

In their defense, in places where jobs like agriculture and mining are huge, especially relative other industry, college degrees are good but not critical. HOWEVER, they do provide enough income to send their daughters off to college...
Old 08-29-2013, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
In their defense, in places where jobs like agriculture and mining are huge, especially relative other industry, college degrees are good but not critical. HOWEVER, they do provide enough income to send their daughters off to college...

oh hell: http://replygif.net/1162

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 08-29-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Gosh - let's not get this thread hijacked into defending our southern states educated/non-educated citizens!! I noticed that ASTAlumna has provided a few lists that contain several of our states - AR, MS, OK, TX, etc. So we can all collectively cringe at that data. And I started it because I always feel I have to defend my home state!

I do think the thread has done some good at shining light on why some of these state schools have the tough job of diminishing tiers. It is so much more than tradition...
Old 08-29-2013, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I do think the thread has done some good at shining light on why some of these state schools have the tough job of diminishing tiers. It is so much more than tradition...
You said something that I have been saying for quite awhile, just more eloquently. Those are absolutely the reasons behind rigidity in the tier system.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 08-29-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
No offense intended gee-ess! I live in the glass house called Oklafreakinghoma. I'm just pointing out that a college education is a relatively new idea to a huge part of the population in these states. Virtually everyone I know has a college education, but I know that most of the older generation does not, and in the outlying areas almost no one does.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

It should also be noted that it was not uncommon for women in the 60s and 70s to go to college for 2 years and not complete a degree. Some NPC groups count these women as alumnae and some only count graduated seniors unless they specifically petitioned for early alumnae status (because of marriage or transferring etc.).
Old 08-30-2013, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I grew up in Arkansas, and was supposed to go to UA but switched to a smaller school at the last minute. Do I regret it? Kinda, sorta. But I was a small-town girl and the size of the campus scared me.