GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,665
Threads: 115,520
Welcome to our newest member, aanneaeswifta59
» Online Users: 1,529
0 members and 1,529 guests
No Members online

Old 02-04-2005, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
I'm late to the party but I finally put my order in!

Now how about a trip to Chicago on the book tour?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-17-2005, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Darden holds no punches. It is this true and raw emotion that makes you eager to keep reading, even after the story has ended. Every word on the page is real, breathing life into each character and emotion into each experience. You become attached to the characters and invested in the experience as if you were right there when it all happened.
-- A Zeta in Washington, DC

Darden presents many pressing issues including fraternity pledging, connecting with family, finding love and soul searching all with astounding accuracy. I am willing to bet most student leaders at any college campus can relate in more than one way to the struggles that Adrian endures throughout the novel. This work is a masterpiece for those entering college, current college students, and college graduates alike.
-- Alumnus, St. John's University

Greetings. As you certainly know by now, I have written a novel entitled LAZARUS. It is the story of Adrian Collins, a gay, black college sophomore who is pursuing membership in a fraternity while trying to keep his relationship secret. That plot probably sounds similar to people you may know – it might even be similar to your own experiences. I feel that I’ve written one of the best novels of 2005. In addition, the early reviews for my novel have compared me to Pulitzer prize-winning novelists. Many have said that I have surpassed E. Lynn Harris in storytelling. The synopsis of LAZARUS can be found here: http://thebook.oldgoldsoul.com More advanced reviews can be found here: http://thebook.oldgoldsoul.com/praise.html

As you also know, I am self-publishing LAZARUS. My intent is not to try to become rich off of this novel – that would be nearly impossible for any first-time author. After years of trying to find an agent and being told that the market was oversaturated with “black” fiction, I decided to forge my own path. My objective in self-publishing this novel is to get my work out there to the public and publishing industry professionals. I figured if agents wouldn’t take a chance on me, I would take my work directly to readers and let my work speak for itself.

But friends….I still need your help. My deadline to submit materials to my book manufacturer is rapidly approaching and I am in danger of having to postpone production because of a lack of pre-orders. The book manufacturer is sympathetic to self-published authors and they are giving me a reasonable quote for a modest number of copies. I am contributing nearly my entire savings and have taken out a loan to defray the costs, but I still need pre-orders to make LAZARUS a reality.

By self-publishing my novel, I hope to get attention to my talents and skills as a writer, not make a profit. All proceeds from this novel will be reinvested right back into my career. All I’ve ever wanted to be is a writer, and I hope you can help. If you are interested in pre-ordering LAZARUS, please visit: http://thebook.oldgoldsoul.com/order.html

Thank you very much for even reading this far. I hope you are moved to support this endeavor. Feel free to forward this email to anyone you feel would be interested. A new visitor to my website is just as valuable as a pre-order.

Thank you so much. God bless.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: The city with the beautiful Lake Michigan skyline and Deep dish pizza!
Thank you for updating. My computer now blocks your website I wish you much success!
Old 02-22-2005, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey folks, today is the LAST DAY to pre-order LAZARUS! Get yours now!

http://thebook.oldgoldsoul.com/order.html

Rashid Darden
Author of LAZARUS
www.oldgoldsoul.com
Old 03-22-2005, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey everybody! Thanks for the well-wishes on LAZARUS!!! I had a great weekend with my Alpha Phi Omega Brothers at Georgetown as we welcomed 14 neos into our brotherhood. I also celebrated the sixth anniversary of my line’s initiation! It was an awesome weekend, and I updated my photo gallery with pictures. If you’re still an undergrad, seriously consider becoming part of Alpha Phi Omega – it’s one of the best decisions I ever made.

www.oldgoldsoul.com is constantly being updated! In addition to plenty of photographs, the diary is updated nearly every day! People tell me it’s funny – I just tell it like it is, I suppose.

For the latest updates on appearances, click here: http://rashid.oldgoldsoul.com/appearances.html If you’d like to arrange a book talk, signing, or include me on a panel discussion, just shoot me an email! Also, even though I don’t currently have the resources to travel EVERYWHERE in the US, please let me know of any annual festivals or fairs that happen in your area, no matter how big or small. That kind of information is invaluable to me, especially for advanced planning.

New praise has been added! Come see what people are saying about LAZARUS! http://thebook.oldgoldsoul.com/praise.html

As always, you may order LAZARUS at this link: http://thebook.oldgoldsoul.com/order.html. They are still $14.95 plus shipping, and I hope you’re able to purchase one – it’s not too late!

LAZARUS is on the way! We are still aiming to send books out during the first week of April, as advertised, but I must admit there have been slight delays with our printer. However, I highly recommend them! Shoot me an email for their contact info if you are considering publishing your work on your own.

Thanks for all the support! Keep checking the site out for all the latest updates!
Old 03-22-2005, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

How do we get a signed copy?
Old 03-22-2005, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AXiD670
How do we get a signed copy?
If you pre-order, I will sign your copy.

<----- Still practicing my signature, because that thing is pure d. chicken scratch.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I have to go pick up my lunch, but I'll be sure to get on that when I get back. I read your preview, and it sucked me in.

ETA: Done!

Last edited by WCUgirl; 03-22-2005 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Dangit, I have to wait until my next payday to order 'cause I am flat broke.

But when it comes, I'll definitely be ordering a copy. I loves reading.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Save the Date

Old Gold Soul Presents:
A Toast to LAZARUS
The Debut Novel of Rashid Darden

Saturday, April 30, 2005
7pm
Takoma Station
6914 Fourth Street, NW
Washington, DC

Just one half-block from the Takoma Metro

RSVP: rashid@oldgoldsoul.com
Old 04-08-2005, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay! I just ordered!
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thursday, April 21, 7:30pm
Black House Book Club: Lazarus
Georgetown University (37th & O Streets, NW)
White-Gravenor Hall, Room 311

Join us to discuss the new novel Lazarus alongside
Rashid Darden, a native Washingtonian, former
Black House resident (1999-2000), and alumnus of
the College of Arts & Sciences (2001). A light
reception with the author will follow the event at
the Black House, located at 1410 36th Street.

Contact Erin Meadors at emm24@georgetown.edu for
more event information. See www.oldgoldsoul.com
for more details on Darden and his work. For more
information on the Black House, see
http://blackhouse.georgetown.edu on the web.

Event Cosponsors:
The Black House
Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity, Mu
Alpha Chapter
GU Pride (In conjunction with PRIDE Week 2005)

Saturday, April 23, 8:00pm
School Dayz: The Georgetown University Step Team
Charity Step Show
Georgetown University (37th & O Streets, NW)
Gaston Hall
$10.00

Featuring: Alpha Phi Alpha, Alpha Kappa Alpha,
Kappa Alpha Psi, Omega Psi Phi, Zeta Phi Beta,
Iota Phi Theta, and the Georgetown University Step Team
Special Appearance by Rashid Darden, Author of Lazarus

Saturday, April 30, 7:00pm
A Toast to LAZARUS: The Debut Novel of Rashid Darden
Takoma Station Tavern
6914 Fourth Street, NW

Join Old Gold Soul as we celebrate the publication
of LAZARUS at the historic Takoma Station Tavern.
Meet Rashid Darden and pick up your very own copy
of his debut novel. Grab a drink from the bar,
order up some appetizers, and then stay for Takoma
Station's legendary live music!
Old 04-18-2005, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Sounds great!! Wish I could be there.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Just a reminder....

Friends,

All of my life, I’ve wanted to be an author.

Now…I am.

Please help me to celebrate the release of LAZARUS, my first novel. We will be convening upon Takoma Station Tavern on this Saturday at 7:00pm. Takoma Station is located at 6814 Fourth Street in Northwest Washington, DC, just one half block from the Takoma Metro.

There will be no cover charge until approximately 8:30pm, so if you’ve never been to Takoma Station, Saturday would be a great time to come try out their drinks and appetizers! Stay through the evening, meet some new friends, come chat with me, pick up a copy of the novel, and then be introduced to a reggae band later in the evening. If you’re not familiar with Takoma Station’s legacy of live music, by all means try them out for the first time this Saturday!

This is the moment of my life that I’ve worked so hard for…all the blood, sweat, and tears shed at Georgetown and American…all the weekends I gave up the past three years just so I could write novels…all of my hard work and what do I have to show for it?

A BOOK!!!!! And I wouldn’t have it any other way. So come celebrate with me!!!!

See you Saturday!!!

Extra special invitation goes to all Coolidge and Georgetown alumni; the Takoma, Riggs Park, and Manor Park communities; Brothers of Alpha Phi Omega; Alphas, AKAs, Deltas, Zetas, SGRhos, and Gamma Sigs; and even the Kappas, Ques, Sigmas, and Iotas.

RSVP: rashid@oldgoldsoul.com

More information about the novel: http://thebook.oldgoldsoul.com/

Reviews: http://thebook.oldgoldsoul.com/praise.html

Excerpts: http://thebook.oldgoldsoul.com/excerpts.html

Order: http://thebook.oldgoldsoul.com/order.html

Rashid Darden
Author of LAZARUS
www.oldgoldsoul.com
Old 04-25-2005, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

By the way....the event at the Black House was very nice! We had about ten people show up all together, and we had great conversation about both the novel and my experiences as an openly gay undergrad who was heavily involved in the black community. Pictures are on my site!

Also, the step show was great!!! I am STILL working on the pics for those, but they will be on my site in an hour or so.